Forums > Social Chat > Weird Things You Believed as a Kid

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Remember when you were a little tacker and you believed some crazy things?

Like when I was a kid I thought that if whales were so big, how did they fit in the ocean?

so! C'mon people! What weird things did you believe?

ubbrollsmile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Teachers lived in the cupboards at school.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ha! great!

I used to think that teachers knew EVERYTHING! otherwise how else could they teach?

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
That hiding under the covers would provide an impenetrable protection against anything an everything!

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Santa Claus ubblol

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
that the universe was too big for one big bang to have created it, it would need a big bang for each galaxy.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
That's quite advanced for a kid - much more than thinking that Humpty Dumpty was a watermelon in any case.

Oh! And that my sister and I are twins because we have the same hair solour - despite the 20 month difference in age ubblol

Kupo!

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
that i would get sucked into the escalator if i didn't jump off at the end! eek i actually had nightmares about this one!!

& i also believed that cruise control in the car actually drove the car!! not just kept it to a certain speed, but steered it & everything! ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
I had a strange belief that if I didn't say goodnight to certain things in our lounge room as i closed the curtains each night they would follow me into my room and eat me.
ubblol

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
smile yea i thought the covers gave oerfect protection to, but i also had an army of teddies that kept me safe while i was asleep...

i also though the horizon at the beach was where the ocean went up into the sky which is why they were both blue.

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
I also believed that if I hid in amongst my teddies, my parents would actually mistake me for a teddie too!

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
My parents DID mistake me for a teddy once frown

Kupo!

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
That my grany was a witch; she had a proper woodedn broom and would always tel us she was going to fly off on it after we went to bed.. I didn't question it for years smile

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by jo_rhymes

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
Tha girls were icky an if they kissed ou you'd die from cooties.

.....that isn't really true is it?
*panics an fumbles for the cooties jab*

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
When we were little, my brother took a stick, and stuck it into the ground in our garden. About 2 weeks later, in a competely unrelated incident, my father bought a new apple tree and planted it in or near the same spot.

For many years we believed that the stick had grown up into a tree, and couldn't understand why none of the other sticks that we "planted" wouldn't.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I had the escalator thing too

if i sucked in my stomach hard enough it would go behind and be on my back

rainbow brite and ernie were trying to kill me

if i was under the covers no one could see me

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
that the orange street lights were actually baked beans

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
that all dogs were boys and all cats were girls.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: shocked_prawn

smile yea i thought the covers gave oerfect protection to, but i also had an army of teddies that kept me safe while i was asleep...

no way! there's snakes at the end of your bed underneath the covers and if you don't wear socks to bed they will chew your toes!!

there was also definately something under the bed, so once your toes get bitten, it was definately not a good idea to put your feet down. However it had a limited reach range, so being on the top bunk meant you could jump off the ladder away from the bed as you were getting down...

Also, i don't know if anyone else knows this but it is extremely important to hold your breath when you go past graveyards or else you will breathe in all the ghosts. If it's a particulary large cemetery and breathing becomes necessary, you'll be fine if you cross your fingers (as many times as possible, that is both hands and toes, but criss-crossing shoelaces also counts) (must be done in even numbers only, until i realised that odd numbers actually cancelled out the good/badness of the last crossed thing with more positive results, i.e. 1 good, 2 cancels it out, 2 good, 4 cancels it out etc...)

Having said all the above might not apply to the average kid as i am in fact an alien from a distant galaxy and probably there are certain things out to get me, that wouldn't bother with anyone else...

i think that's normal though.

The thing about the even numbers (and then odd numbers) which applied to a lot more than finger crossing... well that was probably an early bout of obsessive compulsive disorder...

wooo... why pay for a psychiatrist when you can use HoP?!

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
haha! I did the graveyard one too!!

And when you cross train tracks in the car, you need to lift your feet off the floor and hold your breath there too!!

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
I had to hold my breath going over bridges or the trolls would hear me.

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
My sister made me believe that there was crocodiles under the bed at night time and they would eat you if you had to get out of bed at any time during the night.

The escalator thing was a belief of mine too.

Ohhh and if I killed any type of insect the family would gather an army and attack me in the middle of the night.

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
You can't breathe going through a road tunnel.. I still hold my breath most of the time, unless I'm driving and there's someone else in the car.

Nearly passed out in the Mersey Tunnel a few times as a kid.

One of my aunts used to belive that an Oxo cube contained an entire condensed cow..
They're a make of stock cubes, for anyone from a country they don't sell 'em..

I also firmly belived I had once levitated up to the ceiling, and used to stand in the room with one arm raised concentrating reeeeeaaallly hard... plus there was an extra door downstairs between the cupboard and the bathroom, with a light behind that I saw one night..

Oh, and my whole school belived that a creepy big old house at the end of the road had a crashed fighter plane in the garden- then a month or so before I left I had to go round there once, and there actually was! I saw it! But nobody would believe me..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

cinderella456newbie
22 posts

Posted:
i believed that if i ran at the back of my wardrobe hard enough i could force my way into narnia, my mum had to sit me down and explain that you can't get there through any old wardrobe, it has to be a magic one. so everytime i went round to other people's houses i would try in their wardrobes too.

i also belived if i ate smarties in the wrong order something terrible would happen to my family or friends. i still kinda have that one, though it just becomes a very bad feeling now instead of me being convinced my house will burn down.

and if i make a den outside with my mum's clean washing, not only will she not mind but she won't be able to see the den either.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
omg! that thing about Narnia is adorable! ubblove

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I never had a wardrobe frown

I thought you had to hold your breath past cemeteries or evil and/or unrested spirits would come into you

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

BrieveBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
For awhile my sister had me thinking I was a baby kandaroo that had been transformed (My name is Joseph EI Joey)

That ramping a Bike off a ramp made out of a couple of bricks and piece of wood. in the middle of the road was a good Idea.

That we could derail a train if we put enough stones on the tracks... Oh wait you can do that. Wonder why we:
A. Never got ran over by said train
B. Never made a train derail...

If I listened really hard I could understand my dog. (Not many human friends that far out in the country)

That Bag worms (https://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef440.asp) would attack you and get under your skin and kill you if you got to close to them.

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Big fat brown birds were out to get me - so far so good, but....

they were out to get me in my bedroom!!! And...

they were going to come in through the walls!!

There were these tiny little lumps under the wallpaper, and I was convinced it was the points of their beaks, they were just poised to come in.

Also, there was occasionally 'something' behind my curtains

Luckily, my duvet also offered adequate protection, against both birds and curtain-beasts....

You know, I can't think of any fun things I believed! And a lot of the other ones posted seem to revolve around fears as well... do we just remember them better or did we not really believe the good stuff?

everyone's unique except me

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
I was told a lot of wierd things as a kid, but this one stuck out.

Me (aged 8 years): Mummy, how do brains work?

Mum: Well, normal people's brains work like a straight line. But some people - crazy people - have brains that work in loops.

My sister (aged 6 years): But mummy, my brains works in loops!

Mum: Well then, you must be crazy.

I also had a pretty bizarre understanding of how someone got HIV. My parents told me all about AIDS and HEP C, and when i asked them how you got it, mum just said "well, you only get it if you do really bad things" (obviously not wanting to go into detail about sex or drugs). So i took this to mean that if you're naughty, you get these diseases, so i was really worried that i'd just get them like magic, for doing anything 'naughty'.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
I believed that 100 was the biggest possible number you could get, and i also believed that the pool cleaner would suck me up...

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

Page: