Forums > Social Discussion > Bush tries for permanent occupation and US legal immunity...

Login/Join to Participate

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Insert "entirely un-surprised but still distraught smiley" here

Full story at the Independent

*sigh*
What a legacy to leave...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I can't imagine that they would sign it, sounded like only a small percentage of people there want us there.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
But it's not always a case of "want" - the US have enough influence, not to mention bargaining chips to force the signing through...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Any which way - if that's fact it'd clearly show how whacko this Billy Boy really is. May he never have to face the truth (of my world) but may the light come to him.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
....it was about liberating the people of iraq...........

yeah.......

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Article

Washington also wants control of Iraqi airspace below 29,000ft and the right to pursue its "war on terror" in Iraq, giving it the authority to arrest anybody it wants and to launch military campaigns without consultation.

Mr Bush is determined to force the Iraqi government to sign the so-called "strategic alliance" without modifications

"The essence of this agreement is to turn the Iraqis into slaves of the Americans."

The US is adamantly against the new security agreement being put to a referendum in Iraq, suspecting that it would be voted down

I still support the war in Iraq though, I think it was a very good thing that America has dissembled a ruthless dictatorship and established a democracy.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :NathanielEverist

I still support the war in Iraq though, I think it was a very good thing that America has dissembled a ruthless dictatorship and established a democracy.

Please provide evidence that a stable democracy currently exists in Iraq.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by :

and established a democracy.

Written by :

The US is adamantly against the new security agreement being put to a referendum in Iraq, suspecting that it would be voted down

umm

Democracy, but only if it goes their way...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
Utterly gobsmacking. PRC/Tibetan parallels anyone (albeit more polite)? 'It's for their own good! They just don't know it.'

Written by :Durbs

Written by :

and established a democracy.

Written by :

umm

Democracy, but only if it goes their way...

Agreed!

I do so enjoy the constant barrage of referendums our age old UKstyle democracy affords us.
...wait wink

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
All I can say is... lol.

Sorry, maybe selecting a bunch of quotes that completely contradicted my statement prior to said statement being stated wasn't enough to display my sarcasm. The U.S.A went about the War in Iraq in a clumsy and needlessly bloody manner.

BurdaA,

I too enjoy a good referendum, on behalf of Australia I thank the UK for it's political system and style of referendums.

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
On behalf of the UK you are most welcome good sir.

Although I was pushing a little satire, there's often outcries for a referendum when a major political/legal change is put forward, and I can't remember the last time one was granted. A referendum seems to be more commonly used as a counter-argument in the House of Commons than anything else here (purely my own experience).

Here's hoping yours shall fare better than ours.

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
Here we go:

Linky poos

I was 11 the last time I was in an affected area.

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Nope, Australia's history of referendums is littered with failures. Of the last 44 referendums, only 8 have passed, and they were on pretty passable things, like having Aboriginals included in the census.

(Off topic)I personally feel that the difficulty of passing a referendum that is embedded into the constitution is a little bit too harsh, as it is exceedingly difficult to do so, and due to Australia's natural tendency towards conservatism, especially in more rural areas, most referendums fail. Unfortunately, but also kind of ironically, we need to pass a referendum to make the passing of referendums easier.

Although the difficulty of a successful referendum in my view binds our constitution, others feel that it solidifies it, and prevents governments or states from taking advantage. It's a safe-guard, and one that should only be altered when it's of utmost importance. (end off topic)

Sorry to go off topic. Back on topic, The war in Iraq was poorly executed.

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Isn't it just typical of Bush to continue being a censored right up untill the end.

Sorry to all of you yanks but you screwed up big time when you voted him back in for a second term.

Granted the US did rid Iraq of Sadam but is there really any significant difference between a ditatorship and the US Occupation. Both partys consider(ed) themselves to be above the law and neither have given the people of Iraq freedom from an opressive system of government. All the US has really done is change the rules for their own benifit, so the Iraq can say that it has *Democracy*. Meanwhile the US is pushing the newly appointed officals into a corner and dictating their actions.

Just so that I'm clear I don't hate the Americans people nor do I love people of Iraq but I do have issues with American politics (especialy Bush).

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
.... errm I suppose you guys have still problems in figuring out exactly what democracy is. Like 'true' communism - 'true' democracy is yet to be installed.

Simply going to vote every 4yrs has nothing to do with democracy... at least IMO.

It doesn't surprise me that GWB is still clinging on to the New American Century ubblol the website got suspended - also that is not surprising shrug just too obvious.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
ditto

Written by :DarkFyre

Isn't it just typical of Bush to continue being a censored right up untill the end.

Absolutely, however I doubt this idea was actually Bush's. It would make sense to do this before he steps down, so as not to tarnish the reputation of the next president should he be republican. And by binding it in writing should Obama get in, it makes his declaration of withdrawal difficult to enforce. The harder Obama's job is, the less likely the democrats would be re-elected. Although this is only scratching the surface.

Politics innit

..Sux dunnit

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:

Sorry to all of you yanks but you screwed up big time when you voted him back in for a second term.

Now I'm not entirely sure, as i don;t really follow politics, and am not a registered voter, BUT i beleive that Bush lost the popular vote both terms....it is the vote of the electoral college that matters....

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

*throws up hands* I didn't vote for him!

He is not my president and never was. He tried to be my dictator, and I suppose it is a sign of strength of the U.S. that he failed. Although he's still got a few months to declare a state of emergency and have himself installed as Supreme Grand Poohbah For Life.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
 Written by :FireTom

.... errm I suppose you guys have still problems in figuring out exactly what democracy is. Like 'true' communism - 'true' democracy is yet to be installed.

Democracy in its purest form would be everybody having input into every political issue, which currently isn't practical.

In the future, with the development of increased telecommunication technologies, and the awareness of how to use, and accessibility to these technologies will in my opinion make a far more "true" form of democracy in the future.

However, in the mean-time, I agree that voting for a representative every 4 years isn't an ideal democracy, but it's a practical one based upon tradition, and it's one that's not going to change without a fairly major referendum. I'm against representative government all together, as once you've instilled your representatives in Parliament, there's no legal obligation for them to maintain the promises they may've made during their political campaign, and in some cases, a single politician is given enough power to do, well, pretty much whatever they please within the realms of the constitution, something that I cannot condone.

So, as much as it sucks, until there's a BIG change to the system, we'll have to keep voting for politicians once every four years with no guarantee that they'll even do what we voted them in to do. How I love "democracy" wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I voted for him and I'm not apologizing, nor do I think that I made the wrong vote

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
I admire your candour faithinfire, but still struggle to understand why you feel that way. I expect living in the UK I have a heavily media skewed view of Bush himself (Anti-Bushism being a popular topic here), but surely the mistakes(imo) his administration has made can't be subject to this. They're just too official.

I'm sorry if this seems intrusive, believe me I'm simply a curious creature lacking in social finesse.

I remember you saying in another thread that it was more a case of thinking he's done a better job than the alternatives would have. Do you think he's done a good job, or that he's simply the lesser of two evils?