Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Well done Sing!Nice to see you there!!!

And for updating here my work...

48 catches with 3 poi cacade and I must have it really solid 'till the end of the summer.

2 poi throttle... hybrids and some antispin weave to use instead the normale one...

Acciaio devil
EDITED_BY: Acciaio (1154014922)

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Tonight I smoothed out forwards 3bt btb weave and then was working on reverse 5bt btb weave... and I can already tell my shoulders are going to cane me tomorrow!

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Transition from forward 5bt weave to BTB weave... And from BTB weave, linking to like just any move I already know.

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Im working on flowers.. I sort of got those round petal flowers, but those sharp ones that ive seen yuta and meenik do. In my opinion, it is the most breathe-taking and gorgeous poi move. Although it may be hard, i believe it will be the move i am most satisfied with.

Also working on manipulating isolations around my body. Very nice move, only, with fire poi its kind of hard to know if the person is doing an isolation or not... Atleast it doesnt look anywhere near as clean as it does with socks. Or is that just me?

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
Isolations look "better" or "cleaner" with socks because you typically see them in the daytime and see the whole sock, and therefore have a larger object for reference to notice the center of rotation changing. With firepoi you typically see them at night and on fire and can't usually make out much of the chain, so its not as easy to notice the rotation point and such because the fire itself is so bright and distracting.S'just how it it.

and those sharp pointed flowers you are talkin about are Antispin flowers, they ROCK!

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Exactly my point. Do you know a thing or two about antispin flowers that you can teach me? I would appreciate any advice given to me.

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
the biggest problem I have with flowers is getting the arm to go straight when it is behind me, and that has a knock on effect of making it tricky to keep in plane, at least for me.

still working on antispin flowers with forward arms, also experimenting with antispin/isolated horizontal pendulumy type things that go high and low, getting a bit closer to getting them looking nice now

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

SickWithWondermember
56 posts

Posted:
right now im working on btb antispin weaves

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
1 poi, 1 nun-chuck. you'd have to see it to believe it. open hand technique with the chuck, organized chaos with the poi.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
Throws - continuous btb, but to same hands - I should try
proper back crosses. But this is all getting too close to
'I need 3 poi' for my liking ubbrollsmile

Isolating isolations ubblove

~peace is a fire~

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I've given up on 5bt weave for now... cos try as I might (and I understand what I'm "supposed" to do), I can't do it...

Have started playing around with airwraps and some wrist wrap type thingies... seem to be taking to that a lil better...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
5beat weave is not too hard, just get the 3 beat slow and perfect then watch the 5beat tutorial loads. mines still sloppy though

Im trying to get BTB 3beat weave, its proving a nightmare. I can do BTB butterfly reasonably well now though

Ive moved into a new class of moves, away from weaves, butterfly, corkscrew, chasing the sun to BTB stuff, hyperloops, waist wraps, antispin flowers, butterfly weaves. Its both fun and irritating at the same time

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pogo69

I've given up on 5bt weave for now...

I think some moves you just have to wait for.

Instead of waisting a lot of time struggling with a move
you can practice other things and that experiecnce will
fill in the gaps that may include the week spots of the original move.

One day you'll find 5 bt real easy to learn and know
lots more too!

If you keep trying, then try long stretchy sock poi and try
to spin consistently slowly. That should help you get the
timing right.

~peace is a fire~

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
hey, geeza/mico... thx for the encouragement... I completely agree... I know it'll come one day, I'm just not going to waste a whole lot of time struggling with it... come back to it every now and then I think...

I can sorta get the 5bt, one side @ a time, but they're always tangling if I try to put it altogether... and stretchy sock poi is what I use 95% of the time... only play with the real ones occasionally cos they hurt a lot more when they (inevitably) hit me.

I was picking stuff up really pretty quickly I think, but 5bt and reverse TTN slowed me down; actually they stopped me cold... can TTN forwards (I think it's called forwards) but not reverse... I keep telling myself when to thread, but the hands don't listen rolleyes

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
im working on setting up a community circus "little devils circus" for kids almost there got a meeting next week at the bank to get the account open, i ahev all the equiptment bought for me by a nice youth club and then im ready to go, got a few bookings all ready.

poi - tidy up utl hyperloops, ifnit. hyperloops, flowers

devil sticks - this buzz saw thing

diabolo - cage grind

contact - everything lol

hat - everything lol

juggling - most things lol

apart from that not much at all

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
poi: two different moves involving antispin (one've which i've posted and shown people [via video]) and the other i started working on yesterday...needless to say i've got waaay too much time on my hands

CJ: cleaning up armrolls, stalls, isolations, and overall performance

ubbrollsmile

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
YAAAAYYYY!!!

I read through a whole bunch of the old poi threads @ work yesterday and I found a tip that gave me the reverse TTN... biggrin so I can now TTN both ways...

the wraps are going nowhere fast, but I've only just started, so no need for discouragement just yet...

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:

YAAAAYYYY!!!

I read through a whole bunch of the old poi threads @ work yesterday and I found a tip that gave me the reverse TTN... biggrin so I can now TTN both ways...

the wraps are going nowhere fast, but I've only just started, so no need for discouragement just yet...

i'll discourage you. but only because I cant work out reverse TTN yet. however i can do some wraps and btb butterfly, working on btb weave and flowers

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
im working on doing kip ups while doing poi (see 'mixing poi with acrobatics and dance' thread)

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
oh... well... I got someone else doing reverse TTN last night in about 2 minutes, geeza... so, here's what helped erin and I...

with forwards TTN, you thread the top hand forwards... when trying reverse, I was thinking too much about where the poi were arcing to start with... instead I started thinking about threading the "bottom" hand forwards instead and it just started working... I had it in a couple minutes and last night, so did erin... good luck

nice work on the btb and wraps... I've really only just started playing with wraps and haven't succeeded in anything other than hitting myself, but try, try, try... and haven't tried ANYTHING btb yet... even bringing the poi overhead once screws me up right, don't like it when I can't see the poi

Crisisnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
This week I am mostly learning backwards 5bt weave and btb 3bt weave... with little success and many injuries...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

In of move:

-Anti(Spin) - Shaping, Hybrid move, Polar weave, Pull & Push

Out of move:

- Feuershow.de - Tutorial check out
- Baton - September classes
- Ubeurope 11-13 (Vienna)
- Tuesday - Workshop for Smeries

Insideout:

- Valurus - Electronic encyclopoidia

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
thanks pogo, i'll try threading the bottom hand forwards tonight. worked out how to do weave double bicep wrap last night, i just didnt need and wrap one to get butterfly. stupid me!

BűzraelBRONZE Member
45 posts

Posted:
working on btb butterfly weave atm, and its turning out horribly. for the first time in ages i find myself hitting my nuts, a feeling I really didn't miss.

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:

I've given up on 5bt weave for now... cos try as I might (and I understand what I'm "supposed" to do), I can't do it...

just when you give it away, it comes back all by itself... worked on 5bt tonight @ juggle jam... and... I can sorta get it now in a very, very ugly fashion... more practise, but now I know it'll come...

will attempt reverse 5bt now, I think and start practising flowers again (never really did practise them in the 1st place)... the wraps are still going nowhere fast

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
Straightjackets continue to foil me. The planes simply refuse to get straight with these jackets. Ending up with the poi heading straight for my jacket.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
ok... forwards 5bt still happening, but ugly... reverse 5bt not happening @ all, but I think I sorta understand it... kinda...

got a wrist wrap thingie going that can take butterfly to weave and back... needs more work, but is nice to finally have something that can move between the 2, relatively smoothly...

also working on an isolated 3bt weave... well... really just a 3bt with isolations in the middle

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
ummm.. just playing with some really stoopid stuff!

attempting to isolate btb waist wrap, with limited sucess.

a silly one = 2:1 and 3:2 polyrythm isolations (really look strange if the timings on!) damn you cole! wink

playing with negative space stalls and wraps hoping to find something tasty.

Hybrids are fun at the moment.

btb inverted antispin 7 beat iso weave hybrid to late double backflip headstand....... i call it spaghetti junction! ubblol (please note: must be drunk, naked, on a trampoline to attempt.)

god im bored......

Bûzrael = btb butterfly weave sounds fun, im off to have a go!

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
well, iv never had the money to get any vidios n stuff, so the only tym i get to learn things is if there just happens to be a pro in town (eg.we have a festival every sept.) so, iv learnt several thing on my own, and have no idea what there called. so if anyone wantsta tell me what a "shoulder reel", or a “hyperloop” is, it would be much apreciated. iv also been told that "antispin" is wen ur hand goes the oposit direction to the poi. what exactly dose that mean? any vidios?

The nite is nearly over, day is almost here. Romans 13:12

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
Hyperloop

Antispin flower

picture (or even better, video) paints a 1000 words

Page: ......