Page:
ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
So do the celebs have to be well known for this competition or could we use local celebs?

Also why couldnt you make the kid comp 6 and under? frown I have the perfect pic but he is to old *sniff* Its okay I just wanna raze you guys about it smile

Don't hate me because I am different, hate me because I still think I am better then you!

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
What Competition are you refering to?
Is there a Poi spinning Celebs competition?
If so I can get about 12 - as im teaching a bunch of them to Spin fire for a SkyOne TV show

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
disqualified! :P

not from the comp, just from being a hippy. you have officaly sucked satans paycheck wink you must now relinquish your dreadlocks :P

good luck with that smile

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireNix

If so I can get about 12 - as im teaching a bunch of them to Spin fire for a SkyOne TV show

Yes there is a celeb and poi competition.

Don't hate me because I am different, hate me because I still think I am better then you!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: SoulEater

Written by: FireNix

Yes there is a celeb and poi competition.

Care to share this information because I'm sure we don't know what competition this is.

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
PK & FireNix, you really should check our competitions link more frequently! smile Here - the master list of competitions (sits right next to "Go Shopping" and "Help"): https://www.homeofpoi.com/competition/view_competitions.php

and the Celeb one entry page: https://www.homeofpoi.com/competition/new_media.php/14

So, I always knew we would get this question - how does anyone define who is famous or not? Am I famous just because I'm part of HoP and people all around the world know of me? I suspect not! but probably for the purposes of this competition one could argue I am!

The intent of the competition is for "famous" people - ones that it's reasonable to expect that a good number of people around the world know the person.
The local mayor or sports team probably doesn't cut it even though they might be "locally famous".

I'm not going to try and define what constitutes "famous" any more than this (at this stage anyway). Remembering that the judging is done by voting so the voting members will decide if someone is sufficiently famous to vote for.

Oh, and for the consumer of life forces - we had to pick an age (almost any age) so we chose the NZ school age as the cutoff. Sorry! Maybe next competition!

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
my apologies George, I never saw an announcement on the home page, I rarely check that competitions page as most competitions are announced or posted in the forum. wink

hug

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Competition Rules

One entry per person. No Photoshop editing allowed. You must have taken the photo yourself.

Well, there goes my Stephen Hawking idea!

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
What will these be used for?
Alot of higher end celebrities (which is what you are asking for) will want to know, and many request such photos not be used for anything other than personal use and no monetary exchange.

I also think this is very limiting in that, for many of us, we are hired in to do the poi *for* the celebrity, so they don't have to.

Personally, this competition does not sit well with me at all. A competition on here should be something that applies to a large cross section of people and this only applies to a very *VERY* small group of people. I think it is vastly unfair to most, as many are never exposed to anyone concidered famous...especially of the caliber that you are listing, since you are removing all sports teams, many bands, 90% of politicians and people who are famous from every subculture from the mix. I know a crapload of people who are nationally famous here, but are involved in subcultures and therefore wouldn't qualify.

This isn't like drawing or a photo comp where anyone can try it, if they want to. Most who would want to do this won't be able to because you are asking for people too high end.
And if we are voting on it, then I can say that while FireNix may be teaching someone concidered celeb where he is from, there's a good chance the Americans haven't heard of them, so that blows that out.

Now, you mentioned Jackie Chan and submit a photo. Without photo shop I can take a still from one of his movies, or any other martial art movie that shows the person spinning stuff. What is going to stop people from doing that since the rules of this are mostly unattainable for the masses?

It's like poi-perazzi. *waiting for some hapless soul to get rolled over by a body guard for running down a random celeb with a set of poi screaming "Spin this!" the whole way.

Sorry but this is one competition that I really don't believe should be on here. I feel like it hasn't been thought out as to who it really applies to and I think it's too subjective to allow valid voting.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
Although I agree with most of what you said Pele, I also have to say celeb poi is more of a challenge this way. Only a handful of us may actually be able to get photos. Although I believe I will be seeking out Mr Pat Croce since I will have the opportunity in the very near future to get a pic of him swinging poi smile

https://www.patcroce.com/

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Lets make it spin pets then shall we.

Clips of poi pooches. Staffing snakes. Devilsticking iguansa and hooping snakes too wink biggrin.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I agree that determining who counts as a celebrity is incredibly difficult, however perhaps there could be something when you enter the photo to explain who it is?

Yes, I think Jackie Chan and Bette Midler are impossible, but I also think that your local mayor, or your town's best footballer doesn't count, but someone like the captain of your favourite league team should (AFL, NFL, whatever all the other Ls are in the world); even though that will need to be explained to people who don't know. But then it could be determined if they counted or not.

Written by: Pele

This isn't like drawing or a photo comp where anyone can try it, if they want to. Most who would want to do this won't be able to because you are asking for people too high end.

I actually disagree there. Not everyone can realistically try a drawing competition. My drawing ability is completely crap and realistically I have a better chance at this competition than I would a drawing one.

Believe it or not, but I think that with a little bit of effort (and manners and batting eyelashes), this is more achievable for most people than CoL.
Given the skill required for CoL (in not only poi, but filming and editing et al) I think that more people have a chance in this competition.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

Given the skill required for CoL (in not only poi, but filming and editing et al) I think that more people have a chance in this competition.

ubblol

That's funny.... hug thanks.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

What will these be used for?

Good question - and I'm not sure what the answer is! Probably they will just be visible on the website unless a particular photo lends itself to more than that - in which case we would no doubt have to check with the celeb about that.

Most of the competitions that we are running now are "just a bit of fun" - something Malcolm decided to throw out there since we have the interface capability and people seemed to enjoy the last ones. There is no grand agenda or larger purpose beyond that at this stage.

Like Rouge says, COL is quite difficult for people to enter so we are trying to make some easier competitions.

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Simon Posford signed my poi smile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
who?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: LazyAngel

who?

ubblol ubblol ubblol

The part of Shpongle that isn't Raja Ram.

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen_(musician)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Ah! ubbidea

You'd never guess I'm not a huge psytrance fan, would you? wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

The part of Shpongle that isn't Raja Ram.

I'm with you Mr Angel - if it weren't for the wikipedia post I'd be sitting here confused and thinking Gabe was all spaced out and peace ish !! ubblol ubblol

grin

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
my dad is famous in scotland, and if you're a fiddle player, everywhere. can i post a pic of him? wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: LazyAngel

You'd never guess I'm not a huge psytrance fan, would you? wink

Now one thing I never understand is why the melodic, complex, witty, rhythmically varied and altogether tending towards actual music of Shpongle ever ever gets lumped with doofdoofdoofdoofyawnscream pystrance!

confused

Some of Hallucinogen (another Posford adventure) heads that way.. but Sphongle's the OTHER stuff ubbrollsmile

Written by: georgemc

if it weren't for the wikipedia post I'd be sitting here confused and thinking Gabe was all spaced out and peace ish !! ubblol ubblol

Who me ubbloco ubblol

OK well that's it for me and celebs really. Unless you count... um... Yuta?

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Ive got pictures of Gabe spinning Poi nand she's a celeb - does that count!?
I have to say - I agree with Pele - Even though ive got a good chance of winning having trained 7 celebs Fire - im not into the 'exclusive' nature of this comp - how does it help the Poi community? No 'real' celeb is gonna be upfor having their photo used on a net site without thier consent

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
Pssst.... FireNix I have to disagree.... Although not everyone knows who Stephen Lynch is he is still pretty well known. He was all for it.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think that given you will have had to hand the celebrity the poi/staff/whatever and then get them to spin, or at least hold it as you took a photo then it would be pretty difficult to do it without consent!

And how does it not help the poi community anymore than the calendar does? There's nothing wrong with a bit of harmless fun for the sake of a bit of harmless fun.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yeah me, I'm all for it too. I'm a celeb! Woot!
I met the Dalai Lama a few times. But I couldn't get him my poi quick enough.

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
The competitions rules have changed slightly too.... It now includes impersonators. Santa Claus and elvis ^^

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Yeah, but "malcolm" impersonators probably won't cut it biggrin

grin

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
 Written by: georgemc

Yeah, but "malcolm" impersonators probably won't cut it biggrin

Thats okay because I got the real deal of a celeb wink

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Im not saying that celebs arent gonna want to swing Poi, but isnt there is an issue with copyright of their image, for a project for financial gain?

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
Nope..... if there was all those mags out there making up lies about celebs would be out of business since all their pics and stories are being sold....

90% of what is on the web about celebs is bullcrap and most celebs are not going to give it a time of day. Home of Poi is not making money on this only the Hopper that is submitting the material and even then the hopper is NOT making money but winning cool things. The Hopper is being "paid" in merchandise not cash and the hopper is not using it for their own COMMERCIAL gain! And I am using the word "Paid" very loosely.

The celebs and the photographer both have the rights to the photograph. .

The general rule of photography is.....

Written by:

Public photography is wide open

That’s the general rule. When you’re on public property (a street, sidewalk, city park, etc) you can take pictures of what you see. This means that you can also photograph private property as long as you’re not trespassing to get the shot.

And the answer to your question in full on US laws is......

Written by:

Publicity and Privacy Rights of Individuals

You may need permission to photograph people due to state laws giving individuals privacy and publicity rights.

Most states in the US recognize that individuals have a right of privacy. The right of privacy gives an individual a legal claim against someone who intrudes on the individual's physical solitude or seclusion, and against those who publicly disclose private facts. Unless you have permission, avoid publishing or distributing any photo of an individual that reveals private facts about the individual (particularly if revealing those private facts might embarrass the individual).

Almost half the states in the US recognize that individuals have a right of publicity. The right of publicity gives an individual a legal claim against one who uses the individual's name, face, image, or voice for commercial benefit without obtaining permission. In case you are wondering how the news media handle this, newspapers and news magazines have a "fair use" privilege to publish names or images in connection with reporting a newsworthy event.

Be particularly careful about celebrities. Using a photograph of a celebrity for your own commercial gain - for example, posting a photo you took of Clint Eastwood on your business's marketing material or business Web site - is asking for a lawsuit, even if you took the photograph when you ran into Clint on a public street.

The Hopper taking the picture is not posting it on a website to use for their own commercial gain. Now if I added words to the Steven Lynch pic advertising my business, then yes I would be screwed. There are things celebs have to do first before they can sue you and one of them is ask to have the picture removed from the site before they can take legal action.

But overall if a celeb agrees to the picture, then your pretty much in the clear.

Thankfully HOP is in NZ and the laws I am sure is different from the US. Overall there is nothing hoppers have to worry about, if a celeb asks for the pic to be taken down it will get taken down. Everything I just explained is also for the general public not just celebs.

I understand the worry but overall celebs have more important things to do then worry about this website. This is a contest not a marketing ploy to promote the website through the use of a celeb photo.

Page: