Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > pick up poi with out bending down

Login/Join to Participate

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
jugglers can flick clubs and balls up with their feet. i've been try for a while now to figure out away of doing this with my poi to no avail. is any one else trying it may be with more success than me

I love thinking in circles

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Don't wear shoes or socks? Just a thought that if you use your toes to grip the cord or chain (or handles even) you might be able to. That's how I pick mine up if I feel too lazy to bend down.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
Do as if it were a ball and put the head of the poi on your foot and flick it up, though you have to be very quick with fire in order not to burn your shoe.

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
Leospoi i tried that but my counter weight sends it off irregular directions. if you put both the counterweight and the weight on the foot it works but it just doesn't look very graceful

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Can you grip the counterweight with your toes and swing it into a throw? Because that would certainly be awesome.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
i've done that a couple of times but it's really hard to get it right

bubblebongBRONZE Member
Reincarnated Woodelf
17 posts

Posted:
I tried griping the handle, swinging it and passing it to my hand just now. Its easy to be done in one, fluid move. Probably you could even throw it and catch it but Im sort of beggining with poi and throws are out of my reach for now.
In any case, it isnt the hardest thing to do. What about griping it with both your feet and jump catching it? Like you do with soccer balls...

Aliens abducted me! They made me wear a funny hat.

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
thing is that i do a lot of throws and in a performance i'm going to drop it so i want a way that lots graceful smooth and works 10 out of 10 times.

i've been trying what leospoi suggested a bit today i think that it might be the answer with some work

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
I sometimes drop on purpose when doing throws and then gracefully execute one of 4 pickups I came up with some of which involve cartwheels and utl stuff. I only pick up with my foot if there isn't enough room or I'm feeling too lazy to do the more exhaustive movements.

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
thanks leospoi i have it down now with the weight on the foot, before when i tried to do it the counterweight was hitting my foot.... i discovered that if you have the counterweight past 90 degrees from your foot then it spins round and up into your hand .... cool less bending down the whole time now smile

tracerammoGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
My homie Raff played a lot of hack back in the day, so he's got a great tactic for picking the poi up. It's just like the hacky move to get the sac off the ground.

Put your foot on top of the head (face the poi so the chain is laying in the wall plane in front of you) and roll your foot back hard enough that the poi roll onto the top of your foot. Then kick your foot up and slightly toward the chain. The chain'll kinda' wrap around your foot, so when you stop moving your foot the chain'll pop up. It's kinda' screwy at first... I still can't do it well at all, but I know it can be done.

The wispering of the wise never entertains the fools...

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
poi kickups truly rock. check out this video here at 1:31, i do a couple of little foot things there smile

hope this helps..

petey hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
thanks for all your help guys a managed to get it down thanks to you and i've made a tutorial on how i do it

and petey the stuff you do on that video with your feet is next level crazyness
EDITED_BY: joffjk (1273244872)