flashinglitesnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Just wondering how many Stilters are out there and how many do it for fun and/or as a job? And also experiences good or bad and advice. I've been stilting for 3 years on 50cm stilts and 1 year on 75cm stilts.

So experiences and advice and how tall are your stilts, plz?

biggrin

Kitsune34SILVER Member
51 posts

Posted:
Not meaning to be rude, but if you look [Old link], you can find stuff on stilts. Or if you do a search, you may find other stuff there. hug

"Always forgive your enemies, for nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

lampwortroynewbie
32 posts

Posted:
I stilt for fun. I spend all my stilting time going cross-country, up and down very steep and often slippery/muddy woodland paths or through fast flowing water and up and down flights of steps. I use 20 inch, 24 inch and 36 inch pegs which make me 7ft 8in, 8ft and 9ft high. The best advice I can give is learn how to fall safely before you learn to walk properly, and then practice, practice, practice

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
i work with stilts as a job i use powerisers, durastilts, pegstilts and frenchstilts

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
I'll be stiltwalking for work tonight. I generally use dura stilts set to around 2' in whatever costume the agency happens to be providing that day (tonight im a killer clown, it is halloween after all).

Genearlly i quite like stilt gigs but sometimes they can be a bit of a hassle, drunk people try to push you over or feel you up. I occasionally do poweriser gigs, they are more fun since people often havnt seen them before so are really interested.

Stilt walking can be quite a good way of making some extra cash fairly easily, as long as you know what your doing, its pretty safe (dont fall over, and if you do, fall on your knees and wear knee pads). Its also loads of fun characterising and playing with people, you get to be someone different for a while.

"Don't do it naked!"

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
hear the news about the guy in adelaide on the weekend who walked stilts 20m high? broke the world record by taking four steps.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
He broke the record? What about his neck?

20m is crap high. I want a rope if I climb that high on anything but stairs. wink

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I think i saw the guy who broke the record before this guy and he had a safty harness attached to a crane.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
From what I remember there's two records and one is with and the other is without safety equipment, by that I mean crane and harness not knee pads

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
ah that would make sense, though i doubt how much knee pads would do at that hight smile

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
FOr anyone looking for som cheap poweriser type stilts they have some on sale in eric cnooks in bath for 60 pounds down from about 180, They're not actually powerisers but are still very good espcially at that price

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

lampwortroynewbie
32 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ElectricBlueI think i saw the guy who broke the record before this guy and he had a safty harness attached to a crane.
That was Doug Hunt

Doug Hunt -

Guinness World Record Holder

On Saturday, September 14th, 2002,

Doug Hunt took 29 independent steps,

on stilts made of carbon fibre,

measuring 50 feet 9 inches in length

and weighing 137 pounds combined.

It's official !!!
Guinness has officially recognized
the two records for tallest and heaviest stilts.

lampwortroynewbie
32 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr Majestikhear the news about the guy in adelaide on the weekend who walked stilts 20m high? broke the world record by taking four steps.
Sydney - An Australian circus performer aboard 17-metre poles set a world record for stilt walking Sunday in Adelaide. National champion Roy Maloy succeeded in walking the requisite five steps on stilts the height of a four-storey building.

The stilts weighed nearly 60 kilograms, and it took Maloy 11 attempts to get moving.

"I have never done anything that I was more scared doing in my entire adult life," he told the national broadcaster ABC. "I was more convinced that I was going to die then than at any other point in my life, so I'm really thrilled."

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Hi Stilties..
if anyone wants to chat stilts, check this place out
https://tallstories.ning.com/

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Mike Wstranger
1 post

Posted:
I'm new to this forum & just wanted to say hi. I started stilt walking back in 1989 as a clown in the circus. For the past 8 years, I've been making a living just as a stilt walker. I love my job and consider myself very fortunate to be doing something I enjoy so much.

Mike W.
https://www.stiltfun.com

ahotparty.comBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Want to mix up the entertainment at your event? I can help you book a Stilt Walker in Florida.

ahotparty.comBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Looking for the best home party entertainment in Miami? Here at A Hot Party, we offer the best custom produced shows, choreography & unique specialty acts that can entertain your guests

HOP Newsletter