ladyleoSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
I have seen pictures of what is labeled a "triquetra." I may already know how to do this but am unfamiliar how it looks photographically.

What exactly is done to make this pattern?

Thank you!

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Great tutorial by Nick Woolsey:

ladyleoSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
perfect, thank you.

e6SILVER Member
we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
45 posts

Posted:
nick woolsey's video is pretty much all you need to learn this move. i would only add one thing: it's not a thread-the-needle.

a lot of people (including me), when trying to learn this move, get confused with trying to do a thread-the-needle in the middle of this move, but it's not a thread-the-needle. it's a 2:1 polyrhythm butterfly. that means the hand that does the anti-spin does 2 full circles for each 1 that the extension hand does. try this: do the butterfly, then try spinning one hand twice as fast as the other while still doing the butterfly. so say, the left hand would go "one-two" in the same amount of time the right hand would go "one." that's the motion your hands will be doing as they move in a circle around the triquetra.

for even more information than you require, watch charlie's theory on poi length, coriolis effect, and polyrhythm hybrids:

and

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
The point is that parts of it feel like a TTN. It is also a good way to trick yourself into learning it.

Incidentally, changing its direction can be done as a TTN.

Also, you can do it with any number of petals. A three petal antispin seems to be the most common, but many people do four petals instead.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I certainly found that conceptualizing them as TTNs made figuring out the direction changes a lot more natural. And if you do learn quadquetras (it's such an ugly neologism I had to use it), the ttn-esque cord dodging becomes a lot more prominent.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: e6nick woolsey's video is pretty much all you need to learn this move. i would only add one thing: it's not a thread-the-needle.

a lot of people (including me), when trying to learn this move, get confused with trying to do a thread-the-needle in the middle of this move, but it's not a thread-the-needle. it's a 2:1 polyrhythm butterfly. that means the hand that does the anti-spin does 2 full circles for each 1 that the extension hand does. try this: do the butterfly, then try spinning one hand twice as fast as the other while still doing the butterfly. so say, the left hand would go "one-two" in the same amount of time the right hand would go "one." that's the motion your hands will be doing as they move in a circle around the triquetra.

for even more information than you require, watch charlie's theory on poi length, coriolis effect, and polyrhythm hybrids:

and

But you do TTN. Because each hand alternates which one is on the inside and outside; which Nick fails to mention. And that is one of the most important things to do to make this move happen. The hand spinning the extension is inside when your arms are up, and outside when arms are down.

EDITED_BY: Derek_Faughn (1262967214)

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

ladyleoSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonThe point is that parts of it feel like a TTN. It is also a good way to trick yourself into learning it.

Incidentally, changing its direction can be done as a TTN.

Also, you can do it with any number of petals. A three petal antispin seems to be the most common, but many people do four petals instead.

Ok, so changing direction is done as a TTN.

Yes, and a three-petal is more difficult BECAUSE there is less movement. I almost have it.

ladyleoSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: e6nick woolsey's video is pretty much all you need to learn this move. i would only add one thing: it's not a thread-the-needle.

and

love the nine-square video. thank you very much!

e6SILVER Member
45 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Derek_FaughnThe hand spinning the extension is inside when your arms are up, and outside when arms are down.

nope. the *poi* doing the extension is inside when your arms are up, and outside when arms are down. if you do a plain ol' butterfly, you'll see that this is the case as well. the only difference is that your hands are moving in a circle and the *poi* are spinning in polyrhythm. remember, TTN is switching which *hand* is on top, not which poi.

you can do a triquetra w/ your hands touching together and locked in position as they move around a circle, thus making it impossible for them to TTN.

it may make it easier to learn the triquetra if you think of it as a TTN at first (i did), but to get it really smooth, you'll need to do it w/ your hands together and not moving (relative to each other).

although, i think it is true that to switch directions, you have to TTN.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Since it's in here, I learned to do the "quadquetra" grin and what I think would be a "sexquetra" (6 petals) correct me if I'm wrong, if I'm right, than wow that is some funky sounding terminology. How come every single number sounds funky except for tri? laugh3

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitSince it's in here, I learned to do the "quadquetra" grin and what I think would be a "sexquetra" (6 petals) correct me if I'm wrong, if I'm right, than wow that is some funky sounding terminology. How come every single number sounds funky except for tri? laugh3
As far as I understand it, it's just the 3 petal flower that is called a "triquetra". The common combination of a triqutra and an extension is what I've often seen reffered to as "The Mercedes" (à grace de the company logo). So I don't really think that you could apply that kind of a naming system to what you're talking about. The best I can think of is "4-petal Mercedes", but then it isn't the Mercedes logo anymore, is it tongue2 ? So since that doesn't work either, I guess we'll have to settle for the boring "wallplane 4-petal antispin flower/extension hybrid" until someone comes up with a better specified name for it. Same with the 6-petal one. I could be totally wrong though. If so, please someone correct me.

As for the TTN discussion, there is another video where nick explains in greater detail the Mercedes (

). Given that he is explaining it correctly, then neither hand or poi is on top of the other at the bottom of the circle, because they are split-time. At the top they are same-time, and the extension is inside, or "on top" f you think of it in terms of TTN. And this would ofcourse depend whether you're doing the triquetra pointing up or down. If you do it pointing down, then it's same time on the bottom and split-time at the top.
EDITED_BY: ReVo (1262994793)
EDIT_REASON: added "wallplane" in "wallplane 4-petal antispin flower/extension hybrid"

e6SILVER Member
45 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ReVoI guess we'll have to settle for the boring "wallplane 4-petal antispin flower/extension hybrid" until someone comes up with a better specified name for it.

oh, but it's not boring! it's so much fun! cuz when you go from doing a triquetra to a "wallplane 3-petal antispin vs. extension hybrid w/ the hands in same-time/same-direction," you stop learning "moves," and start exploring frameworks! the triquetra is a single, whole item. you learn that move, and then go learn another move. but w/ the really long name for the same move which is defined by framework, you can take any word in that long name and change it to something else within the framework and get a different move. you could change wallplane to wheelplane. same-time to split-time. extension to cateye. hybrid to antibrid.

and then you start giggling maniacally. or you hit yourself in the family jewels and call it a day.

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Agreed, the long names are functional and versatile. They just make my head hurt a bit, that's all grin ... Which is fine, I'm a masochist anyway.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Which is why it amuses me when people ask what I call some of these things....

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
"what do you call the thing you're trying there?"

"A split-time butterfly antispin wallplane flower."

"Sorry I asked..."

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol, maybe we should make a contest for the move with the longest name.

ladyleoSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
Thank you all for your help on these beautiful triquetra-wallplane-splittime-antispin-butterfly-creations.

I have the move down. According to photos, I just need to work on my preciseness and ability to control what direction the tri is pointing. This calls for some meditative poi.

Then, I will learn how to change directions.

Thanks again!

ladyleoSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
I posted pictures on my member album.

InsigniaPitch Calcifer
5 posts

Posted:
I've been playing around with atomic triquetras. It expands more into 3D stuff.

I am the storm. I am the wonder.

2,280 posts

Posted:
What are atomic triquetras?!?!?!?!?!?! shocked

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Niice.

Must really give atomics another go some time.

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
Insignia: wait.... what plains are you moving each poi on to make it atomic?

(this question is asked after repeatedly getting hit in the head with poi while trying to figure it out)
EDITED_BY: Rives (1263247508)
EDIT_REASON: clarifcation

InsigniaPitch Calcifer
5 posts

Posted:
Pending on which is doing the antispin...

My left poi is doing the antispin in wheel plane while my right poi is doing an extension. My hands try to stay as close to same time as they can. You can also do it in split time.

I am the storm. I am the wonder.