T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I know how to do Isolations, I can get them in Buzzsaw, but when it comes to wheel and wall plane I just cant seem to get it going. I can do a slight isolation on each end of a weave, but nothing consistant.

Any tips anyone on how I can improve my technique?

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
How are your vertical stalls with one up, one down in the middle?

Try those out, and then try to move into a beat of wall plane isolation from there. (This is while facing a wallplane)

By adding in the stall type motion right at the start (poi do not change direction, they continue in the same direction they entered on) it makes sure that the timing is perfect from the beginning.

Try to get one beat consistant, Then two and so on til you feel comfy with it. Perhaps you could give cateyes a bit of a try as well? See how you feel in those, it might help things click... a cateye is 1:1(Poi rotation: hand rotation) ratio antispin motion, Isolation is 1:1 prospin motion. smile

Good luck.

hug

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
I took this guy's advice about isolations and stalls T-S-A, and damn I can do a lot of isolation variations already. All my friends are jealous about it! And yah, it took me about a month like he said to perfect all that! bounce2

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Nice one, cheers MNS. My vert stalls are alright, nothing to shout about, but good enough.

Will have a bash at both methods grin

-Runs off to learn cats eyes-

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Bam_BamBRONZE Member
Raver X
15 posts

Posted:
After 2 days of tring to pull this off i find out i still fail.:(
Any advice for tring to spin isolation with out having to do stalls since my stalls arent that great?

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Keep at it dude, isolations are quite hard to get down and take much longer than 2 days (for me anyway). Some real good spinners I know have said "they are one of them things, that no matter how good you are you will still need to practice constantly to keep them consistant", which so far I have found true.

I first learned an isolated buzzsaw which seems to be easier. Stand next to a mirror too, that will really help you get the timing down. From that I learned isolated buzzsaw fountains which helpped me move around with isolations. I am still having trouble when in wall or wheel plane, but it's just a matter of going over it until it's right.

Maybe spend 20-30 mins of your spin session just going over isolations and stalls, it takes time, but you will get them eventually. I even practice with my keys on a key chain at work which helps too grin
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1256006100)

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: T-S-AKeep at it dude, isolations are quite hard to get down and take much longer than 2 days (for me anyway). Some real good spinners I know have said "they are one of them things, that no matter how good you are you will still need to practice constantly to keep them consistant", which so far I have found true.

I first learned an isolated buzzsaw which seems to be easier. Stand next to a mirror too, that will really help you get the timing down. From that I learned isolated buzzsaw fountains which helpped me move around with isolations. I am still having trouble when in wall or wheel plane, but it's just a matter of going over it until it's right.

Maybe spend 20-30 mins of your spin session just going over isolations and stalls, it takes time, but you will get them eventually. I even practice with my keys on a key chain at work which helps too grin

Honestly I completely agree with you. One can't rush isolations. Just keep trying and eventually they get smoother and smoother. After they get decent you'll eventually fall down the rabbit hole and never come back. As of late I can not help but isolate/hybridize/cateye everything I do! =)

The biggest help to me awhile back was:
Either tie a knot in the middle of your poi or visualize a knot there. Then start spinning and slowly start to move the center poi(usually your hand) to that knot by having your hand chase the poi head around in a circle.

Just use one hand(your bad hand first!) and start an isolation then practice on moving it around. Once that looks good then use just the other hand, practice practice practice. Then throw it all together to work on timing.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Or put a piece of tape on it if you do not want to change you weighting too much. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonOr put a piece of tape on it if you do not want to change you weighting too much. smile

That works to. Something else I have tried a few times is to mask out a unit circle on a mirror. Then work on getting my poi and hand to follow the circle. Also helps with cateyes!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I like that one. I need a mirror though....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland