Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Can we name this move? (bf anti-poly flower)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah so, poi are splittime butterfly, one hand does a logarm circle whilst the other follows it doing a tri-foil antispin.

Its a great move and i would like to call it something better than bf anti-poly flower. and its not really a flower...

sugestions?

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
yeah, i know the one you mean, i think, not totally sure what you mean by 'tri-foil'? I'm assuming you don't just mean 3 petals to the flower? as I know you know it can be done with more.

A few people have just been calling it a butterfly hybrid but that isn't accurate enough.

I've been trying to learn it spinning the other way for ages so I can do the rapid switch to it as it looks amazing.

there's another butterfly antispin trick I'd like a name for, where they go one arm above the other and move rapidly to the other side of the body, then switch and move back, the visual effect is a vertical bar (made of the poi going head to head in a line) swapping sides.

I've seen it before at least once or twice, but G was doing it very cleanly at Southern Lights.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
yakumo, they sound like split time butterfly antispin flowers.

Lovely move. I forgot I could do that. thanks.

Nx, could it be some kind of butterfly fountain?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
mm, butterfly fountain works well actually, as all your doing is a circle with your arms, the effect is technically then natural from just that motion, it just takes practice to not collide, and get the timing right for the pace of the long arm, and keep the antispin clean.

I've heard the term before though, are there other butterfly fountains I've missed somehow?

PS. Bummed to hear you're not going to be able to be at PLaY LTC frown

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
as for the other move I asked about, how about sweeps, or etch-a-scetch ? (it's like the blanking wipe some had instead of having to shake)

sandy and oli were doing it with double horizontal stalls too.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, tri-foil is three petals, it can be done with more but three is the natural number for the polyrythum.

it could be butterfly fountain, but thats another move where both poi make multiple beats, it dosnt really express the longarm element. Besides fountain is a very specific thing (I only found out recently what it really was).

I have no idea what movew you are onaabout yakomo, but the rapid switch is a question of having your splittime bang on at the bottom when you make your swich... I have thease turning now cool

T wave

-><- Kallisti

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
No way is this anything to do with a fountain - so you can leave that idea right now ubblol

*mutter mutter mutter*

I think it is most often called a hybrid b/f flower, as opposed to a poly-rhythm flower (as this could be done in several different ways) - being that it is hybrid; one long arm, one isolated (as the antispin contains an isolation), moreover it also shares the hands-together-ness you get with weave hybrids.

And it's a flower, as it has petals, albeit only with one hand...

God, it's too early for such technical ramblings...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
that's funny... I was always told that antispin contains no isolation...

which would make the hybrid part obsolete.

When you do a butterfly buzzsaw fountain, one poi automatically spins antispin whilst the other spins normal spin. you don't mention the word antispin in the name of that move...

I don't believe there's a hybrid in there at all.

It is definately butterfly poly rhythm... but poly rhythm what?

Circle? :s

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
yeah, I was wondering about 'The Fountain', as I've seen the club swingers get reaaaaaaally heavily into the arguments on it. I wasn't aware it would be so picked over if it was an 'X/Y Fountain' though.

hybrid - depends if people think hybrid in plain English terms (composite of two or more things) or if spinners insist in skill toy terms it has to contain one isolated part.

I need to find a video ref clip for the other move I was asking about to show, but I really don't know any off hand,need oli/sandy or G to get busy with a camera, but that seems unlikely, slackers smile

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
ooo, sad thing is the visual effects going to be of an atom isn't it? antispin within a plain circle, but that's already taken.

So how about a 'butterfly atom'?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Lets call it Geoff.
smile

(You mean this move dont you?)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
UCoF: Almost, but not quite. your arms are splitime, but in this one, the hands are together.

Durbs does it nicely in his patio video.
Yakumo, for a video of the one you mean, I believe lazyangel does it nicely in a video too... and Meenick does it quite often.

Be Water My Friend.

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Antispin vs longarm? - one arm doing antispin flower whilst one arm does long arm circles - or am I thinking of something totally different. Either way I hav'nt managed to pull it off yet ubblol Seen Guy (Lazyangel) do it though and it looks looovely.

Vid would be nice to clarify biggrin

On the subject of tri-foils, can anyone do opposite tri-foil antispin flowers (making a 6 point flower from audience perspective), was trying to work out if it was possible biggrin

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
My vid that Ed is talking about is currently offline, I believe.

I think the best vid examples of this move (learning wise) have come from Durbs patio spin and maybe Garthy's xmas vid? also maybe in one or two of meenik's more recentish vids (beautiful thing about ashes/maybe the vid with yuta) but I'm not sure on that

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
In wallplane then? umm

Hands together, going round in a cirle together, poi in butterfly RESULTING IN: one poi 1 petal flower (a circle!) and the other 3 petal anti spun?

That right then?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
that is indeed correct.

smile

Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I cant picture it and have no idea what you are talking about.
Who are you anyway?

confused

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Motley

On the subject of tri-foils, can anyone do opposite tri-foil antispin flowers (making a 6 point flower from audience perspective), was trying to work out if it was possible biggrin

yup cool its possible, and very hard smile

T wave

-><- Kallisti

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Warning. The monkey is feeling argumentative. This in no way reduces the validity of his opinions, but it does mean he may use hyperbolic language in a way that could be deemed offensive by GODDAM HIPPIES.

Soooooo this move is a hybrid?
hybrid in the sense in that your hands are doing "different things"????????????
W T F?
Please inform me of a move that isn't hybrid.
That is the most monumentally IDIOTIC form of nomenclature i have ever encountered.

Ed - an antispin pattern doesn't necessarily contain isolation, but an antispin pattern can also be isolated, in a few different ways.

TommyNx - what do you mean by split time in this context?

All - Surely this move should be named as part of a family that deals with the effects of moving the common centre of direction of two opposite direction poi. (a la RobbieBluecat's brownian motion butterfly - a kind of ordered butterfly heisenberg)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: {Nx?}

Written by: Motley

yup cool its possible, and very hard smile

i do em in crosser tongue

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I think Motley means in Wheelchairplane, not wall plane.... I think...

tongue

If you can do those, crossed, in wallplane, I'll eat the first fat person I see.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

Ed - an antispin pattern doesn't necessarily contain isolation, but an antispin pattern can also be isolated, in a few different ways.

But in this move, I fail to see the isolation. Surely if the antispun poi was isolated, the outside circle would become irregular (is that the right word?)

therefore, no isolation = no hybrid in my opinion.

Be Water My Friend.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

i'd call it a hybrid wink caus i like the idea of driving style hybrids.

but very specifically i'd call it a garthy hybrid (cause it was him i saw doing them first) - i totally agree with Simian that to call anything that has two hands doing different things a hybrid is a bit too silly. but this was discussed at length on tribes, and hybrids have been fairly well defined now....

i wish i knew what my brownian motion butterfly was....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
goodness. very limiting there, aren't you, mr ed.....?

ubblol

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I thought, when this move was discussed several months ago ( wink ) there was a nice side discussion on why the antispin in this pattern is isolated...
Meh, do a search, it's all there somewhere.

Ed, as per usual, is wrong (just in general).

Wallplane hybrid butterfly flower, with optional polyrhythm?

To argue with Monkey, which is always fun, "Surely this move should be named as part of a family that deals with the effects of moving the common centre of direction of two opposite direction poi"
you'd need to add "in the same direction"
So...on previous nomenclature...this move would be a Goofy Polyrhythm Hybrid Butterfly Flower

Or just "goofy hybrid" as a move genre wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

i wish i knew what my brownian motion butterfly was....

when you do a butterfly then whang your hands around in loads of different directions while keeping your hands together.
you were doing it lots at the BJC smile

Written by: drubs

To argue with Monkey, which is always fun, "Surely this move should be named as part of a family that deals with the effects of moving the common centre of direction of two opposite direction poi"
you'd need to add "in the same direction"

no, that would be redundant, as i clearly said "common centre of direction" as opposed to "their two distinct centres of direction"
what you should have argued was that i accidentally said "centre of direction" rather than "centre of rotation" tongue

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Fun though the accurately describe the action game is smile I think [Nx?]'s idea (and my hope too) was to give it a nice short name, as it is a fairly identifiable trick (and long names scare the crap out of people, and breaking it into a definition doesn't actually help picture it for most people, we you want to call the 3 beat weave 'split time wall plane 3 beat alternating crossovers' or something ? smile

Any more thoughts on that?
(neither this move or the one I was hoping for a name for are in garthy's xmas vid sadly, I just checked)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
splitime means what it always ment, a butterfly whos poi meet at the sides rather than top and bottom.

at present, this is a splitime poly-rythum, sounds crazy but it just means at the point there the poi hit the same beat they are doing split-time. Im not sure if it can be done bf, I think the trifoil would start in a diffrent place if so...

Atomic butterfly is definatly wrong, and an oxymoron biggrin

T wave

-><- Kallisti

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: YUkumo

I think [Nx?]'s idea (and my hope too) was to give it a nice short name

Call it Geoff! tongue

3,149 posts

Posted:
"the mercedes badge"?

although thats also what i call the version of it with arms going in opposite directions, rather than staying together.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
'the mercedes' is a great name, but i will have to learn to spell it. ubblol

-><- Kallisti

Page: