Forums > Social Discussion > Free China - and the rest will follow

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ye ye - the Chinese regime has never been my favorite...

Ethnic riots spread in China's West - 140 killed

Originally Posted By: APURUMQI, China – Riots and street battles killed at least 140 people in China's western Xinjiang province and injured 828 others in the deadliest ethnic unrest to hit the region in decades. Officials said Monday the death toll was expected to rise.

Police sealed off streets in parts of the provincial capital, Urumqi, after discord between ethnic Muslim Uighur people and China's Han majority erupted into violence. Witnesses reported a new, smaller protest Monday in a second city, Kashgar.

The unrest is another troubling sign for Beijing at how rapid economic development has failed to stem — and even has exacerbated — resentment among ethnic minorities, who say they are being marginalized in their homelands as Chinese migrants pour in.

If I recall correctly then it has been China been troubled by some 80.000 riots/ violent protests in either 2007 or 2008...

If China was to come to democracy, a lot of issues would get resolved instantly... the Tibetian struggle for independence to name one...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

gilimnewbie
37 posts

Posted:
Any suggestions for how china would 'come to democracy'?

Or is it worth pointing out that with immigration into Tibet for 50 years that its very possible that it would not necessarily be democratically Tibetan...

Also, democracy has failed to solve inter-ethnic strife in the past. Not all societies adapt well to a two party representative governing style...

*shruggs* my immediate thoughts....
-sam

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTom
If I recall correctly then it has been China been troubled by some 80.000 riots/ violent protests in either 2007 or 2008...

If China was to come to democracy, a lot of issues would get resolved instantly... the Tibetian struggle for independence to name one...

hang on? but this is completely different. this is about Han and Uighur hacking each other apart in the street! much more of a racial/religious emotional issue that a reflection of the chinese government system.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DentrassiOriginally Posted By: FireTom

hang on? but this is completely different. this is about Han and Uighur hacking each other apart in the street! much more of a racial/religious emotional issue that a reflection of the chinese government system.

exactly, its inter religion violence, nothing to do with the government of the country.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
is it not inter-ethnical violence?

Whatever, the conflict is based upon the fact that the Chinese regime occipied a region and marginalizes its population by allowing (or even promoting) Chinese immigrants to settle there. This would not be such of a problem if the ethnic population would not feel marginalized.

It is the same policy like in Tibet (just without the Tibetans hacking the Chinese for that reason).

Nowadays (after 50 years of migration into Tibet) a "democracy" would rather be a farce regarding the fact that the ethnic population is greatly outnumbered.

I feel there is little that can be done to help China become a democracy - it is something left to the Chinese themselves. It will be rather interesting to observe what the future is holding for one of the last megalomaniac regimes on this planet.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
differing ethnicity will often come with differing religious views. i guess you could call it one as much as the other in terms of where the line is drawn.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
not sure whether ethnics and religions differ in the same rate...

for example Pakistani and Indians share the same ethnic background... they clash(ed) due to religious differences. At the same time Muslims and Hindu (in the majority) live peacefully together in India. Burmese and Thai are both Buddhists - and clashed. Serbians and Croatians clashed because of ethnic problems... Iranians and Iraqi... (mmmh got to check about Shiites and Sunnites) but both are ethnic Arabs... same applied to Muslims and Jews...

So I'm not sure you're leading on the right track, Mr.M. wink

Fact is that China (as Russia) is a federation (ruled by a totalitarian regime), (poorly) governing people who would not necessarily live in the same country otherwise.