KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I love dancing and I love Poi - unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many places to combine both. I know that the Drome in London is pretty Poi friendly. What about compiling a list of clubs that are Poi and staff friendly.This includes a place for Poi lovers to pick up Poi and start swinging, professional gigs in clubs, outdoor festivals etc. It would be nice to have a Poi Club Directory as well as a members directory.I will be moving to the UK in the autumn and will definitely make it to the Drome to practice. However it would be nice to know from all the members what clubs are cool to go to and where they are.Kat ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
Goto aravecause peopleloveit thereandare usially veryfriendly andveryinterested inhowmuchyou practice etc...HA! my bro said i couldn't answer this in 10 words or less but i proved him wrong!

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Brixton accademy in brixton london have some poi friendly nights. a friend of mine performs there. names rob. look in "meet other" under Bristol and he is there. If anyone is in London and fancies meeting up and swinging I am there quite a bit. Give us a shoutpeace out garbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Anywhere that plays techno will be good for poi. Try the fridge in Brixton for 'escape from samsara'. Hard House clubs are also good sometimes. What ever you do make sure you DO NOT go to 'drinking' clubs. You will get into trouble with large drunk men trying to impress their boy/girl friends with their masculinity. Go to clubs where people quaff drugs then sit around looking at the pretty poi...

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

diskomember
21 posts

Posted:
Samsara's good but its got a bit touristy - but the UV is still great to do poi under =). Yeah Jo, avoid beer nasties at hyperdelic trance clubs, they don't take too kindly to flouro types such as we! In case anyone in UK is in the Sheffield area, come along to Destination Venus for poi heaven every month (subtle plug!). ------------------*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the replies all you U.K people and Jeff. Yes - a sad and dismal response from those of you in other countries.Still all the U.K info is beneficial to me as that is where I will be located next year.I'm with Jeff on that raves are the best places to Poi - especially when they are one's organised by mates. In Japan the clubs are generally too small to start swinging and in Ireland the management are generally too ignorant. Poi at raves, espcially outdoors is great.Alas the danger is as you have mentioned, swinging at places where drunken oafs are dying to have a go and show off.I really don't want hassle from strangers wanting to play with my Poi. Even lending to friends is a pain as in response to 'where are my Poi' - I have been told 'oh, over there somewhere' and found them dumped in the mud after my friends got bored with them and found something new to play with.It's a shame that most people can't appreciate the beauty of Poi except when they are off their heads.Although - it does improve ones co-ordination s'pose...Kat ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
..not that I am condoning drugs in any way of course!!------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

- W B Yeats

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I've never been to a Psy-Trance event anywhere in Australia where I couldnt crank up at least a bit. Most of the time I cant get as close to the PA as I'd like, but hey - You cant get everything, and when that amazing track comes on the Poi / glowstix go in the backpack and I'm in the thick of it before the Bass drops :)Get a house / unit with high ceilings and / or a backyard. Crank your home stereo, install a UV tube and voila! Twirling paradise, without the drunken dickheads (unless you want them to be there ;) Now all I need is one of those Ballet Mirrors, so I can perfect my performance technique :)Josh