Forums > Help! > Is there a good way to protect my fingers while spinning.

Login/Join to Participate

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
First of all I should tell you what I use as a handle. Im not sure why but I like using key rings better than any other handle I have tried. The problem with them though is that they hurt your fingers after a while. They rub on your fingers and sometimes leave blisters and last night while I was doing a fire spin it actually cut my finger on the little piece were you would lift to put a new key on. I really don't wanna wear gloves and taping my fingers limits how much I can move them.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
you could try alternatives like caribeena's (sp??) or any other form of hoop

Let's relight this forum ubblove

journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
I have been looking around and trying new things but nothing comes close to those small rings. I think im going to stop by the hardware store on my way home from class today. Im in one of my collage classes at the moment. Im sure they will have some kinda solid rings roughly the same size as a key ring.

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
I'd get a larger diameter key ring (my hardware store stocks enormous ones so they're easy to find) and wrap it in something. Blisters are caused by friction, and the rings will tend to rotate back and forth on your finger as you spin so friction will ensue... Using a wider diameter *may* ease this somewhat as it will be more rolling than sliding, though the difference may be minimal. Still, the wider the contact point the more the friction is distributed over your skin, and the less damage they'll suffer. You'll have to experiment with material to cover the ring in. Also, let your hands heal completely, or wear gloves (I know) over band-aids until they do. You may not like gloves, but blisters on the fingers are way less fun.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
Try swapping to a ball-weight for the grip?
Then you can do throws as well!

Other than changing your handle I can't think of a solution, sorry!

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
it doesn't apply to the lil piece of something cutting you... but for the blisters, quite a valid alternative is just to "toughen up, buttercup"... do it often enough and blisters turn into callouses...

callouses are your friend

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I always used to wrap the contact points on my fingers in microporous surgical tape. You just have to think carefully how you do it to maintain movement. Its pretty flexible anyway though.

Its available from any chemists and most supermarkets now. Just dont get fuel on it or you will have wicks for fingers!

I use wrist loops and then hold the chain of fire poi between my fingers and it was good enough to stop the 'chain rub'.

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Try using normal handles for a while, see if you can get used to them.

If you really have to stick with split rings, try getting a large metal loop without the split, as they're usually fairly sharp. And apart from that I'd agree with Pogo, just keep using them til you blister & callous up, plasters etc are all very well & good but it's a nightmare having to take them everywhere you want to spin & sort them out beforehand etc.

After you get through the nasty flaky stage of callous, the skin just grows leathery & tough but still flexible. My guitaring fingers feel almost like normal skin but are about twice as thick & have very little feeling.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
if you decide to callous up, then make sure you look after them too...

layer upon layer of hardened skin will build up into a "pad" of leathery flesh (as per geoff's description); if you sand them down regularly, such that they're relatively flush with the rest of your skin, you'll avoid tearing them. you do NOT want to tear a callous.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
Well my fingers are nice and think now. I tried some other handles though and I might be making the switch. The only problem I have been having with them is when I do some throw moves I can't get my finger back in the hole that easy. I end up doing a stall and slipping it in then. When I use key ringing I could just slip in the middle of a weave.