AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
oh malcolm... i'm so giggling. the image of you yelling at someone and then running away quickly is hysterical... not in a bad way of course. it's that good humour sort of thing... :-)i'd probably do the same if encountering someone who could whip my ass.... .........still giggling....-flavio

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
While I am really sorry that something so horrible has happened to you, I can thankfully say no one has ever tried to pilfer my stuff...prolly cause around here they have no clue what the hell it is!!!However...I also agree with Flavio in that the sheer image is really amusing! I can also picture you chasing them with a flaming something as well....*hee-hee*Is this whole theft thing really that big of a problem?Sheesh that sucks..------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
We were doing a fire performance after another fire group at a festival a few months ago. After their performance, they ran off and left their stuff lying around and a lot of it got taken (poorly designed "backstage" area). Unfortunately the theives ended up throwing flaming equipment onto the stage as we were performing. That was a little offputting.We've never had anything stolen ourselves however ... although there seem to be plenty of people will to rip your stuff off.Ðraevon

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ouch! I would hate that. Thankfully that's never happened to me. I make all my tools by hand and have been using many of them for a long time. To lose them would suck bad. When I think about why my gear hasn't been stolen, it may be due to a few things. Then again, maybe I've just been lucky so far. wink For shows, I've taken to packing all my gear in an old beatup suitcase. It has a lock, though I don't have a key to it. (Most properly, I suppose it should be lockable.) I always leave it closed, with all the gear I'm not presently using, and tucked away when I'm not around it. Maybe thieves are less inclined to open a suitcase than to dig into a bag. It seems a bit more invasive to me. And to take the whole case would mean lugging around a big heavy easily identifiable object. For practicing unlit in the public places, I either stay next to my gear personally or park them with friends to watch over them. Because my tools are very personal to me, I used to never lend them at all. Now, I only lend them out when I can pay close attention to those I've lent them to. I really like to be able to lend in trust. When it comes to lending money, cds, books, whatever, I try not to lend out anything with any attachment to getting it back. If I really don't want to lose it I don't lend it. Maybe this can apply to fire tools as well. Maybe in the future, I'll have lending tools and personal tools, though I think my lending tools will only be non-fire. Anyway, enough naval gazing. grin Hope this helps. Diana

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think it depends a lot on the crowd, as to whether or not to leave / loan stuff around.I've been to parties where everyone just dumps their stuff in a big pile, and then sorts it out at the end of the night...pretty trusting...at the other extreme I've seen a girl walk up and pick up one of our staffs from about 3 metres away from where we were sitting, twirl with it (and she wasnt too bad either) and then try to take it back to her car! When my girlfriend confronted her (in front of about 10 of the thief's friends too) The girl just said - "Oh...I thought it was just there" and handed it over. That shocks me...that someone who obviously could twirl, would steal someone's personally decorated staff...Yeah right - the promoters of the party hired a bunch of hippies to paint and prepare staffs so ppl could take em home as momentos..And not one of the thief's friends seemed to have a problem with her walking off with it either...At the same party I had the handles of my poi wreaked by a WANKER who thought that twirling with 6 poi is soo cool...I mean he couldnt twirl well with 2! Of course they got tangled and turned into a firey heap, and my handles got melted. Thanks mate.Since then we keep our stuff in sight at all times...if we dont want to use it, we put it away...a bit of a drag, but wick is EXPENSIVE... I didnt realise I had so much bad feeling left in me about that...Dont even get me started on low life scum stealing our artwork from parties smile I'll save that for the Psy-Trance mailing lists..All I can say is, unless it's a very private party, dont leave your valued stuff around. You will miss it when some idiot (or worse) takes advantage of your trust.Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 11 January 2001).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Just adding my voice to the chorus: yes i think we all feel pretty much the same about our precious(and damn expensive) equipment. it's ok if folk show a genuine interest in learning and you have the time and space to give them a helping hand (advice, tips, where to buy their own stuff). But if they just want to chuck your gear around for 5mins on a whim and leave it in the dirt when they realise it can't be mastered in half an hour....then i'm sure none of us will tolerate that!! I used to carry all my jugging gear around in a rucksack with me so i could practice anywhere...so i ended up handing them around to my friends on occasion and i swear that in those couple of hours they went through 10 years worth of wear and tear!! Never again.P.S. I'm also into playing card manipulation... the though of people actually using my cards to play games with makes me sick.!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
hey anonymous, how about letting someone else post for a change

*tiptoes quietly away*

Meh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
lol funniest bump *ever* biggrin

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
i have only ever had one thing stolen, it wasnt totally mine but was at reading, we were getting ready to go to a fire spin place but first we just decided to do some glo's and when we decided to go n do the fire someone had taken both our bottles of paraffin!! grrr

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Could it have been the security guards?

wink

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
no because tobi (known on here as mint sauce) said he saw some gimps looking suspicuous around them but he was mid spinning and when he was done they were gone n so was the paraffin, grr

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You need to be cafefull of suspiscious looking gimps.

>

rarrBRONZE Member
rrragghh!
121 posts

Posted:
dont all gimps look suspicious?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh dear. Looks like we've got the old C@ntus back.

Which is nice because we just lost last years' C@ntus of the year: Pounce.

smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
suspicious gimps?

Oh you've got the old cantus back. Lucky i bought this brand spanking new one then isn't it....

wink

Meh