dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
So I've made up my mind that it is time I set about to accomplish another goal which is constructing a fire hula hoop. I've done some searches here but can't find too much info. If anyone has any ideas/experience, please let me know. I've been practicing with a non fire hoop for a while now though I'm not sure how many of the tricks I'll be able to do with fire... I'm ready to find out... Any hints qould be greatly appreciated!! Thanks a ton!! dulce
- oh, wait that's a halo...close enough!

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
I know a girl in 'Circus Oz' used to use one, try looking that up!
Axis.

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
yes yes yes!!

A bit of googling for 'fire hula hoop' and 'flaming hula hoop' has a few fairly naff pics.

The design featured is a hoop (duh), with fiery wicks poking out of it.

I wonder about a design with two hoops, an inner one to hold and spin, and an outer flamy one.

That would be more impressive than pointy wicks.

Magnus... pay it forward

gooblemember
71 posts

Posted:
Seen this? bear claw - hula hoop

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info.. I think I'll just go from all the photos I've seen and create my own model.. I'll keep you in touch with how it comes out! Any further ideas or experience is welcomed:)

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Fire hula hoops are proliferating in our area.
Most of them are made with long bolts inserted through the hoop and secured with small washers and bolts. The wicking is secured at the tips with nuts and washers, too. These have to be checked and tightened before every use. 6, 7, or 8 spokes are common. The seven spoked version has them spaced out like the 8 model, but with one missing so you can stand it up on the rim of the hoop, instead of up on the tips of the wicks.
I've seen two made with a continuous wicking ring outside of an inner spinning ring, and the visual effect was better with the spoked version. And one was so hot that the dancer--Kristeen, one of the machoist and most competitive firedancers I know--had to bale out of it, losing all her pretty little hippy girl armpit hair and burning her belly while she was at it.
Good luck.

Maximus

circus _chickSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
i might be able to help you as i made a fire hoop for my friend for xmas. I have changed the design a bit in my mind since then but i think it should still work:

measure out a normal hula hoop out of sturdy plastic pvc pipe but DONT join it (the stuff with the blue stripes)( there r heaps of tutorials on the net how 2 do this)
divide the hoop so it is in 3 even parts and get somthin smalle -pipe, tubeing or aluminium that is sturdy and about 5-10 cm long and use pop rivets to attatch one to one side of each hoop part so half sticks out, thenfit d hoop 2gether and drill holes on other sides of hoop parts, into tubing aswell. screw screws into these holes- u should b able to undo these screws 4 easy dismantleation. 4 d spokes use those things that u buy from hardware stores- theyre like bolts but dont hav a head and hav som threading on one side and a kid of loop on the other. wrap and knot kevlar rope around and in the loop ends. drill level holes into ur hoop at even intervals and screw the threaded side of the wik thing into it until the wik ting just starts to poke out of the inside of the hoop- this should stay put. USE

circus _chickSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
i hope this worx^ srry its kinda hard 2 explain but u should get it if u think it over a bit.. i diddnt mak it dismantable 4 my friend but hers is so big and akward i think that dismantable ones r betta, so, good luck

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
hay, that seems like a helpful explanation but complicated, anyone know where i can buy a good quality one? preferably uk based! cheers!

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Mushy Pea Steve had a pretty nice looking one at BJC, seek him out at Bristol..

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
i wont be heading down to bristol any time soon, is he about here somwhere so i can ask him, or perhaps is there anyone else?

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

KelzieMember
11 posts

Posted:
Does HOP sell fire hula hoops? Or we do know of anyone in NZ who sells them?

Kelzie biggrin

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
https://fire.trickconcepts.com/hoop.htm

That ought to help. biggrin

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I don't see how that helps? it is not in NZ?

Any who, i'm 99.99999% sure that hop does'nt sell fire hoop and as far as i know there is nobody in the AU or NZ area that does unfortunatly.

But all is not lost. I made my hoop fairly simply using bits and peices of instruactions from these web sites and threads.

https://hooping.tribe.net

https://firehooping.tribe.net

[Old link]

Also a quick Hop Search should turn up some good results.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. smile

Jane

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Hurm i only have pics of it on fire which won't really help.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

ThreeworldsFun for Life!
24 posts

Posted:
We now have these for sale.
Collapsible, great weight, great design.
Check them out here
https://www.threeworlds.com.au/store/products/Collapsible-Fire-Hula-Hoop.html

Threeworlds
Fun For Life

Email-fire@threeworlds.com.au

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
www.cosmicfiredance.com sells the best fire hoops. I wish HOP would sell them frown

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.