Forums > Social Chat > a day in NY (things to do?)

Login/Join to Participate

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
A good friend of mine is stopping off in New York after travelling through Europe for a month. He is only going to be there for one day, and he has no idea what he can do to occupy himself.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (btw, he is not a firespinner, but he is a muso)

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

yashyamember
25 posts

Posted:
go to the Met museum up fifth ave... or just bum around times sq, that in it's self is enough to blow your mins so wide it'd take a week to scrape up, err try a journey out to queens to see the tempry MoMA, they had a piccaso exhibit on a few weeks ago when i was there, although i think that's changed, there's a good bar down near ground zero called Nathan Hales bar grill the owner an irish dude called richie is ace, and there's a really nice guy in a bar a block over called the roadster, the dude is called dave, he's english but he'd just got back from australia... err that's my suggestions...

... learn to swim ...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Bah... it TOTALLY depends on what he's into.

I got 30 years worth of stuff to do and counting.

Um... There's the "I'm a tourist and want to see touristy things" which might be nice since he's only there for a day...

I mean you could kill a lifetime in just one neighborhood...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
or you could get killed in just one neighborhood

The Empire State at sunset is very cool. Then get really drunk and head to Hogs & Heffers - a true all American experience
I'm a wanderer, I just wander and wander around places until I get blisters. Forget Downtown and midtown, they're soulless, the villages are where it's at. Central park is very cool to wander around - 'cos then you can watch New York movies and know what it's like to really walk around Central Park in the dark. Don't try that at home kids! And especially don't try it in Central Park!

Lots and lots to do in New York. I suggest he stop over there for longer than a day.

Gandhi Ganjamastermember
299 posts

Posted:
´walk across Brooklyn Bridge, hang around the Village,
the museums!!
the cloisters are cool, buth then euros have the original stuff in the original places

Why?

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
ok so what about gigs? I'm wondering too, cos I'm off travelling next year... dunno who with tho.

Gandhi Ganjamastermember
299 posts

Posted:
you can find the best stuff by just randomly wandering into jazzy holes-in-de-walls and such

Why?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Free weekly newspaper:
"The Village Voice" has listings of events and stuff.

I wouldn't just walk randomly or you'll end up somewhere boring... You can get a bus map free from any subway station and it lists the streets and such. You can buy an unlimited "metro card" in any subway station for $4.50 and it's good for any bus or train all day. (Or longer periods for more $$$)

The Brooklyn Bridge is excellent. Had an absolutely lovely first date there.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
thanks guys, that was really helpful!! My mate is now considering lengthening his stay!!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...