Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
And it wasn't even my free copy, it were somebody elses...

If you like reading other peoples opinions read on: (Or if I know you, I'll say something about you in this, if I don't more than likely I won't.)

Firstly, again, the quality of all the videos improved DRAMATICALLY over last years. There was no really truly bad stuff this time.

Couple of things I noticed immediately:

Sage: ZOMG, if there had been a pro camera crew there it would have super super super awesome. That camera dude was okay, but with a better camera, and more angles would really have done sage's performance justice. I mean, making fire orb interesting for like 4 minutes? Who would have thought that was possible!?!? Good dancing, good job!

Clure: Why is your camera sooooo grainy! ARGH! Nice use of guitar friend. I liked the close up of his face. The black between the fan cuts was perhaps a tad too long thou... Good to see some irish waterfalls!

What's with the DVD case saying Northern Ireland for one entry and Ireland, UK for another? Northern Ireland is part of the UK, Southern Ireland / the Republic, isn't. So that's the same thing? Plus the 2nd to last entry, from the US isn't listed on the back of the case which was confusing, since I think all the rest were...

Woolsey: Look at the camera more I think. Remember flirt with the camera! Also, really nice sequences that you culd tell you had worked on, with some really nice arm movement and gracefully dance ness. Hmmmmm.

FireTribe: You're camera angle almost crossed the invisible line. Which makes the 90 degree cut disorientating. Isometric angles / 45 degrees from front on, are different enough, and show the wheel plane.

Bluecat: Too many fades, not enough 'speed' changes in the spinning on the editing I think maybe. The scenery is almost better than the watching of the spinning. Over use of the silouette and the funny hats. Good effort for juggling in winter in scotland in loads of clothes thou.

Shilly Shally: Good use of close ups. Shame it's just from a gig, would have liked to see more of your crazy personality chris, and more dance stuff from you guys, cos I know you're awesome. Two very different camera shots as well, one very orange and the other a higher shot showing the audience in front. The orange one is rather nice, but the other is not so well done. The light isn't so good in that one.

Not many stories this time around I seem to recall.

Unhurried: EXPLORATORIUM! Woohoo! errrrr, nice staff stuff, good movement as every. By the end thou, I would have like to see you hurry up. Some differences in the intesity of your movement would have been nice. There were some really beautifully graceful bits in there thou... Hmmmmmmm.

Sandy: Juggle wibbling? Oh dear. Have you taken up WoW as well? Don't you have better things to do with your time? ;P
Er yeah, nice video, liked the previous location under the M32 better, had more contact staff in it too. What can I say? I'm biased. I could see the influence of the india (was it india?) trip.

Noel: Er, you look a bit like a school teacher... tongue2 Some geeky ass poi in there, and some good looking backgrounds... A bit frantic with the poi at the end thou....

Durbs: YEAH! Good effort! I bit far from the camera occassionally, and like you'd just gone out to the forest near your house with a camera and a tripod.... Swwweeeeettttt footwork, some really well integrated with the poi movements. You're trying to be the whipcatch king huh? Is that like the milky bar kid but different? "Whip Catches are on me!" Er, yeah, really liked it. Could have done with you doing every awesome whip catch you know, in a row, with incredible transitions in a single shot... but well... that'll be next year huh? wink

Firegroove: Wooooooo, I was at that film shoot! grin gotta love lester and jade's routine and the fire swords... grin Love you guys.

Michael: Go SOX! Was this filmed before or after firedrums?

Er... yeah, nicer DVD this time too. I liked the solarised slowmo title sequences. Of course the question is: Whose silouettes are on the cover? And the real question, why is the earth pictured on the cover centered on america? here's me thinking HOP was based in NZ? grin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
so, as i wait for the ultraslack members of 'Toast to respond to me, i will write here some thoughts after 2 viewings...

won't be as in depth as last year, but i will say one thing that for me definitely does 'raise the standard' - there are no sketchy videos there. each one is at least pretty good. result!

standout ones for me, in no particular order:

durbs: its a shame you never actually spin like that wink I'm voting for you to not be allowed to enter it as it's not representative...
seriously, its very nice, very skilled, and you done good.

mcp: much better on a second viewing. could have done with either being one shot or many, not 2. better than last years.

Nick: I wathced this, and said 'i have never had a single spin as beautiful as this' clap

Firetribe Duet: not ubertechy, but really, really nicely done. and the timing is utterly impeccable. much kudos.

Sandy: i really like the skillz, the style, the washed out colour... but i think the last shot shouldn't be there, and i think a lot of folks won't like the washout.

Glow with the Flow: first time i watched it i skipped on cause of preconceptions about the way the start looked...... second time i watched it and appreciated it for what it is, which is a really nice spin with great editing. clap

Clrrrrr and will: difficult to talk about this one cause i know both the music and the fire piece so well, and yes, i spotted the out-of-sync-ness... but i love it. and always will.

--------

I'm pleased that mine and sebs is getting a general thumbs up - makes me want to actually put in a proper COL effort next year, making sure i have tapes that work... now then. who to persuade to come for a long visit.....? tongue2

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Bluecat, you only get points for snow if you're naked! grin

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Don't encourage him, COL is meant to be family fun, not mind-numbing horror.
Plus, think of the shrinkage wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i can post the naked snow footage we have here, but i didn't think it was suitable for the yoof of today...

tongue2

Noelskimember
129 posts

Posted:
Meggie so nicely suggested I write something, so here we go, even though for some reason, I seems to say things then offend people, nothing personal here just honesty about my feelings...I am posting only the videos I can remember right now as I sub the 4th grade!!

Congrats to everyone who made it in,
I feel so happy to be on a compilation with so many other colleagues and friends =)

1) Circles in the Anomalous Zone

Khan it started really interesting, but then got a little boring, you have many more innovative tricks now for hoop. But I am little sad you quit poi and CJ, and don't have much in the vid...I did like the above shot from your job (**wink) looks great, you could have worked with that a little more. Ohh mayor Newsome in your video next year
More with two hoops? More contact with the Hoop!!! I am so glad there was a hoop vid in COL though, so thanks. Also thanks for everything you've done for me in the past, spinagogue, inviting me over and everythin...

2) Sage of Sangre del Sol

I dunno, I think sage as a performer might be the best one on this video, with probably poi, doubles and dancing. But ironically enough she didn’t spin them, reminds me of that ejc video with arashi and the hand candles. But, I’d much rather watch sage dance around with a flaming marshmello on a string, than arashi and the majority of spinners that I coulda been watching instead. I was a little disappointed sage didn’t spin, she can really bring it, and is such an inspiration to dance while spinning.

3) Unhurried, Ian Smith

I dunno, I know this guy, kinda unfair for me to say something. But he dances, more modern and slow. I did think his spinning could have varied a little in tempo, yeah the song kinda sucked. Overall though good showing but could have been a little shorter. But I watched you slap it together in hot ass Richmond Virginia, so good for getting it done on time.

5) MCP

Meg nice T-shirt. Where’s you cute little asian girl costume. Good doubles and such, but we’ve alls seen the other long ass doubles videos you’ve made….next year dress up and do something different. But I do like how your video wasn’t trying to be all cool and emo like yours last year, more down to earth. (or increased lazy-ness) Ohh, you look like ROCK, maybe serpentine, either way add some movement!! Like Bhutto, or salsa 6)

Direction change

Boo me. I coulda tried harder, but I like the locations if you look close in the contact staff shot there are bison in the way back. Way cool!

7) Bali Dreams

Dang, one of the best filmed burns ever. But I seen it already in the Nicks new DVD. Little different than original. Actually considering the high quality of the vid in Nicks DVD “Moves” I am surprised that his COL entries quality was kinda, eh.

8)Meet me here

Very boring introduction. I am not so into the candle stuff unless it has more manipulation in it. Like Ima or maybe Arashi. Had a big hippie vibe to it, like then there was this guy standing next to the waterfall, then the props are now poi... I thought that the music could have been a little better. Also the video quality was sooper poor….i like the spinning a little when it started.

11) Shilly Shally

I love Chris, Corey and Sully.
More tech from others than Chris, or just make it all Chris. More meteor with chris. Excellent camera, nice capture of images. Chris, where are you!!! Come back to the USA soon…

12) Sandy

I like this video a lot, shows a wide variety of skills and techniques. I guess I could have done without the five ball stuff, that was a little over the top. Nice smooth contact, the camera colors with the green were good. I like your martial arts movement things going on. I thought that scene with the three poi wibbling actually was really funny, especially the angle. Only bad thing is Sandy's serious face, more happy!

13) Goropika

Hilarious. Does appear to be a pretty good performer though. Not so much on tricks. Such a big guy with such a little staff is kinda funny. Especially when it goes between his legs…hehe… Seems very similar to Dai’s video last year. Lots of drumming and screaming japenese guy. Unless there is a lot of that in Japan.

14) Spinning in headphones

IMHO best video of COL 2008, neat-o style with the gliding and whip catching. Nice locations. I like the sweat pants, makes you look like some kinda british hip hop ruffian who likes dub step. Also they actually ripple when you slide around which is kinda cool. Also the vest makes up for that a little. I hope you win. Would make me happy.

15) Torch Poi

Dang this guys facial expressions are even more real in person. So real you might not be able to even look at him when he spins. Innovative-ish prop, torch poi, but not the best execution, learn more tricks and make them more innovative.

17) Firegroove

SEAN BARRY EXPERIENCE!!! I really like the song, I like how much more relaxed this video is than fire grooves previous ones, much less being cool (although the location is still super cool) and more on spinning. Nice partner doubles jade and lester. Good spinning from Hannah as well. I dunno, maybe next time you should go to like a crappy place in la and shoot instead of all these nice ones…I still think this video looks very fire groov-ish, I’d like to see you all outside of the cool box more often.

18) Ebino

Did Yuta really condone this? Nice spinning from Yuta, but sorry to say not as interesting as I might have hoped. The moon effect is not as cool as it was initially intended though. I want Yuta to make a new routine!!!! With Cat-eyes!! And no stalls wink

20) The Erasing Rubber Art Duo

Some crazy beautiful sunset shots in there. I am going to assume that the staff juggling wasn’t as good as it coulda been because of the cold. I was kind of disappointed in the level of the partner staff stuff. I’ve seen you and Sebastian juggle better, two years ago in paris. Also many of the shots don’t show the juggling s good as it could. I love the location, and the water and stuff, like conan the destroyer… Finally where’s Robert Heart!!!

Okay if you want me to write somethin about your vid and i didn't let me know, thats all I remember right now....thanks for listening.
EDITED_BY: Noelski (1227207943)

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
My copy hasn't arrived yet and the anticipation is killing me.

Noel & Richee, I have to say I agree with your comments on my video. I was pretty psyched about it when I first made it, and still am pleased with it as a visual exercise and for the feeling of it, but not so much with the hooping.

I had more stuff planned with the City Hall location, but I was asked to stop because they had to set up for a prom, and I didn't have time to go back and shoot more. I only got about 6 minutes of footage in that location and some of it is just the blank floor. I spent more time setting up the camera than actually hooping. Some of it could've been cut and replaced with better hooping from the park, but at the time I wanted to use as much of the interior footage as I could, because of what a pain it was to get. Probably not the soundest artistic decision.

I'll be sure to speak with the Mayor about making a cameo in the next one. Maybe if I hoop in front of his office...

And for the record, I haven't "quit" poi and cj...I just hoop more (and still not enough...)

I'm really looking forward to this one...maybe it will be waiting for me when I get home later.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Thought id post a little about the ones i can remember as standing out as ive lent my copy to a friend.

Meg: up to your usual standard, some lovely doubles patterns but the contact looked a bit lazy, sorta like you couldnt be bothered. Locations were nice but more would have been good.

Nick; Beautiful. All that needs to be said.

Noel; nice, a couple of the locations were a bit dodgy though as you couldnt see the sticks very well against the background. And you could work on your footwork a bit for some of the contact but i LOVED the negative space poi.

Clare; A bit hippy for my tastes but that was the best fire hands ive ever seen so really enjoyed it.

Durbs; yea rockin'! watched it with Bags and had an argument over your whipcatches, i liked them, he didnt. Dancey popping stuff was tre cool.

Bluecat and Bastl; I think your too hard on yourself, your video was great but i can see how you could have put more stuff in there. Locations were the best on the dvd and i'll give you credit for juggling in baltic temperatures even if others wont.

I did have some thoughts on others but without the dvd here i cant remember which ones. Overall though very good, i think its going to continue to get harder to judge every year.
EDITED_BY: -sandy- (1227448584)
EDIT_REASON: claire / Clare

"Don't do it naked!"

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Finally got round to watching my copy the whole way through, some thoughts and feedback...

COL2008 DVD
Pros:
Better menu system, nicer intro scenes (the solarized stuff), good quality of entries
Cons:
A couple of typos, artist names missing in credits (as in actual names, not just names of video), less prop variety than last year (I thought anyway...). Also I think the order was a bit strange; contact staffer followed by another contact staffer, then 3 poi-ers - for me it emphasised any skill differences which detracted from the artsy side of some videos.

Circles in the Anomalous Zone
Pros - Settings, costume, movement.
Cons - Isolation work was a little sloppy.

Sage
Pros - Movement, as Meg said - keeping orb interesting is an impressive feat!
Cons - I don't know why, but it bugs me this was just a filmed performance. One (off centre) camera angle, no close ups, just seemed to suggest a lack of overall effort in terms of putting an entry in. Also meant some of the dacning wasn't that clear.

Unhurried
As the name suggests, slow style - though this, for me, meant the whole energy level was quite low. Nice skills and setting though

Meggy:
Obviously of silly-high tech quality, and pleasantly light-hearted with drops and cheese-poses a-plenty. Wasn't sure about the background. Modern, but a bit too plain. Don't see how you can diss my "costume" tongue2

Noel:
As others have mentioned, the backgrounds sometimes made it hard to see the staffs, but the n-space poi was cool and it had a nice overall feel to it. Nice ice-lolly.

Nick:
Lovely spin, single-take wonderfulness. Normally I'd say it would need more camera angles/shots or different locations, but the spin and performance were good enough to keep it interesting.

Cluuuuuuuur:
Video quality issues aside, I liked the presentation of it. My only real grip would be I've seen you spin poi a lot cleaner than that. I think i also would've zoomed in a smidge too to capture the full wiggle factor. My faveourite bit was Will's smiley strum close up.

Glow with the flow:
I really liked the presentation, though I'm sure I saw a cameraman in the background a couple of times.

FireTribe Duet:
I really liked the 2-person stuff, especially the subtle switch into 2 poi each. Costumes didn't really work for me (I just don't like zorro masks, sorry).

Shilly Shally Fire Arts:
Meh, as with Sage's I couldn't help but feel it was a minimal effort entry - just filmed at a spin-meet. Skills and performers aside, it didn't really work for me.

Sandy:
Smile wink I liked the look of the video, and the skills were top-notch. I thought the ball-juggling was a little unnecessary (though good) but really liked the ground-staff work.

Goropika:
Certainly interesting, use of live drummers was novel and spinning was good.

Me wink
The video kind of changed from what I'd envisioned it being, the after-effects weren't really needed (aside to cover up sloppy timing), and sort your encoding quality out.
Also, note to self, after cycling to nice locations, remember to un-tuck trouser leg from sock - looks very gay.

Torch Poi:
You scare me, possibly in a good way. Couldn't work out whether it was genuine or sarcastic/playful. Interesting prop, which could be developed further.

Red on Fire:
Think this was the belly-dancing fire fans? A nice routine, though a little too dark throughout which obscured some of the dancing. Nice though smile

Firegroove:
Wicked location, good to see a less promo-y feel to this entry. Good skills as always, though I miss the skimpy costumes wink

Yuta:
Nice spinning, nice lighting, the location was a little barren, but a highly watchable video.

Erasing Rubber Arse Duo:
Pish, stop being so hard on yourself Roblet. Best locations on the DVD, some fine staff play and beautiful visuals. Maybe not the greatest tech video, as sometimes you're a little too silhoutted, but for eye-candy it's top notch.

Infinitos:
Felt very much like a promo, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Often there was just too much happening on screen to actually take any of it in - though bonus marks for quantity of fire smile

Apologies for those I've missed, my memory's not what it was.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Hey beige is a lifestyle choice, not a costume. tongue2 grin

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Thanks Sandy and Durbin... And Durbin - you try your fancy slidey stuff in a big long skirt and uneven wet surface smile

Noel... hmmm. Lots I could say here about comments you made about me, and other people. But I'm not going to.

Just one thing: "I thought that the music could have been a little better"

Really?

Will is an exceptional musician and an incredible guitar player. The music used in my video was one of very few that was 'real', not just a generic track ripped off the internet.

I could rant on about this for much longer... but I'm going to stop here.

As for the hippy-vibe... I didn't see that smile

The Tao comment, my mum's skirt, the title (which was also the name of the track) all tied in to the meaning I was trying to get across - obviously not very well smile

Anyways...

Oh, and Sandy... I thought yours was great too (fantastic editing by Sy!), just very no-nonsense - and when I think of you, I see you smiling in a cheeky way smile

Getting to the other side smile

Noelskimember
129 posts

Posted:
i never meant to offend anyone, just my honest criticism's (lets not start this thread again)

oh no am I the new Meg!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I didn't realise the thread had stopped...

And no, you're definitely not the new Meg smile

Noelskimember
129 posts

Posted:
i meant the "honest criticism" topic that often happens when people have a hard time accepting certain forms of critique.

Not this thread, i would love to hear more from others about COL
EDITED_BY: Noelski (1227559513)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I think it's fair to be critical of criticism if the person that is the critic has totally missed the point of the video.

Like if I were to be all like critical of 'unhurried' saying he didn't do like five matrixies and loads of anti-spin contorted hand isolation doubles, it would entirely miss the point of the his video, which clearly isn't about that.

But hey, I can be harsh again if you want, just ask! I was being super heaps nice and when I look back at my first post I kinda cringe. It looks like a cuddly censored bluecat style of post. I'm so middle aged now. I can be mean still. I promise.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Thanks Clare, but i edited it not Sy. Although he did all the camera work for me. No mean feat for a cripple!

Yea i could have smiled more i guess, i did in some bits but they just didnt make it through to the final edit. Besides, i take my spinning very seriously dont ya know wink

"Don't do it naked!"

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hehe... no worries Meg... we all know you are the mother of mean... grin

And Sandy... wow, I thought Sy edited... good work then indeed smile

More smiling next time please grin

x

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
and meg? if you want me to be less cuddly, i will.

just wait til i tell you what i REALLY thought of your vidoe tongue2

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Hey! I didn't even use the word 'pandering'. grin

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
panda-ing?

Non-Https Image Link

i kick your ass.

-------

when do we get judgement, in a moment of on-topicness?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
BLUECAT BIRTHDAY
!!!

Non-Https Image Link
Take that!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
I think the birthday cat would rather go for wine grin

Non-Https Image Link

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Or perhaps just hang out looking mysterious
Non-Https Image Link

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
cool... I never thought about it before, but "blue cat" is the name of a very fine chocolatier in brisbane cbd...

mmmm... chilli chocolate truffles... ubblove

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

automaticforthepeopleGOLD Member
Obama supporter
32 posts

Posted:
To quote MCP's opinion of COL2008:

"There was no really truly bad stuff this time."

I was on COL2008. That means MCP thinks that I am not truly, absolutely horrible at spinning. If she put that on a button and gave it to me, I would wear it. I'm not even joking.

MCP - To answer your question, the torch poi entry it was filmed after FireDrums. I had never seen 1.5s before FireDrums, and it gave me the idea to try them with torch poi.

Noel - I agree. I have a long way to go in spinning, and need to learn more. But I'm glad I got torch poi on a COL....Hopefully, my entry will encourage others with more skills to try their hand at torch poi (and then they'll teach me how to make those things sing).

As a side note, Noel, my entry for next year's COL will only be facial expressions, with no props of any kind.

Two words: antispin eyebrows. You heard it here first.

Good heavens. The USA elected Obama and the Red Sox just signed 2008 MVP Dustin Pedroia to a six year contract. Verily, friends, it is a great time to be alive right now.

"The storm it came up strong,
and shook the trees,
and blew away our fear."

-R.E.M. "Half a World Away"

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
:ditto: Compliments from Meg are amazing. I've printed mine out and am going to have it made into a t-shirt wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
whereas i'm keeping a collection of all my mcp-insults and am hoping to publish soon....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Ohhhh, where's my preview copy?

Tis not fair. You never insult me to my face. I feel unloved.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
*looks at Photo of Meg*

Bitch. tongue2

grin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
So when do the judges reach their decision and announce this to the world - "Winners will be announced in November" wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
So Noel lent me his copy and I finally got to see it! This is such a valuable project Malcolm & HoP have undertaken, it really gives such a good snapshot of how these arts are developing over time. YouTube performs some of the same function, but whereas the vids on YouTube are often process-oriented, these are so much more about presentation, and they're "curated" so the overall quality is assured.

[/digression]

As is the case with everyone, I was enthralled by some of these and bored by some others but even those had redeeming qualities. Mostly for the ones I thought less successful it was a case of all the pieces not quite coming together, even if they were all present.

My top three, the ones that made me go 'wow' more than once and that I had to immediately rewatch (in order of appearance):

Bali Dreams / Sandy Contact / Spinning in Headphones

I can't rank them though as they're all so good in different ways.

Clare, I thought your video was lovely but in particular I wanted to mention that I love the music. I've actually hooped to it a couple of times, it's great. Kudos to...Will(?).

Good effort everyone! Already plotting for next year (so much to practice!!!)

p.s. the title of the track in mine is "Medibeat" ('beat', not 'bent' ;p)
EDITED_BY: _khan_ (1228844693)
EDIT_REASON: track title

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Page: