Forums > Social Discussion > Honduras - threat to or rescue of democracy?

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Honduras military outsted their president and drove him into exile.

The world responds upset (and right they are - on first sight)...

But I had and still have the feeling that the world needs to take a closer look at what is going on.

Zelaya is elected president of Honduras - yes. But the coup had been ordered by parliament; with 124 : 4 votes it has been decided to get rid of him.

Zelaya tried to stay in power, to prolong his presidency against the constitution.

This is why he was exiled and the world should start to acknowledge that, to look a little closer at the political realities in Honduras. It is NOT a general, who now is in charge but most of the current government is still that democratic body. His exile has been ordered and backed by the Hondurian supreme court. He is facing criminal charges, once he sets foot on Hondurian soil.

Yet the interim government does not want to see him back in the country as to avoid a civil war. And this rightly so.

[one reference: BBC )

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1246877569)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I don't think calling it a Coup when it is ordered by a body with the authority to do so is accurate.

But... here's the question. He wanted to use a legal method to change the Constitution, knowing that if he lost, he would also lose his Presidency.

However, it doesn't seem that his term is yet over, so I don't see how he was acting out of line. I don't see that he'd done anything illegal...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Fair point... yet:

let's say a US president would call for a referendum of the American people to change the constitution to allow him become president for life... even though such people's referendum is not within the constitution...

If a president is trying to bypass the constitution by means that are not within his constitutional rights - if then the high court is ordering his arrest, exile and if then an interim government is formed, consisting of members of the previous government...

why is this coined a "coup d'etat"?

I can even see why he should not continue his present term.

But the current government would be wise to call in early elections.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
The first white boy I saw in six months was from Honduras...such a crush on him...

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
what did he say about the coup? wink