PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I know this is U.S. specific, but really, what mother doesn't want to hear that it is a good thing to be, even on some random day?

So...to all those that are mother's of the older and the young.
To all those that are mother's, perhaps to a husband or significant other wink
To all those that are mother's to some random fuzzy creature or who act like a mother to some random group of people (you so know who you are!)....

Happy Mother's Day.
May you be filled with love, with joy and with the strength that it takes to be a mom.
Thank you for doing such a noble job.

hug ubblove

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I didn't think the US had mothers day this weekend? Or is it the UK that has a different one to Aus? All so confusing...

My family don't really do mothers day; it's just an excuse to have dinner with my grandparents. Hell, I didn't even join them for it this year!

We believe that we shouldn't need a hallmark holiday to love mum (or dad when the counterpart comes around in september). It's like Valentines Day; you should love each other every day, not just make a big deal out of it once a year.

As I told mum on the phone: since it's mothers day, I love you today, but no other day of the year.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
twas mama's day on sunday in both the US and oz... however, our papa's days do not coincide...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Thanks Pele, nice post. I spent the day in the nursing home with my dad.. there were lots of visitors to the elderly mums in the morning...and flowers everywhere, and nurses and visitors saying happy mothers day to each other. So it was nice and reduced my cynicism re holidays-invented-to-sell-cards somewhat. Anything that gets lonely old people visited is good.
Do they do it then in UK? I can't remember.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Mother's Day is earlier in the spring in the UK I believe.
Not sure when Father's Day is. Here it's in June.

I don't agree with "hallmark holidays" per se, but I actually have always liked Mother's and Father's Day.

I don't regard it as meaning that you love someone more only on that day, or less any other day Rougie, it's more of a kick in the bum. I know so many days where my son says "I love you" offhandedly (though he means it every time) but not "Thank you for being a good mom".
Today he did (first Mom's Day he has ever said that too). It's not that he doesn't feel it, it's that he doesn't think to say it. Truthfully, I need to hear it, even if it's prompted and once a year, so, I don't mind wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK