Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > wave 9 beats - is it possible?

Login/Join to Participate

E_a_g_l_enewbie
14 posts

Posted:
I've learned a 7 beat no wrap, and in fact it's much more easy it looks. So, is it possible to add some beats without wraps, throws and moves like "augmented wave"? Have you any information about 9-beats (or more ubbloco) no-wrap wave? is it a 7-beats motion with any body turning? or... confused

P.S. Excuse me my English. I hope you understood me =]

EDITED_BY: E_a_g_l_e (1192721423)

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
First of all I want to ask you, why? Why would you like to learn a 9 beat weave? I bet that it`s possible but would it look good, however everyone got different spinning styles and perhaps you like the really techy stuff but when it comes to what I like to play with and look the 9 beat weave wouldn`t fit into it biggrin

But that wasn`t your question, sorry. The question whas if it`s possible, for sure it`s possible but it`s not whery comfortble to do it I guess :/

Good look my spinning friend! smile hug

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
I'm sure you can find the info if you search for it. One of the regulars here (simian?) posted a vid of it quite a while ago. It's annoyingly contortionistic, not very pretty and there's not enough of a difference from other weave types of movements for it to be at all useful aside from bragging rights.

Good luck in finding the vid, you'll maybe see what I mean if you can find it. Is it really considered an "advanced" move though? contortionist definitely, but advanced? I'm thinking not.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

E_a_g_l_enewbie
14 posts

Posted:
 Written by: like my poi, my heart is on fire

why?

it's just a new move, no more. I agree, it looks (in my fantasies biggrin) like really ********* **** ****'s ******, but we haven't a lot of poisters doing 9-beats. Maybe, I want to be one of them rolleyes

Written by:

One of the regulars here (simian?) posted a vid of it quite a while ago

Oh, thanks! I'll search =)

Written by:

Good look my spinning friend!

smile

KneelSILVER Member
journeyman
80 posts

Posted:
i think u can get up to a 12 beat weave

-Niall-

Rosvallnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
It sure is possible, and when you've already learned 7 beat weave it should not be very far away.

9 beat reverse is also possible, if you understand the trick and have rather flexible arms, increasing the number of beats in weave is not very difficult... well.

As to what is possible without wraps I've heard about up to 13 beat weave... but i think you got to actually twist up your body to increase beats to that point.

Have fun practicing!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I've never seen more than 9 beats without wrapping/cheating some how - though there's a challenge there if someone wants to prove me wrong wink

Not that i think it's impossible, but there's only so many twists you can get in your arms/wrists/hands/fingers...

But again, i'd err on the side of "it looks rubbish" so haven't really bothered trying.
Reverse 7-bt turning i think looks nice in a "WTF is that" kind of way, but meh - to each their own smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Didn't Rev put out a video of an 11 beat weave somewhere? (I've never really understood beats tbh so I have no ideas on this)

D_ChowBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
wow...i never even heard of the 9 beat weave...only the 5 beat weave...which i can sorta manage to do...just not very neatly/smoothly....it would be so cool if you could find a way to do an infinite amount of beats. cool

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
You can - you just switch your poi over in your hand wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

burncatmember
30 posts

Posted:
thats right Durbs. i found a way to do it some years ago. a never ending weave, some argue its not really a weave, but who cares what its called. Its a great way to do alot of moves not possible to a spinner who dont switch hands.

never ending weave is just one of them. its a revolution from my point of view!!

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
A bit off topic but i think i saw a vid of Nick Woolsey doing an infinate weave useing the string twist method as i say not realy relevent but looked awsom.

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

Vertig0newbie
1 post

Posted:
Yes, it's possible.

Rosvallnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Vertig0

Yes, it's possible.

Aahh.. I think 9 beat weave looks awesome ubblove Thanks for posting!

E_a_g_l_enewbie
14 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Vertig0

Yes, it's possible.

Wow! thanks for posting smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
(Possible - but not attractive wink )

Burner of Toast