Forums > Help! > How do I make a heart?

Login/Join to Participate

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I always see these pictures of poi where people make a heart. How do you do this? I've been thinking for like an hour and I can't find it on youtube.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Basically, just moving your hands pretty much in a little heart shape and photographing it, probably several dozen times, until you finally get the timing just right and one of the pics looks like a heart.

The reason there's no Youtube vid is because it's probably very tedious and difficult, and wouldn't look like anything much if you were actually spinning.
I reckon you're just going to have to play and see what works smile

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I do something like a reverse butterfly, isolate as it's going over the top and then a kinda diagonal stall as it comes down.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
It sounds like a lot of weird plane bending that's not really worth the trouble. I know some people will hold the poi and write things and shapes and such. Its more a photo gimmick than anything in my opinion.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JayKittyIt sounds like a lot of weird plane bending that's not really worth the trouble. I know some people will hold the poi and write things and shapes and such. Its more a photo gimmick than anything in my opinion.

ohhh i beg to differ smile

My friend Brian Neller ends his poi routine with a heart and both times I have seen him do it on stage the reaction has been great. It takes a few repetitions of the shape but after 4 or 5 people are going "awwwwwww" and then he finishes while everyone is all warm and fuzzy.

He does it by taking a double stall in front of his chest/ in between his nipples, then extends out in a normal reverse butterfly and stalls again at about his knees. Its just a simple big arm motion. from what I can see the key is repetition if you are doing it for a live audience, and a good camera person if you are doing it for a photo. ^_^

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DaGOriginally Posted By: JayKittyIt sounds like a lot of weird plane bending that's not really worth the trouble. I know some people will hold the poi and write things and shapes and such. Its more a photo gimmick than anything in my opinion.

ohhh i beg to differ smile

My friend Brian Neller ends his poi routine with a heart and both times I have seen him do it on stage the reaction has been great. It takes a few repetitions of the shape but after 4 or 5 people are going "awwwwwww" and then he finishes while everyone is all warm and fuzzy.

He does it by taking a double stall in front of his chest/ in between his nipples, then extends out in a normal reverse butterfly and stalls again at about his knees. Its just a simple big arm motion. from what I can see the key is repetition if you are doing it for a live audience, and a good camera person if you are doing it for a photo. ^_^

+1 to everything DaG said (and having seen Brian do it as well, i have to agree)

I never really used to think a general audience would really notice or appreciate it that much, but I've been suprised how many people will pick up on it. I used it once at the end of a going away video for a friend, and wasnt expecting to get that 'awwwwwww' reaction from all people watching.

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
For pictures... Use something that glows and set the camera to a longer shutter speed and then do a heart shape while holding them. Make sure the camera is on a tripod or else it probably won't turn out as well.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
It wouldn't be the first time I've been way off base on some things, lol. ^_^ Gunna go out and do it now, lol, thanks dag.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
It's really simple but a little scary!

MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GLOVES IF USING FIRE.
Do an in spin buttefly spiral wrap.
-spin in butterfly
-stick your hands in the way of the chain and let the poi wrap around your hands.
- if your chains are the right length then you should bea able to catch the poi on the tops of your hands and pause (start photo here)
- unwrap and the slowly lengthening poi will start from the middle (on your hands) and swing up and around crossing at the bottom. (end phot here)

if your shutter speed is set right you'll get a really nice heart shape. you might need to have a few goes but good luck!

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Wow, that's a new way I haven't heard of. I was thinking more of something for a performance, but as I got better I've learned I don't need tricks like these as I like to just flow grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
what i have done is go from reverse butterfly, then stop the poi at 3 and 9 and let it float (my hands go down about 6 inches) then i let it continue down. it's kind of an odd looking heart because it has some weird curves, but its good.