Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Poi Burn Offs? (Yes, I searched the threads)

Login/Join to Participate

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
All right, so aftermuch research.. I have come up with nothing. I have seen many videos of people doing burn off's with poi. I assume they wet the floor with some sort of lighter fluid, then spin low so that it can catch fire. I'm looking for instructions, and safety issues that should be put into account.

I apologize if there has been a previous thread of the such.. The closest thing I got to this was a thread made by Domino is 2004. rolleyes

I would love advice, suggestions, and safety.

Take care!

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Not sure if you're talking about floor trails or circular burnoffs. Neither use any fluid that is not on the poi. Basically, soak up and don't spin off.

If you want to make a floor trail just spin fast so the excess fuel flies off the poi and creates a trail on the ground. If you're spinning the poi fast enough the fuel does not light up. Just touch the fuel trail with the fire and it lights up and burns for a brief time.

The other is the circular burnoff. With this you spin your body in a circle with the poi held outwards, spinning with you, and slowly bring them in contact with the ground. If you're spinning yourself fast enough in a circle, then the poi will roll around the ground and the excess fuel will spin off engulfing you in a large fire circle.

Do not do the circular burnoff in winds, as it could force the fire against you. With the ground trails, you're flinging fuel out in the trajectory of the poi spin. I'm sure you can think of the safety implications of that. Luckily, fuel evaporates quickly, so it's usually not as dangerous as it could be. Both of these are dumping fuel on the ground, as an eco pointer.

Oh, and if you do not burn off well enough, then you'll likely be spitting fireballs from the poi heads afterwards, so be conscious of how much fuel is still on the poi heads after one of these is tried.

Hope that helps,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

MolochSILVER Member
Shirt-Cocker Extraordinaire
47 posts

Posted:
Ha, thats weird. no spinoff threads lol, there should be one and now there is. Hehe, as my best friend says, I like it when the universe takes care of the details for me smile

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Suibom.

The only thing is that I've seen the floor, literally, drenched in fluid, then lit. It looked beautiful the way the fire "ran" away.

But I don't think the excess fuel of poi is equivalent to the amount of fuel that was originally on the floor.

I'll look for the video, but in the mean time, I'll do some more research.

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
I find monkey fist heads and a swivel bolt great for circular burnoffs smile

KneelSILVER Member
journeyman
80 posts

Posted:
i no the burn offs ur talking about but unfortubatly dont have a clue baout them so cant help sry,but it is a really cool burn off!

-Niall-

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
ooooh *wonders off to have a go*

if i could be a busy busy bee...

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Hmm.. re-reading this, I seem to have missed an important part. Poi burnoffs (and other prop burnoffs as well) fair much better with a lower flash point fuel. In other words, it's much easier to get a proper burnoff using a naphtha fuel than it is using a paraffin fuel.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Ooh, glad I stumbled into this thread! As soon as it hits twilight I was gonna go out in the street and try both of those. My neighbors are used to seeing me do odd things, including the occaisional fire moment...but lighting pavement is a new one for them!

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Hokay question: How much gas do you need to get it to go onto the pavement? I tried the usual amount minus spinning off with no luck, then the next time I doused my poi with more gas and even less luck. What am I missing here?

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Add more water wink

"gas" - I hope you mean white gas, and not petrol.... right? umm

I think its a case of having fuel on your wicks, not spinning off, then spinning round slowly, let the poi touch the ground, then speed up how fast you are spinning whilst keeping the poi in contact with the ground biggrin

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
Yes, definitely need a low flashpoint fuel like Naptha AKA whitegas AKA colemans camp fuel. There's three general types of motion that are going to let you get a burn off with poi. Speed (or spin if you like), bouncing, and jerking. No matter what kind of overall motion you are doing, its one of these specific categories that leads to the burn off, or combinations of them.

Examples:
Speed(spin): Stand still and spin both poi in wheel plane very fast. Essentially you are using centrifugal force to fling the fuel off of the poi. Obviously just spinning wicked fast would throw fuel up into the air as well so be careful. Its best to combine this with a jerk as the poi pass the bottom so the fuel is focused more to the ground. This usually will make a long line (or pair). I often call this kind of burn off a "Back to the Future". If you've ever seen the movie then you'll know what i mean.

Bounce: Extend your arms straight out (either both in front or out to each side) and crouch or lean over so your hands are somewhat close to the ground. Spin around and as you do make sure the poi heads are close to the ground, due to your spinning they should tend to pull away from you. Let the heads bounce/tumble along the ground as you spin. This creates a nice lil circle of fire. The faster you spin the thicker the circle will be due to some of the fuel flinging off past the heads. Mostly the heads bouncing/rolling on the ground causes the fuel to transfer

Jerking: Simply fling or spin the poi and pull back against them hard. Simple version... start a single circle and as the poi are about to point down jerk up on the chains fast, this causes the fuel to fling off in one spurt, usually makes a short line.

There are of course many combinations of the above, and of course you can move yourself around as you do any of the above to get different effects. One of my favorite burnoffs to do is a square, or diamond depending on the angles... There's a couple different ways to do this, i tend to prefer the harder way.

Easy way: do a jerk style spin off in wheel plane, turn 90 degrees and do another. You just drew a square on the ground. It's easy to do, but not terribly exciting in my opinion...

Harder way: look down and imagine a square or diamond (playing card style diamond which is essentially a square that is compressed along a line drawn from opposite corners). You are going to draw 2 adjoining sides at once, essentially making a corner. So the first part is to do a jerk burnoff with the poi at about a 90 degree or less angle from each other with the point aiming away from you. Depending on fuel levels, skill levels, and other factors you will either make a nice point, or an x (don't worry, either way is cool). Then, after the one spin, stall the poi and make the back corner. Don't turn your body, instead face the same way and do another single jerk burnoff so the poi are at a 90 degree or less angle pointing behind you. When done nicely its a showy lil move, lights up the ground and has a nice look to it. You can then (if you have enough loose fuel) do some other shape or motion or just redraw the square/diamond.

Another cool one to do is start with a circular (bouncing) burnoff. Then stand up and do a speed/spin burnoff.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
I use white gas since I'm not particularly interested in fully blowing myself up.

I tried both the speed spin and bounce ideas with no luck from either. I REALLY want to get this before the weekend to have a good new trick or two up my sleeve. About how much fuel do I need on my poi? Do they have to be like, dripping?

Proudly MCRmy

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
I soak my poi till they stop bubbling, then I hold them above the can till the unassisted dripping stops. Give em a little shake/jiggle or two just to dislodge any really loose fuel then go do the burn off.

What kind of poi heads are you using? some work better for the burn off than others though really they should all do it.

When you say no luck do you mean that NO fuel transferred to the ground or that very little did or what?

If you do the speed spin sometimes you can go so fast it'll fling the fuel off the heads without being lit then you can touch your heads to the ground to light the trail.

This is probably fairly obvious but just to cover any remaining options out there... you do know to light the poi THEN go try and do the burn off? not spin poi on ground to soak it then light up right? (though you can definitely do this on pavement and such but need to be somewhat quick to avoid as much time for evaporation as possible.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"I soak my poi till they stop bubbling, then I hold them above the can till the unassisted dripping stops. Give em a little shake/jiggle or two just to dislodge any really loose fuel then go do the burn off."

Yep smile Totally agree with that.

"What kind of poi heads are you using? some work better for the burn off than others though really they should all do it."

I do them with my tube cores nicely. Monkey fists should also work well. Not sure on cathedrals wether or not the corners would slow down the speed, or whether it would make it better as fuel is "bumped" out? umm

Usually when I do it, the poi set the parafin on fire as soon as it first hits the ground, leaving a burning trail in a "Back to the Future" sty-lee smile

Fireina - What chains are you using? I think that ball chain would have distinct advantage in that they can spin without coiling up smile Things like oval link or wire wouldn't be nearly as good.

jaikonewbie
19 posts

Posted:
i have tried doing a air wrap burn off. it is very dangerous though as you get a fire ball right next to your body. i have burnt myself doing this one! so please be careful

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
How does an airwrap burn off work? umm

Do you not just get coated in fuel?

ugoAgogoBRONZE Member
112 posts

Posted:
^^^Dito on the airwrap burnoff>?^^^

sounds a bit sketchy. . . fireball infront of your nose style?

First time i saw a circular burnoff was watching UCOF spin at a party in kent, the ground was dried out grass, and i thought it was rather impressive!

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. . . . . . . . . . . . . ZAP

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
UCOF, Cathedral heads seem to me to work best for the bump type burnoff. And yea its because of the corners, they help the poi to bounce more and dislodge more of the loose fuel. I also have a set of hybrid heads a friend made for me that work REALLY well for this because of their fuel capacity. Basically they are kevlar boxes stuffed with cotton.

The back to the future style burn off is really excellent if you can get a line of fuel laid down without lighting it up by spinning super fast (white gas works best for this). You just spin wheel plane wicked fast and walk forward or backward, when you've gone far enough I just do a double forward stall to touch the line and ZOOM off goes the fire line. Always gets a "ooooohhhh" from the crowd

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
@ Imbalance and Control:
So am I understanding it correctly that I need to DUNK my poi in fuel rather than my usual "squirt 'em with a sports bottle" technique? So it appears my problem was despite fully soaking them with a squirt bottle, I was not allowing them to get soaked enough.

As for my poi heads, I use cathedral style and my chains are those kind of like half-twisted ovalish looking things. However, I have swivels on them that stop the twisting/tangling issues.

Sooo...I know what I'm trying tonight!

Proudly MCRmy

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Good luck!

(Id also just call me "Ucof", you'll see why sooner or later smile )

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I think someone should do a video on this one as its a very complicated issue to disscuss would make pleasent viewing as well *hint* *hint* *smiles nicely and does puppy dog eyes*

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Theres a clip in one of my videos.
I wont tell you which one, or where it can be found.
But im 90% its out there on t'internet.

(If my web hosts werent such idiots, Id link it now)

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
lol okay i shall have a sneak about are u in wales UK UCOF?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yes Wales Uk.
NOT New South Wales (Australia)

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
ah cool lol.... live kinda nearrish in the grand scale of things to me/