Forums > Social Chat > Jaywalkers international

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yes, I got to admit: I'm a notorious Jaywalker!

Especially if there is a red light blocking my path, I do just go a few yards off in either direction and then cross the street according to traffic.

And yes, I'm guilty of expecting parents to explain their children that I might act as a bad example.

Can't help it - that's just how I'm wired.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I'll cross the road whenever it looks safe to me (although we don't have jaywalking rules here), but I try to make sure that if there is a parent with small children around that I wait for the lights. Just like I try not to swear around kids either....

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Whats the exact definition of Jaywalking? I just think of it as walking in the road

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Chris: oooh - wouldn't equate jaywalking to swearing tho' wink

Will: that's the point - Jaywalking IS just walking the road (and crossing where there is no crossing)...

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I thought for it to be jaywalking you had to impede the flow of traffic.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
So long as traffic doesn't then impede the flow of your walking it's ok. (Especially by hitting you, that'd be bad.)

WiccanChicaThe wee little one on the block
147 posts

Posted:
That'd be a tad painful if it impededed your walking by hitting you... But in the word of my father "Get up and walk *ride* home, your fine!" (Wonderful man, so encouraging)

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a loser in aluminum foil.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I cross when I determine that it's safe to do so, however I try to not do it when there are young and impressionable children around.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I think in Australia its something along the lines of "Crossing the road within x metres of a crossing" (Of course not using that crossing.)

I tend to wait if I'm not in a rush... if it looks safe and I'm in a rush I'll go for it, kids around or not. I figure I'm being a good model for long enough that its just as important to show kids that some people don't do the right thing. (But I always make a point of looking right and looking left and looking right again before crossing)

hug

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I only jaywalk when when i'm wearing pants. simpe solution, EVERYONE TAKE OFF YOUR PANTS.

'cept for Mother_Natures_Son, you need a bath first, mate.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Damn... can't I just be hosed down?!

hug

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
What is this now? A wet t-shirt competition?

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Depends on what the prizes are, Rouge Dragon. tongue2

hug

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
heeey, now here is an awesome thread!

like i've previously said i jaywalk lots when i'm not going to 'impede the flow of traffic'. i always look right left right before i cross (or the direct of closest oncoming traffic first and last). often it just comes down to what sort of mood i am in or if i'm in a hurry, i generally dont take notice if kiddiewinks are about.

as previously stated i have been stopped by policy for jaywalking twice. the first time i was already late for work, didnt impede traffic flow, then got told off and let off with a warning from the cop standing across the other side of the road. the second time i was just enjoying my walking flow and didnt see the need to stop when there was no traffic coming, once again the cop was standing directly on the other side, stopped me and told me off before letting me go with a warning.

interestingly, i believe both times i was stopped i was also listening to music on an mp3 player. i wonder if that either effects my jay walking judgement, or ability to be oblivious to police presence tongue2

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
As I've said in another thread: I'm not ready to have my life determined by a traffic light, as long as my self-responsibility gets me to the other side, safe and sound.

I like to stand for that, even with children around.

Not that I rather watch them die, but live a life in mental captivity - it's that I believe that standing at an empty crossing just because a bulb is shedding "red", is crippling and insulting intelligence. Further the "good example thing" - I'm not good at that, I'm far better at serving as the bad one.

Rouge - you'd fall for it? [/scrapped the "foothold"] wink OMG it almost seems as I'm spellbound spank the :loco:

PS: aaawwww - no more the loco gaemlin? Must report to the bug files!

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
I was once told off by a cop for jaywalking. Twas worried i'd go to jail - man it got the adrenalin pumping though!

bodhisattvaSILVER Member
my body is a tattooed temple
366 posts

Posted:
i once got run over from crossing the road at a junction rather than going to the crossing .It was fatal for about 2 mins , luckily a nurse was there and rebooted me .i still cross wherever i like , some people just never learn

when the body is happy the mind smiles

to live a single day and hear a good teaching is better than to live a hundred without hearing such teaching

and everything is measured by the hole it leaves behind

WiccanChicaThe wee little one on the block
147 posts

Posted:
laugh3 That's simply brilliant Bodhissttva! I mean the "some people just never learn" part, not the part about you getting hit... uhh -cough cough- I remember when I was... I think Nine I was riding my bike across a road and my brother had previously taken the breaks out without my knowledge and I was hit by a car... it was rather painful... I also have had my feet run over by a car, had it stop on top of them, then turn the wheel, and finally drive off. But that one didn't happen while Jaywalking, it happened in my garage... so I suppose that's a tad off-topic. I suppose this whole post was. My Apologies.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a loser in aluminum foil.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Origin of Jay-walking as a term.

From World Wide Words:

Originally Posted By: Michael QuinionThe experts are sure the jay is the bird, one of the American jays, presumably the common bluejay. From around the last quarter of the nineteenth century, "jay" had been a slang term in North America for a stupid, gullible, ignorant, or provincial person, a rustic, bumpkin, simpleton or greenhorn. I would guess it's a reference to the noisy squabbling of these slightly dim-witted birds. The jay I sometimes see on country walks, the European species, is placed in the genus Garrulus and garrulous is the right word for it - "jay" was an insulting term for a foolish chattering person back in the 1500s. It's not hard to see how country cousins, unversed to city ways, could have had this well-established sobriquet attached to them by supercilious metropolitans when they cluelessly wandered across a busy street or hopped about dodging the traffic.

That was part of it at least.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
umm that certainly wouldn't apply to the genialistic Jay's who spin semi-godlike wink

I clearly remember when I was a kid, on the way to school we had a traffic light there and I often came late for school, continuously pressing the button and watching the cars stop-and go-press button-cars stop-and go...... awesome!!!

Guess that's one experience that formed my habit of Jaywalking (nope, none of the guys ever came out to hit me over the head shrug )

laugh3

railspinnerjourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
I jay walk routinely. I try to make sure theirs no impressionable children watching me though. I am not going to let some roadway impede my walking. I won't make traffic have to stop/slow down for me, but I resent having to cross the road legally wasteing time waiting for a walk light or walking the extra distance to a crosswalk. It's not that im lazy or impatient really.. I walk everywheres and wont use the transit unless im going a really long distance or I have to make some place in time.

I also hate aggresive drivers that almost hit me when im crossing with a walk light. I always stand my grown and keep walking, timeing it so they almost hit me (i probably would have been hit a few times by ridicilous drivers if I wasn't paying attention)

Cars that acclerate or fail to slow down and almost hit me I kick their fenders as hard as I can. I won't tolerate aggresive drivers who put pedestrians at risk.

The less people know the more they believe

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/police-promise-jaywalk-blitz-20081013-4zjg.html

Melbournian Jaywalkers look out!

$57 is such a random number - what's wrong with $55?

I'd just like to hope that the revenue from this goes to implementing a congestion tax on the CBD (with revenue from that going to improved facilities in the CBD for non-motorists)...even though we're too car-reliant to do it frown