Forums > Social Discussion > Existance.... Necessary? or a choice?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
isol8edSILVER Member
33 posts

Posted:
Hey there humans... enjoying '08?
IN ADVANCE i'd like to apologise for the length of this, i hope you guys can bother getting through it all.

lately i've been pondering on something you've probably all gone over once or twice before, that is the need for existance. i know that the topic is impossible to resolve (so far in our advancement), so i shall put forth my reasoning, and hope you all have some constructive input.

i understand the process of how we got here (or the basics as explained by todays science)(i hope we all agree on the big bang theory), but i am puzzled as to our purpose.
my most sensible conclusion is that life is utterly random (there was no concious decision for things to occur), and chance (things really just kinda fell into place through time and energy), so really our only purpose is to make things comfortable for ourselves until the universe tears itself apart.
i believe that life is unecessary (at very least to the individual), so i dont really take life all that seriously, im more or less here for personal enjoyment.

thats where the choice falls into play, because with my applied logic (although possibly amazingly flawed), i can only see an instinctual/atomic drive to survive... even for those microscopic single celled oganisms that grew into us in the first place.

ALTHOUGH, my question towards my above statements would be; "then why would there be the capacity to exist if there was no point in existance"? i guess you guys could maybe help me out on that too.

maybe i will make no sense to anyone, but hopefully you guys will figure out what im trying to say and respond. good luck smile

p.s. if you'd like me to explain any parts of this post in more detail, feel free to ask, as i feel i have left alot to be imagined, and already known through study of evoltion of the universe.

PEACE OUT! hug2

insert witty statement here

vlynxnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Okay, this may not sound like a serious answer, but it is.

Existence is happening because it would be boring if there were no existence.

We exist to love and take care of each other, and to appreciate the universe, and to have a good time.

I exist to love and appreciate and to help others love and appreciate (which for me leads to having a good time).

I feel like there's something Divine, and that, whatever the Divine is, it started existence to have someone to love.
I don't have the impression that everything was created just as it is, i do have the impression that the universe was created and prob did a bunch of evolving.
I see no reason for faith and science to be in opposition, but then, i don't delude myself that i have The Truth about all this stuff. I'm just working on a continuously developing theory of how things are, based on what i experience and figure out and on what others have experienced and figured out that makes sense to me.
Of course, i could be entirely wrong and, say, Fred Dobson right, in which case i'm screwed, but if so, there's not much i can do about it, so i'll keep on trying to be as nice as i can to everyone i encounter.
Which reminds me, i really really feel that if there's one thing we can do to show our respect for the Divine, it's to be as nice as we can to everyone we encounter. If the Divine wants anything from us, i'm feeling like it's kindness.

vlynxnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
And btw, Stone, i don't want to sidetrack this, but a lot of people feel that GW Bush may not actually have been elected. There were huge questions regarding the legitimacy of the vote both times.
He's not my president, that's for damn sure.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Nice response vlynx. smile

Written by: vlynx

We exist to love and take care of each other, and to appreciate the universe, and to have a good time.

I exist to love and appreciate and to help others love and appreciate (which for me leads to having a good time).

Hopefully you accept that different ppl have a different definition of "having a good time"... wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

vlynxnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Oh sure.
As long as nobody's hurting anybody and interactions are consensual, i don't really care what you do.

Page: