Page:
alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
the new "no smoking" laws........

bad news people, this WILL affect festivals from 1st of july!!!!!!!!!

As the new laws states, any tempory or permanant structures, encompasing an enclosed space will be subject to the new anti smoking laws.

such to say, at a fetival, any marqueee consisting of a roof structure and side skirts is to be non smoking.

to comply with said new laws, such structures must comply, and in doing so........ any permanant or tempory structures MUST either......

A) only be a roofed structure

B) consist of a roof and one wall

for any marqee or tent hire company this means, that if such a stucture is hired only the roof can be erected, that means NO side skirts what so ever as that would concist as an "enclosed space"

This means that any bed and breakfast, hotel, hostel, commercial vehicle, home office, tent or marquee etc. from the 1st of july will be subject to such laws and prosicutable under such laws to the key of £2500.

this is bad news for any future event from july 1st 2007 onwards

god bless tony blair an his legacey frown

EDITED_BY: ravehead (1177367266)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Fantastic! I cant wait! bounce

Even though I am a sp1ff smoker only, I dont like sitting around people who dont smoke, forcing them to breathe my second hand smoke. Even now at home, I go outside to smoke so skully doesnt have to breathe my fumes in. Even though she does when I fart though. tongue

Im very happy about this new law, its already in place in Wales where I live.

Then again Rave, at a festival, asrent you supposed to be outside.. where you can smoke? umm

If its raining...tough luck. You have to chose between smoking, or getting wet.
Alternativly.. buy an umberella. ubbidea

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
man.....from my experience from the festivals in scotland over the last year or so, with the smoking ban, also being a steward at the skye fest, at the start of the weekend they will come up if they spot you and tell you to go outside, but by the end of the weekend its pretty hopeless, and youd get so fed up of asking folk...

Plus in bigger festivals its almost impossible to get every single person thats smoking to stop or go outside. Because its technically outdoors its not as bad as smoking inside, because there is still fresh air moving in tents/marquees..

You know yourself lots of folk get messed up at festivals, theyre not going to think twice about sparking up inside...but then some folk would comply and some wouldnt.

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
cheers for your input, i want more though!!!

the way things are going is that they want "no smoking" at all on site period!

this encompases prisons, work places and festivals.

for a tent holder or marquee hire company involves putting their livelyhood at risk!!!

a tent or marquee without side skirts in high winds ends up a kite!

any wind getting under such a structure will shred it to tatters in seconds.

i'v read the "exemptions" clause and it in no way covers this eventuality.

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
Very, very true. hug It's easy to get away with smoking inside the tents at festivals because there's so many people there, but to be fair, from what I noticed last year at the Scottish festivals, most people were good about it and went outside anyway.

Now, I'm a smoker, but I agree with UCoF. It's unreasonable to expect other people to be happy about breathing in the second hand fumes from my tobacco. The air doesn't really move all that well in tents at all (large space:tiny door ratio - why it gets so blimmin' hot in them), and the smoke can just build up and be horrid for others. It's about as pleasant for non-smokers as it is for a vegetarian to be forced into eating meat...yuck. ubblol

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

926 posts

Posted:
i'm a non smoker now biggrin (despite the relapses..... ubblol)...it probably would bother me. But Chelle there was still a fair number of smokers... and we were rolling up inside too right in front of security....

ravehead, up here there is no smoking at work period, outside only. Even if you get a wroker round to the house plumber or whatever you cant smoke inside while theyre working. On the other side of it, you're not allowed to smoke in your work van..

I cant see it stopping completely at festvials. Fair enough in tents that might happen fully in the next few years, after taking a while for it to settle in. But they cant expect you not to smoke outside at all surely...

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
so are you going to put a blanket wde ban on ALL reggae tents???

for *expetive* sake, you go to ANY festival and walk past the reggae tent all you can smell is weed!!!!

i'm all for non smoking places but surely we should have the freedom of choice and not draconian mandates forced upon us???

if you attend a festival you should expect people will be smoking, and i'm NOT meaning smoiking the herb in general.

what ever happened to "freedom of choice????"

i respect other peoples choces NOT to inhail secondary smoke, but ialso see other peoples "freedom of choice"

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Loads of people I know are giving up smoking when the ban takes affect. The places they normally smoke in are pubs. I think the law is a good idea, but I plan to give up pubs when the ban comes in.

eek You can still smoke in your own house though right???

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I work in hospitality. So bars and pubs. We have the sameish laws here as of july. I'm defintely in favor.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

i'm all for non smoking places but surely we should have the freedom of choice and not draconian mandates forced upon us???

what ever happened to "freedom of choice????"

i respect other peoples choces NOT to inhail secondary smoke, but ialso see other peoples "freedom of choice"

So all people who don't want to inhale 2nd hand smoke should go outside and not see the bands they like because you want your "freedom of choice" to smoke inside? confused I really think you aught to get a slightly better argument than that dear sir.

You're still allowed to smoke outside (where the smoke rises away from peoples respiratory system) but not in, because it sinks and pollutes the environment for everyone else. I repeat myself - I DO smoke cigarettes (and more than "the odd" spliff biggrin), but I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask me to take it outside so others aren't forced into breathing in the pollutants. To not think it's reasonable is quite selfish I think.

And yes Clavey, we did. (but may I add - only spliffs. I kept going out the doors for a ciggy) biggrin hug But I still think that the non-smoking ban is a good thing, particularly in the UK where heart disease, respiratory disease and cancer are so rife (it'd sure make my job a lot easier ubblol). I don't believe it's Draconian politics either. I think the whole idea is to make the nation and it's inhabitants slightly more considerate towards the wellbeing of others. No-one's forcing you to quit smoking anything. Just not to enforce it upon others.

And about time too. peace

(and Blu - yes. As long as there's no workmen in it at the time...) hug

926 posts

Posted:
yeah you can still smoke as long as there are no workers in..unless they smoke too i guess.

the only negative thing i'd say about no smoking in pubs is that there is now nothing to cover the smell of either methane or old men.... ubblol

Owned by Brenn smile

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
Too true. Muchos stinkos. It's better to go to a mates house now. Which is great. No neds or leering old men....ubblol

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
on the whole, I think asking people to smoke outside in a situation where there are non-smokers present is reasonable

a couple of points: the past seven months (since I've been in China), I've not smoked a single thing, and it has made me MUCH more aware of other people's smoke: It's pretty customary for people to have a cigarette before, during and after a meal in China, which I would find pretty gross anyway, but I find myself sitting across the other side of the room from my colleague here when she lights up, as I simply find cigarette smoke revolting now. Hence I can sympathise with the non-smokers.

However, I would be interested as to what consequences this will have:
what will be defined as the minimum gap for a non-walled marquee? Coild you have a tent that was simply all roof wink or will this need a new tent design?

Will there be a big tent at festivals, just for smoking? (and Al, I don't mean the reggae tent)

Also where do people stand on Hookahs? (which I consider to be one of the least offensive ways of smoking, given that they smell like a sweet shop, and I think the tar content is almost negligible)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
There's some tea shops in Glasgow which have hookahs and fruit tobacco, and as far as I know, the customers now have to go outside to the garden to smoke them. I think they have to make it a blanket law, as there's always people who'll complain...shrug Fair enough I think. Most places in Scotland have set up covered areas with tables and chairs (and the obligatory outside heater ubblol) to compensate.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

the new "no smoking" laws........
bad news people, this WILL affect festivals from 1st of july!!!!!!!!!

I don't see how this is bad news in the slightest biggrin

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I'm a heavy smoker.

The only slight niggle I have with the ban coming in is the ban on smoking on 'all south eastern train premises' - or so the man from on top of the pole says. I'm assuming this applies for all other train networks.

I dont see the problem with me smoking a cigeratte on an open platform standing miles away from anybody else - but hey I can have a cigerette outside the station.

As of july I wont come home from the pub and wake up in the morning feeling like a badger has shat in my mouth.

At festivals, the ban will probably prompt me to get up off my ass out of the marquee, go outside in the sunshine, see all the pretty things going on and make me forget I ever wanted a cigerette in the first place.

I'd like to think of myself as a considerate smoker already - but when the ban comes in I can be sure that nobody is passivly breathing in the sh!t I choose to put in my lungs.

p.s. Might be nice of you to change the thread title to something more relevent to the subject matter smile
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1177350630)

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I don't see it as an issue either.. might mean I can have a bounce around in a hot tent for a change.. ubbrollsmile

I do smoke, but not that much - I can't handle smokie tents as festies as my contact lenses tend to stick to my eyeballs and I end up looking like a blinking wierdo with red eyes.. ubblol

although the nose thing might stop me venturing in to far.. urgh.. the smell of the sweaty unwashed *shudder*

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
ANOTHER well names thread from Ravehead rolleyes ... Come on Al, its not *that* hard.

I'm all for the ban. I'm hoping it will help me kick my "social smoking" habit. smile

grouphug x

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: blu_valley

You can still smoke in your own house though right???

not if you work from home, even if it is a non commecial premisise such as a flat or a house youy CAN'T smoke 2 hours befor any maintainance or work crew turns up.

imagine glastonbury or glade or reading festival with a blanket wide ban on smokeing.................let alone any prison in the UK ubblol

this law is a joke, it is unenforcable and a complete farce!!!!!

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: burningoftheclavey

yeah you can still smoke as long as there are no workers in

under the new laws you cant even do that in your own home

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Asena

ANOTHER well names thread from Ravehead rolleyes ... Come on Al, its not *that* hard.

I'm all for the ban. I'm hoping it will help me kick my "social smoking" habit. smile

well the title i intended was "the new smoking laws" but somewhere it got messed up, my bad i guess redface

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

imagine glastonbury or glade or reading festival with a blanket wide ban on smokeing.

Doesn't the law just apply to enclosed areas? There'll not be a great deal of Glastonbury or Reading (I've not been to glade, so I can't comment) that this law applies to if that's the case.

Looks like the big tops at Play are going to be smoke free zones though smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

7,193 posts

Posted:
the new laws cover ANY space!!! be it a lean two or any tempory or permanant structure.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Again, there'll not be much of Glastonbury or Reading festivals covered by that law then.

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
personally, im not bothered about smoking, but also, ive never touched one and never will!
anyway, the one and only reason im actually looking forward to the smoking ban is the fact ill never have to wash out ashtrays at 3 in the morining! biggrin

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

Sparklygreenfire*Green Spirit*
201 posts

Posted:
My hair soaks up smoke so much!! After waking after a mad night out, I have to wash my hair twice just to get it smelling nice again...and if any of you guys have dreads, you'll know what a pain in the aras it is to wash em!!soapbox
Bring on the ban I say, can't wait til I can go out and not smell like an ashtray when I get back. If my hair and clothes soak it up, imagine what it's doing to my lungs!! angry ubbloco

Are you a robot...or an alien?

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:

Written by: burningoftheclavey

yeah you can still smoke as long as there are no workers in

under the new laws you cant even do that in your own home

The only time you can't smoke in your own home is if you have workers in. Don't be stupid. Do you really think the police are going to go round every house checking to see if there's people smoking? Come on now. That's not even slightly feasible. As long as you're in your own home and it's NOT someone (elses) workplace (if it's only yours then there's no issue) then of course you can smoke indoors.

Please think rationally about this dude.

7,193 posts

Posted:
chellybean i'm only stating what the new laws cover, this is not my personal oppinion it's a matter of fact written in the pamphlet sent out to all businesses.

spankplease don't call me stupid, i know i can be a muppet some times but on this subject i am being 100% serious

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You may be 100% serious, but it doesnt mean you are not incorrect/wrong.

Written by: smokefreeengland.co.uk - the website set up to inform people about the smoking ban

What places are exempt under the draft regulations?

There are very limited exemptions from the new law, as set out in the Smoke-free (Exemptions and Vehicles) Regulations. These regulations include exemptions for bedrooms in hotels, and for care homes, hospices and prisons. In most cases, exemptions do not apply to the entirety of premises, but to "designated rooms", that must meet requirements specified in the regulations.

I am a health visitor, can I insist the client stop smoking when I visit them at home?

The new law makes no requirements about smoking in private dwellings. You might find the advice in the The Royal College on Nursing's excellent guide Protecting community staff from exposure to second-hand smoke: RCN best practice guide for staff and managers helpful for how community-based staff can be protected from secondhand smoke during their work.

So Ravehead, you CAN smoke in prison. You CAN smoke in your own home.

So it seems that the phamphlets are all wrong! How embarassing for the Government. umm
EDITED_BY: UnbearablyColdOrFreezing (1177409450)

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnbearablyColdOrFreezing

You CAN smoke in your own home.

Phew! biggrin

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Im smoking while i read this. My usual mornig routine of coffee, fag and check Hop. I was worried about the smoking ban for a few months but after going up to Edinborough for new year i actually really liked the pubs not alowing smoking. I only went outside for a fag when i really wanted one (it was bloody baltic outside) and found that i woke up with far less of a hangover than i would have expected considering how much we had that night.
I've been smoking for nearly 10 years now and its about time i stopped poluting my body every day. The smoking ban is the perfect kick up the arse needed to finaly get round to giving up. Yea it wont be easy but i hope to look back in a few years and wonder why i ever smoked at all. Im not counting spl!ffs in that but i dont have a problem with keeping that confined to my own home since i pretty much do that anyway.
Yea it will be strange having to think about it at festivals but only something like 1/3 of the population smoke so i think its perfectly reasonable for the other 2/3s not to have to put up with what is basically a pretty nasty polutant.

"Don't do it naked!"

Page: