BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
So I'll be visiting NZ in a few weeks' time. I'd like to see a bit of Maori culture, but if possible in a not-TOO-touristy-cheesy way. Any advice?

Thanks smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
Hang out with Marky. He is Maori culture.

Sorry, thats some pretty crappy advice. I'm too white for this kinda info but Marky may actually know something. PM him perhaps?

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks Puff smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
There are several tourist ventures selling Maori experiences - google things like "powhiri" (Maori welcome), "haka" and of course "poi performance" with the different locations you plan to be in. Rotorua in the North Island is a big Maori culture centre but you'll find Maori cultural experiences of various costs all over NZ including here in Chch. If you have a spare $100 odd bucks the Wilowbank "Kotane" experience is supposed to be pretty good - expensive, but good. As for cheesy - I very much doubt any Maori folk will do cheesy - their heritage is too impotant to them to make it cheesy.

If you can get on friendly terms with someone of Maori descent they might be able to take you to visit a marae away from the tourists so that's worth a try.

One thing though - the traditional Maori greeting of "hongi" (pressing together of noses) I note today has been recommended to be suspended for the duration of the swine fever outbreak... !! serious!

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin