Forums > Social Discussion > junk food ads banned during childrens TV *Has The world gone mad!!*

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
as reported on the news this morning:

"Junk food ad ban plans laid out

The broadcasting regulator is sticking to its plans to ban junk food ads during TV shows watched by under-16s.

Ofcom has concluded a consultation on its proposals for restricting ads for foods and drinks which are high in fat, salt and sugar, published in November.

Health campaigners had wanted a ban on junk food ads up to the 9pm watershed.

But Ofcom has said the ban, which will be phased in, will cover any shows teenagers will find appealing, whenever they are aired.

Ofcom had already said there would be a total ban on ads during children's programmes and on children's channels, as well as adult programmes watched by a large number of children.

After the consultation, it has been decided that the timetable will be:-

1 April 2007 - ads for foods high in fat, sugar and salt will be banned during or around programmes made specifically for children or those which would particularly appeal to children aged seven to nine,

1 January 2008 - junk food ads will banned in and around programmes aimed at, or which appeal to, children aged four to 15,

By December 2008 - Dedicated children's channels will have to have phased out all junk food ads.

Review

It has been estimated the ban will cost broadcasters an estimated £39 million in lost advertising revenue.

We are hugely disappointed that they didn't take the ban a step further

Peter Hollins, British Heart Foundation

Ofcom also said there would be new rules governing advertising to primary school age children.

The use of celebrities and characters, such as cartoon heroes, free gifts and health or nutrition claims will also be banned.

Ofcom suggests the package would mean that, in households where children's viewing includes a large number of programmes targeted at adults as well as those for children and young people, under-16s would see 41% fewer junk food ads.

A Food Standards Agency ratings system will be used to assess which foods are too high in fat, sugar and salt to be advertised to children.

Ofcom will review the effectiveness of the restrictions in the autumn of 2008.

But Ofcom's plans have come in for criticism.

Peter Hollins, chief executive of the British Heart Foundation, said: "Despite all the evidence, Ofcom have turned their back on the right thing for the nation's children.

"We are hugely disappointed that they didn't take the ban a step further in the first place.

"A pre-9pm watershed ban is the best way to protect our kids and is what parents want to see happen1. It's time for the government to step in."

And Melanie Leech, director of industry body the Food and Drink Federation, said: "Ofcom notes TV advertising has a modest, direct effect on children's food choices and is only one among many influences.

"So today's decision will not, by itself, reduce childhood obesity; there are no silver bullets that can be fired at this particular problem."

She added: "We are disappointed that Ofcom has decided to extend the restrictions on advertising to cover young people.

"This is a disproportionate response given that the issue has always been about young children, and industry responded to Ofcom's initial consultation on that basis."

Story from BBC NEWS:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/health/6385345.stm

Published: 2007/02/22 10:44:14 GMT

© BBC MMVII"

do we really need a ban on ads?

i don't think so how about parents just dont buy junk food to feed the children. not much of a radical step now is it.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: GothFrogette

...........i just feel that by banning the ads just during the kids programs illustrates that some parents need to take control over their children eat rather than the children dictating to the parent.

No-one would disagree that some parents need to relate to their kids better and get some control.

If leaving the junk food ads on TV would assist in that direction, that would be grounds for perhaps not banning them.

However, leaving the ads on will not, in any way, help parents get control, will it?

For that reason, i'm still very happy for them to be banned.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
like i said they should replace them with healthy food ads

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
And if they do that i think they should put more programs on about where food comes from too. there was a boy in our street aged 8 who didn't know how most of the veg grew so we let him help plant some. he was shocked to see that peas grew in a pod rather than on a bush like berries.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
i think it's a good idea to ban adds.i don't think it will change habbits of people who already eat crud (like me) but it will perhaps prevent some kids and/or parents from forming the habbits in the first place.

sure, other stuff needs to be done, but every little bit helps.

as to all you guys going avertising doesn't work and advertising works in drip drip effects or whatever...

*puts hand up*

advertising works on me! and suggestive selling.

i'm in the pub, i'm drinking CC and diet coke... i look up and i see a poster with carona on it and i'm like... hmm... beer... i wander over to the bar and say "i'll have a carona with lemon thanks"

Me: "i'll have a mc oz and a frozen coke thanks"
McChick: "will that be a large?"
Me: "yeah why not."

to the point where i'll be on my butt watching tv at midnight and i'll see an add for... say... a paddle-pop.. i'll think "mmm... i could go for a paddle-pop" and i'll get off the aforemetioned butt, go to my room and put clothes on over my pj's, get in my car, go to the servo, and get me some paddle-pop action.

so if that can work on my well-balenced 22-year-old mind... it can work on kids. and never discount pester-power... you see kids all the time whinging and whinging while they're out shopping with their mum... she's got a trolly filled to the brim, she's obviously been in the shop for at least an hour or two, there's this kid hanging off the side of the trolly going "i want this" "i want that" after two hours of that crap, *usually* mum gives in just to get the kid to shut up for five minutes.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
wow... that was quite a rant...

well... i haven't posted in about two weeks... i'm probably about due.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
That was quite the rant..and one of the best one's I've seen in quite some time. smile smile

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
FoxInDocs good rant hug

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
umm

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
yes...those are compliments

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
hmmm... weird...

but thanks. smile
EDITED_BY: FoxInDocs (1172704842)

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Interesting point to add to Foxy's about parents in the supermarket - some supermarkets now have "Lolly Free Checkouts" with the specific intent so that the mother than wait in the line in peace without the child saying "mummy! i want this!!!"

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
ok, so, i've just been in mcdonalds to get lunch (so sue me)...

now, over the past coulpe of years, macca's australia have lifted ther game significantly with the introduction of their "deli choices" range, salads and the "lean beef burger"...

now i've just gone in there and found this little pamphlet about the introduction of 9 heart foundation approved meals. they look pretty nice...

they've replaced the standard "fries and coke" with an apple, a tub of youghurt or a garden salad and a bottle of water or a glass of orange juice. The meals, as presented in the pamphlet are discounted at %15, if you order the meal with a differnant drink or minus pickles etc, no discount for you.

i, for one, am impressed.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Questions is, what is the Heart Foundation?

Sometimes organisations with reassuring names are formed by groups of companies like MacDonalds, to publish questionable data from researchers funded by these companies.

Even if it is an independant body, they can recieve so much funding from sponsors whose business interests are opposed to their message (And the sponsors get to say "We fund such and such. We're not all bad" too), that they may restrict just how truthful they're going to be, in order to safeguard that funding.

Look at health publications. The advertising may be for healthy products, but the majority of it can come from companies who are mainly known for unhealthy products. Their big advertising contract gives them a fair bit of leverage.

I'm not saying anyone in these companies is necessarily evil, it's just that big companies have a lot of people in them, and if they all do a very small something wrong - the kind of thing anyone would forgive without thinking about it - it adds up to something huge.

(The next question would be, where does the apple, salad and orange juice come from? Local source or air freighted from thousands of miles away? Organic? Fair Trade? Is the yoghurt a natural product, or is it made from what's left over from some other milk using process, with artificial sweetners and flavourings?)

---------------------

The shelf space in supermarkets is sold to food companies, so they get to put the products that make them the most money (that'd be the ones made from the cheapest ingredients) in the most exposed places.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
The Heart Foundation is reputable.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

M33k0BRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I dont care either way what is on TV. Cause I feed my kid healthy food and have instilled good food values in her.

Case in point... she is only 3, and yes she does indulge in candy every so often and the very occasional fast food (she actually hardly ever eats fast food)

But when we are in the store, she doesnt ask for crap food. She LOVES yogurt, string cheese, juices, vegetable soup, fish, and especially fruit. I can ask her what she wants for desert, and say chocolate (I occasionally offer her a piece) or string cheese. 95% of the time she will go for the healthy food. And she is in incredibly smart kid who is VERY healthy.

Junk food isnt so bad every so often. But a parent needs to teach their kids that good food is better for them to eat and tastes better. And not giving in to kids when they cry cause they dont have their way works too. So I dont care if they have junk food ads on TV... my kid is my kid and I choose what she eats. Shame on the parents that dont teach their kids good eating values.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Some of you guys are very fortunate to have decent parenting skills and, it would be great if everyone had them.

But they don't, many parents lack those skills, maybe underclass parents working double jobs just to pay the bills, many of them suffering ill-health themselves cos their parents fell victim to the junk-food marketing message and fed them the crap they demanded as kids.

So, count your blessings, be proud of the work you've put in with your kids, but please reflect on the fact that, had you been brought up in the kind of disfunctional environement they were, then, statistically, you'd likely have the same kind of parent/child relationship that they do.

As far as I can see, there's only two reasons why the ads shouldn't be banned-

1. sympathy for the junk food producers-

Personally, I dont care about that, IMO, ban the ads.

2. this attitude that seems common on some on this thread 'My kids aren't susceptible to this marketing, cos I've brought them up well, therefore, no-ones kids should be susceptible, so let the ads continue and blame the parents instead.

What i think of that, is covered above.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
what rougie said.

they use daily juice brand orange juice at macca's here. australian product.

but does it *really* matter where it comes from? we're talking about healthy food here. is a "free trade" apple any healthier than any other apple? as long as they're kept in appropriate conditions are vegetables from "thousands of miles away" any healthier than locally grown vegetables which have probably been kept in similar conditons for a similar ammout of time?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
How can produce be considered healthier if it has to be shipped from another country, adding to air pollution.

Fruit from other countries can be sat in cold storage for months, is gamma irradiated and treated with fungicides and pesticides to keep things off it while in storage, and is made nice and shiny with wax (I used to work at a cold stores, so I got to see the dates on the stuff etc.)

Local stuff comes off the tree, goes in a box, the box is taken to the greengrocers, and it's put on display.

Any form of storage reduces the nutritional content of food.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Fox...the where does the food come from ? issue revolves around the burning of fossil fuels to transport the food...nothing more. Did you mean fair trade ? Fair trade's one of those feel good ideas that doesn't really mean much in the real world. I've been to a couple of fair trade coffee plantations, and they're no different from the non fair trade ones,,the people live exactly the same at both types.

Our local McDonald's are taking the same tack with the salads, fruit, and deli sandwiches..IE they're reacting to consumer demand like any competitive business.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
uh-huh, cuz while it's in the plane, the air-pollution is sucked into the apple, causeing it to be unhealthy.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
*ROFLMAO*

That goes right up there with:

"Brawndo's what plants need. It's got electrolytes"

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Do they transport apples by plane in Aus?? or truck them instead..humm I wonder just how much fruit travels by air when compared to other modes ? Anyways. there's a coating of shellac on apples to help seal them

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Fox - yes it does matter, a fair trade apple is worse than a local organic one its all about the carbon foot print we are hearing so much of. i try my hardest to always use local business and farms for as much of my shop as possible. supermarkets are evil. convientiant but evil. ubblol

Fai Trade has been proven to offer so much to the countrys where it is produced from, the extra money goes towards sending children to school, clean water etc. the proof is there in all the research that has been done. so for coffee and other things i can not get hold of from local farms then its fair trade all the way.

Stout... i wander how many people actually know about the shellac on fruit? its rather odd/amusing to have non vegan friendly fruit eek

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Does anyone here object to banning alcohol and tobacco ads during children's programming?

If so, why? If not, why not?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
They don't have them in the uk, they used to though. and to be honest getting rid of them doesn't seemed to of worked/put the kids off drinking and smoking as the numbers of underage smoking and drinking is rising all the time.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
The UK is perhaps the most dysfunctional nation in the world when it comes to alcohol though- alcohol abuse is currently a huge issue, both where adults and teens are concerned.

The causes of that dysfunction seem currently to be not well understood, but it's probably fair to say that the underlying problems which lead to adults routinely abusing alcohol, also affect teens and pre-teens.

(IMO, a big part of that is the fact that, in the UK, there is an underlying attitude that alcohol facilitates, or is even essential to, social interaction).

So, the fact that, post-drink-advert ban, underage drinking has increased, does not mean that banning the ads has failed- it's quite possible that, without the drink-ad ban, underage drinking would be even worse than it is now.

Additionally, Lightning was talking about drink/smoking ads during childrens programming- correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think drink/smoking ads have ever been part of UK childrens programming?

In which case, there never was a ban, so it would not have been relevant to increased teen-drinking (like I say, correct me if I'm wrong on that).

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
first you were talking about how unhealthy the food was, give mcd's a minute and credit before you start on a new complaint of pollution

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
They don't need credit. They've got profits.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
In Canada, we've had a total ban on tobacco advertising in place for years and I can't imagine many advertisers wanting to advertise a product like alcohol to a target audience that isn't legally able to access their product...sounds like a waste of money to me.

Yes..the shellac on fruit...I think it's time to create an awareness campaign on this issue followed up by a marketing campaign to introduce individually packaged alcohol wipes for vegans to remove the non-vegan contaminate from the outside of their fruits and vegetables.

So if insects or insect products are not vegan, then what about bacteria and fungi ? just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they don't have feelings too ?

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Good point onewheeldave i don't think there ever was ad during the kids tv ads. there was and still are some drinking ads during other tv prgrams that children watched with their parents(i think, i am not sure as i don't watch alot of tv)

ubblol @ stout hug

Page: