Forums > Social Chat > Masculine or Feminine?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
I was discussing this topic this morning with Josh. And I thought I'd ask you people what you think.Do you think males twirl in a more masculine way then females? As in a more fast and more move orientated way?I have found that females tend to go a lot slower, and are more "flowy??" focused then males. *although "flowy" is not really the word I am looking for, as it can mean something different to all of us and I have see males that I would regard a flowy..*?..However then I realised that I really have only seen females' poi. There are not that many males out there that I have seen who poi, most males use the staff. Not that I have seen that many people twirl, as SA is pretty crap for twirlers. I am looking forward to going to Byron to see if I cansee some more Poi people in action smile and more firetwirlers for that matter.I am trying to work out if poi-ing seen as more feminine and therefore females tend to take it up more? What is it about poi-ing that appeals to females more then the staff?And has anyone else seen a difference in the way males poi to females?~*~Katinca~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I deliberately try to spin fairly slowly, because I think it looks much, much better.
I suppose it's just that different people have different styles, same as dancing. Out of the few people I've seen spin, the sex of the spinner has no bearing on how they spin. Actually, the only person I know who can't spin slowly is a girl - even when she starts off slowly, she's back up to top speed within a few beats.

I've never thought of poi and a female thing while spinning a staff is a male thing - that's probably something to do with not seeing any girls spinning for ages after I started

One thing I'm definately sure of though - girls look very sexy while spinning

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
My girl does anyhoo. can't vouch for any others.

Meh

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
I've noticed that (not always but alot of the time) Guys seem to be more into technique and girls into the dance of it with their whole body.... which would make a guy look more masculine...focussed, structured, strong movements.... and girls more feminine with flowing, graceful dancey movements... I don't know... just a thought

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I think that it not something you can generalise...
If you take people like Glass and Dom who are both amazing poi people but are men... They make it look so easy and since they are both tall and long limbed they can bend in ways to make the pois do 'sick' tricks... So I dont think there is a gender preference although I think women look more 'in their element' than men with poi...

I personally am better at poi than at staff but thats only because I was introduced to poi first...
I LOVE STAFF! There is no way that I am going back! I love the way it moves and the way it feels. Now I am going to try and conquer double staffing!

I have seen equal ammounts of poi/staffers of both sexes and the only thing I can say is that men are more likely to go for the 'its gonna hurt so bad if they hit me' appoach... They tend to go really fast with staff but again I have also seen girls do this and sometimes I myself like putting a little power into the move.

Much love to all, Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

NightRunnermember
20 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Katinca:
However then I realised that I really have only seen females' poi. There are not that many males out there that I have seen who poi
I am soooo jealous. I would have to say, here in Colorado, that about 9-10 guys spin poi for every girl that spins. The fire ratio is even worse.
Where are you, sexy fire swinger of my dreams? I'm waiting...

Non-Https Image Link

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Kehehehe....

I'm going to totally disagree with myself... I think I'm just remembering different people now that I think of it more...

I've actually seen heaps of guys that look very flowy, smooth and dancey and flitter about like fairies when they twirl and also women who are very strong with their movements.... So I think more my point was that a "masculine" twirler (man or woman) perhaps cosentrates more on technique or holds alot of strength with their twirling style... and a feminine twirler (man or woman) perhaps is more focussed on the dance/spirit ellement and perhaps stitely more light footed/flowy/bubley/floaty/graceful....

or something?

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I dance Elke. I'm not a very technical spinner. I can't do that much with poi. I can't or don't do anything very fancy with staffs.

I got all my staff moves out of this little orange book. The emphasis in there seemed to be more on the flow of it all than the technicality - although maybe that's just my interpretation - I spin from within. And do what seems to feel right for that moment.

Even if it doesn't look good to the outside observer - which i don't think it does or else mr PK would've filmed me and put me on his site.....

Meh

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
In my most honest and strait forward humble opinoin.... Chicks do more of a dance than alot of the males I have seen, honestly I cant dance to save my arse so basically I go out spin what I know and let the fire take me. I spin for myself and not for a show or a few passerbys. If I had to spin for someone I wouldnt know what to do hehe.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
NightRunner, what an adorable animation!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
BUMP

Meh

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
It's pretty split amongst the people i see here. Just as examples: Doug is fairly flowy, Andrew's is what i usually describe as an "oop ack ugga bugga" kind of style, PonyGirl is fast and strong, Sarah is half bellydancing as she spins...
I think it's more a reflection of personality than of gender...
It also seems to be about even men/women doing poi and doing staff, but i've only ever seen women do fire fingers (which, if you haven't tried them, are harder than they look! ) A few weeks ago, two couples showed up whom i haven't seen before or since, and each pair did some duet spinning. One couple spun with him on poi, her on staff, and WOW was it sexy! They were wrapping all over each other, very slinky and intimate. I liked the energy balance, i think of the staff as Yang/masculine (linear, and, well, just look at it for petesake!) and the poi as Yin/feminine (they're round and the motions are all curves) in and of themselves, rather than by how they're spun or who's spinning them...

[ 07 August 2002, 16:55: Message edited by: Jade Lynx ]

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

LetumLuxSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
Bump.

Also, I have noticed that every male I saw ever pick up poi (lie: -1 male) spun uber fast. Even the one who had spun poi as a kid. I'm not entirely sure what is it about, but B explained it as an effort to not beam his own set of "poi". This didn't make sense to me, really, considering the extra force that would be inflicted if/when he got a groin shot on him, but eh. ::Shrug:: I never saw a large amount of females who picked up poi attempt to go Mach 5 immediately like I did majority of males who first picked them up.

It's quite possible there are gender differences that give females more intrinsic potential with poi, sort of like with females and piloting jets, but that's only potential, not the skill. I've seen about equal number of the genders with both staff and poi, but it always seems as if males in other area favor staff, and females, poi. Maybe it's because females are supposed to be better with multitasking, as a gender, and can keep track of the seperate poi better. If I believe that, it's only partial. Granted, all of this is for more modern, non-traditional spinners. Heheh.

My explaination for males favoring the staff?

FLAMING PHALLIC SYMBOL.

Bwuahaha.

There really is no explanation for this painful phenomenon. I passed out cold. Then I died. - Ach Mein Gott, issue 1.

The lurker formerly known as LollipopSpider.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I am so glad this thread got bumped. It goes way way back.

I recently had this discussion with a friend after seeing an amazing male club spinner. I think it started with the comment "boys aren't supposed to be that graceful". I have come across some beautiful, lithe, graceful and very masculine spinners in my time, but for some reason I still seem to be surprised by it.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

LetumLuxSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
Males, by their very design, aren't generally what is thought of when the words associated with sine and grace come into play. Males were designed with strength in mind, and as a gender, don't have as many curves. While the male performers of Cirque du Soleil (and other, un-affiliated persons) fly in the face of that, agility and the endurance to do the more abjectful graceful things usually come more naturally or easily to females. Estrogen, baby.

Not to say males can't or don't have grace, it's just not always the same sort of grace as females'. Because they're males, obviously. While the twisting, stretching dance of a female with poi (which also twist and curve in feminine ways.. hm.) is beautiful regardless of the person's style, it's the sort of "expected" grace and beauty thereof, I think. The grace of a male with a fire staff, with or without fire, or with any other object of spinning goodness, is different. And perhaps because of that, not always immediately apparent, and often becoming so with a nice bit of "whoa."

Females in general are sexy, poi or not. But man.. a male in a lion cloth, spinning a flaming staff, all painted in sweat, inks, and... oh, I'm sorry, what? erm... I think I had a blunt, if not a point, but I forgot it... eheh.. rmm.. how's the weather over here, Rozi?

There really is no explanation for this painful phenomenon. I passed out cold. Then I died. - Ach Mein Gott, issue 1.

The lurker formerly known as LollipopSpider.

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
i have seen guys that do poi, but like everyone else has been saying- it seems that it is a majority chick thing...but there are quite a few guys who do it...though as for staff i've met three chicks that do staff..thats it...and it seems that fire breathing is a male dominated fire practice also...but baton/fan/fingerstaff/devil sticks...all seem to be chick majoritied...(sigh) its just the ways things are eh... ubbloco

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Wow Cantus, how do you find the old stuff?

zwitterionSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
Different styles aside, I think anatomy has a lot to do with it; women have hips and seem to know how to move them, making that their center of movement, making their dancing more balanced and sinuous, whereas men have that upper-body orientation that comes with narrower hips, broader shoulders, and the rigid posture we learn to assume. Just a generalisation but i think it holds.

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Very interesting thread, I have wondered a few times whilst spinning in front of an audience....

Poi did start off as training for Maori warriors, in order to give them the flexibility and strength in the wrists to use the traditional weapons.
However, traditional poi has now been pretty much handed over to women which is why (especially in New Zealand I have found) it tends to be seen as feminine.

Not sure about the flowy-ness though - I like dancing despite being a very straight male, and therefore I try and get as much fluidity and movement (loads of turns they're so fun!) into my spinning whilst still keeping the same masculine speed and sometimes agression and technicality... although I'm not yet good enough to do anything most HoPpers would call 'technical'!

I can't really say much based on evidence though as the only female spinners (of contemporary poi) I've seen were on COL4, I've never seen any in real life! But I want too, so any female spinners near Aukland give me a shout and prove you exist outside of HoPworld!

biggrin

Page: