Page:
Salem_ArchfiendBRONZE Member
Dirty Raver Pocket Monster
11 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine was talking about different styles and he broke them all down into performance poi and battle poi. now i can tell the difference between the two, but Im curious as to what kind of movements and tricks one should execute. he said something about attack moves but i dont know what those are. do any of you?

Broken!This somber heart betrays only what it knows. A tragedy if nothing less. It merely scrapes the bones.You fell for kiss and a gentle touch.Now lost and alone...You hold your grudge,Because all you ever wanted You never really wanted that much-Salem

random joshstranger
8 posts

Posted:
i think if there wer somthign like battle poi it would be more of a defensive type of fighting you know seen as the poi would suround you

JD
honesty is the best policy
but insanity is the best defence XD

burning_ninjanewbie
39 posts

Posted:
most of my "battle moves" come out of isolations or weaves, they generally seem to be a blend of techniques at the same time, it's really hard for me to explain without having the poi in my hand to show you, the main pattern I've noticed is that I use my elbows and forearms only for range your wrist and shoulders seem to generate the power of the strike and they usually stall shortly after the follow through, it helps to reduce recoil time. It's almost identical to nun-chuku really, the hand leads while the weapon follows until the follow through then it changes for the stall. This isn't a great explanation for you but like I said I'd be better at demonstrating them than explaining them, sorry if it makes no sense to you.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
this is a silly topic but I will contribute to help out Salem.

Salem, I agree with Mucky. If you want to learn "Attack Moves" I suggest looking into rope dart. it is an ancient Chinese weapon which is 6m of rope with a weight on the end. It works by making various wraps around your body which you loosen quickly to "shoot" the dart at your opponent.

It is taught as part of the ancient chinese art of Wu Shu and is the most difficult of all the weapons to master.

BUT! while it takes decades to master for use as a weapon (accuracy being very difficult to obtain) that does not mean you cannot learn to use it for similar motives to poi. It has similarities to poi and i find it really opens up a different adaptation and style of movement with your poi.

See here fore a traditional rope dart master using his incredible weapon in competition:

Sontluxstranger
1 post

Posted:
Reviving this thread from the dead. I am learning poi myself and I want my poi to be aggressive, to be battle poi. Reading this thread, I notice a lot of aversion to the idea of poi at a weapon... why is this? It's a freaking flail, but on fire!

So anyone have any ideas on where to learn battle poi moves? Someone said something about nunchaku, I think this would be a good place to start.

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Because when people think things are weapons, they also tend to think of them as even more dangerous, which leads to those things getting banned or prohibited.

Case in point: Nunchaku in NSW. Prohibited weapon. (although that's not to say peeps don't have them regardless of the law)

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Beaniebob is right. It's already hard enough to travel with poi. The last thing we want is for people to think that they are dangerous. If you want to be able to use poi in self defense if needed, great. But don't advertise it as a weapon. That will only hurt us all.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

beaniebobGOLD Member
155 posts

Posted:
Seriously, we were taking contact poi (with the HoP style 6mm rope) on a flight, and they made us send it with the luggage because it's "A length of rope, and a possible tool for strangulation"

Ridiculous, yes - even the security peeps agreed, but that's in the regulations somewhere.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Pure stupidity. If someone tried to strangle me with a contact poi, I'd probably have to laugh before trying to defend myself.

I mean seriously, belt, ties, shoelaces..... But no poi?

Something doesn't check.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

beaniebobGOLD Member
155 posts

Posted:
Oh it's entirely doable with contact poi, especially since my poi are pretty long. Strangling a plane full of people, one by one? Not so practical. XD

trailatlas17Member
12 posts

Posted:
Do you have a video?

Page: