Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Chilled meet on the Gower (due to Play Cancellation) 23rd-27th July

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ok, so sadly the Play Festival has had to be cancelled due to a flooded/muddy site. So that people don't feel like they booked holiday, bus/train/plane tickets or bought tents all in vain, I decided to try and arrange a bit of a chilled meet up down on the south coast of Wales on the Gower. We had a bit of a chat and picked Llangennith as the spot to go to as it has a lovely large beach where the water is relatively safe to swim in and people surf there a lot. There are also quite a lot of campsites around that area so we should be able to get quite a few people spaces at such short notice. We may not all end up in the same campsite, but that's not so bad as we can meet up on the beach.

I have found a campsite that has space and told me as long as you don't need electric hook ups they see no problem with taking a group of us. I said it would be about 12 of us (as I didn't want to freak them out with a number like 30-40)... and his reply was "mid week is no problem, we only get fully booked on weekends, so if you phone up and book for the Wed/Thursday through to the Sunday on you will get a pitch". It's not the campsite on the beach at Llangennith but that site doesn't like people to book in advance and I thought some people that were coming from a long way or with children would prefer to have a booked pitch before they arrived.

The site is Kennexstone Camping and touring Park. PLEASE DO NOT MENTION FIRE SPINNING WHEN BOOKING. We obviously cannot spin fire on the site and it would only put the owners off allowing you to camp if they thought you might. I ask any of you before booking to read the rules of their park and be sure you feel you can stick to them before you book. If you don't think you can, please don't book. One person annoying them and getting thrown out could get the rest of us thrown out too. Thanks

You can of course take your chance of their being space free at Hillend Campsite and just turn up on the day. The site is lovely and right next to the beach that I would recommend we all meet up at. I think Jon and I will probably be trying to camp here, just because it's a stones throw from the beach.

For those not wishing to camp, there is a Youth Hostel too

I'm not sure this place is available for the weekend as no one answered the phone when I rung,but if 14 of you got together you could hire this place

And for the rich biatches amongst us how about here

For those that will be travelling by public transport you can get to Swansea by train/bus and then catch a bus from Swansea to Llangennith. If there are enough people coming by car we could arrange pick ups on route from swansea too.

For general travel info to the Gower

Train travel

Buses

You will all need to make your own camping arrangements as I don't have the funds to pre book sites for people. Sorry. If you are having travelling problems let us know and we will see what we can work out.

EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1215773012)

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
We have been down to Hillend today and it was looking glorious in the sunshine, but be warned that most of the time it is quite windy there so a few wind breaks wouldn't go a miss on the beach, up past the dunes in the campsite isn't so windy but on the beach it is... as the many kite boarders and buggy riders were proving today as they sped up and down the beach.

There is a surf school running most weekends with wet suit and board hire, so if you want to learn or just can't be bothered to bring your own you'll be fine.

The shower block and loos have been re-built/refurbished since I was last there and today they were spotless and the water was hot. There is an on site restaurant for those that don't want to cook... not sure what the food is like.

The roads to get down there from Swansea are "rural" and you may very well meet on coming traffic that has nowhere to get out of the way or a flock of sheep on the road, so take it easy if you are driving. Beware the GIANT tourist coaches. They take up most of the road.

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Don't forget your flip flops!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
You'd be surprised.We were there yesterday afternoon and witnessed people packing up to leave after a weekend there and it was pretty full. I'm sure we'll be ok. Jon and I have an 8 man tent so if anyone does show up and can't get their tent pitched, I'm sure we can fit them in our tent and just pay an extra charge for the extra person in the tent.

Thanks for starting a list.
EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1216641891)

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
I'm out I'm afraid, going to SGP instead, sorry guys!

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I'm out too frown, but I'm doing something more local instead. Thanks for the offer of a lift Skully.

See you all in another field somewhere sometime, somehow hug

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
frown We'll miss you Jem! See you at Bristol Juggling Convention maybe?

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Scully and Nic I PM you my phone no.
See you soon Kev

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
We will be down to Hillend sometime tomorrow night.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
BJC it will be then smile
Don't get blown away this weekend!....I plan to get rained on, sun blasted and eat hello kitty noodles, in wellies rolleyes ubblol

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
OK - we're all packed up and ready to go, having carried out a minor hit on Oddballs earlier today smile

All we have to do now, is shoehorn it into my roller skate of a car and we'll be away.

It may stop, but it never ends.

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
And... we're off biggrin

Had to ditch some of the food, to get all the toys in - but hey... smile

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Hope you guys have a wicked weekend biggrin make sure to take lots of photos!!

Will miss you lots xxxx

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
That was brill and we got back with no problems, although the traffic queue to the beach as we were leaving today went back 3-4 miles.

Thanks to Skully and Jon for the brilliant idea - those were the most chilled out days I've had this year hug

I've added a few pics to my gallery space - hope ya like 'em. I'll add a couple more when I've gone through them properly smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Thanks for coming over to Wales to play and chill with us!

grouphug

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Great weekend guys thanks.
Allways good to see old freinds and better to make new ones.
Pics too come shortly.

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
That was awesome smile

Big smiles all round.
Thanks everyone biggrin

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
I've just added another half dozen or so pics to my gallery - hope they bring back some happy memories.

I think that'll definitely go down as the high point of the Summer for me. Last week's stewarding at the Sidmouth Folk Festival left me damp and with a nasty cold frown

Not that I'm a folkie or anything - it's the missus, she's mad for it hug

The only thing now is... I can't get those paragliders out of my mind... and there's a school just 11 miles away... Hmmm...

Page: