PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I don't know about them much. I've read about them. I've been to the GE site to read about their technology.

Of course, I have the initial knee jerk reaction of "great, let's do more damage to the ocean" but since I don't really know a whole lot about it, I am not going to stick with that opinion.

So now I am just interested in what other people think or know about it.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by ravehead

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

most pointless thread EVER *yawn*

seems to me you just want to start threads bitching about this or that to get your own self gratification.

you really need to get out more!!

wow - where did that come from ravehead? confused

if this was in social chat, maybe, but it's been put forward as a discussion point...

not sure where the crankiness towards the post is coming from? smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
discuss??? tongue

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
well I for one am interested in the desalination debate - they're taking of building one in my town...

oh, unless you meant discuss the questions I asked of you? eek

why did you have such a reaction to Pele's post? confused

7,193 posts

Posted:
discuss further wink

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
there was a commercial on for it...

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That commercial is what spurned me to look into it. I hadn't really heard alot about it until then.

Ade, what is it that they are proposing for your area? I am not sure I understand what goes on. Obviously, the pump ocean water through a system and out puts fresh water, right? What else happens in the community, or the ocean? Does anything get put back?

Pele

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
They are talking about when the dam levels drop below 30% (they were 32% on sunday, now back to 35% with some rain on Monday) that the government will build a desalination plant to sort out our water problems. It has seen a huge debate ensue - about other alternatives and the location of said plant

a lot of people are wondering why it has to be a desal plant and why can't we recylce our water - the way I understand London and Hong Kong do...

the government here in my state is very nervous about people drinking 'recycled effluent' as opposed to the construction of a desal plant

and we just had the most rain we have had on Monday for 9 years - and many people are talking about installing rain water tanks

this issue is quite topical for me at the moment

I'd be happy to drink recylced water - and leave the ocean alone
EDITED_BY: Ade (1171413696)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Alot of places in the US use recycled water with much success as well. There was a program on Discover Channel that showed the entire process and not only is it quite impressive, it seems to really be efficient at getting the ick out.

I understand a proper rain tank is wonderful, but if not cared for can be quite stagnant and nasty, which makes sense. What about those humitdity condensers? Would those work in your area? (I have no clue where you are in Oz)

Pele

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I'd happily drink recycled water, glad to hear it's happening in the US.

I'm on the east coast of oz, and the rain water tanks people have are usually used for watering the garden, washing the car etc... too much of our drinking water is used for those purposes - so the stagnancy isn't a major issue for most people...

and the rainfall has been so low in the last 9 years, that most of oz is in drought status - even the city - so the water wouldn't get a chance to go yukky

No idea what a humidity condensor is...

ubbrollsmile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
A humidity condensor (I saw about it on a show about an entire eco-community) that pulls moisture from the air, cools it to the point of condensation and has a "low part" where the water collects and is usable. It seems you'd have to live in a humid area for this to be worth it.

That makes sense about the rain tanks/sisterns then. I can see how it would help save alot of the damn water.

Do you have a water use ban that says no watering lawns, washing cars, etc? Or would it be pointless after a drought lasting that long?

I am still trying to see if anything goes back to the ocean but I haven't found anything about that.

Pele

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
yep - we have different levels of water restrictions - no hosing of hard surfaces, cars etc.

hand watering of plants is permitted and you can use the hose for limited periods 2 days per week

level 4 restrictions say you can't use any water from a hose outside the home

A lot of us who live here have buckets in the shower to collect the wasted water, use recycled grey water systems for water from washing up and from the washing machine... smile

councils are offering rebates for installing water tanks to encourage people to collect water for gardens and cars etc

all of my empty containers were put in the yard on Monday and are full of water

there are people who drive around looking for water wasters - and then fine them...

crikey - with the contention over desal, I can't see a humidity thing getting of the ground here

ubbloco

Many of our rural communities have completely run out of water and some are trucking it in to survive

a school recently had it's water STOLEN! during the school holidays - water is a hot topic in oz at the moment

and one of our major rivers is about to run dry due to the amount of drought and irrigation...

eek

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Rougie's further inventory of water-related information websites

https://www.awa.asn.au/Content/Navigation...ion/default.htm

this is the Australian Water Association so you can wander around on here and find out about other water issues too

https://www.abc.net.au/science/expert/realexpert/desalination/

question 1 deals with the environmental impact

https://www.acfonline.org.au/articles/news.asp?news_id=1023&c=144530

Australian Conservation Foundation and deals with water tank questions as well

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Wow Ade! That is really scary. I have such a hard time immagining it, and am currently counting my blessings (I live on Lake Ontario, which is one of the Great Lakes on the US-Canada border..a HUGE source of fresh water, and near the Finger Lakes, another large fresh water source).

Just...wow.

We go through drought and water restrictions here so that we don't tap into the lakes and rivers too much, so I can't imagine what it must be like there. Just wow.eek

Most impressive Rougie. I'll be sifting through and seeing what I can absorb (get it...ha! Okay...bad joke spank )

Pele

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
what is scarier - is that people seem to think it will all be ok - probably a bit of the australian way refected in our attitude - you know: she'll be right mate

I would have thought with our dam at such a low level - we should be freaking out eek but people are still illegally washing their car, lawn etc...

heck, even the farmers are still applying for irigation licenses and one of the national politicians is saying that cotton and rice farming don't take up much water confused eek

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ummm...isn't rice grown *in* water? Last time I stepped in a rice field it was over my ankles. confused

Some people don't give a damn, or think it doesn't apply to them because you know "one person won't hurt".
Stupid people.

Pele

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ade

I'd happily drink recycled water...

It's not like you have much choice. wink

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

Can drink bottle water from an iceberg. Can drink milk, juice, etc.... tongue

Pele

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:

yep, and that's part of the argument for recylcing water - we are probably drinking dinosaur wee in there somewhere eek ubblol

the nationals here defend farmers livelihoods - hence the rice comment - no matter if it was wrong or stupid

mind you, the general trend with politicians here is to say anything (even if it is plain wrong) and then refuse to back it up with data...or facts...it's all spin doctoring for a grab on the news...

What I'd like to know is where else in our HoP land (ie the rest of the world) has water restrictions or water problems like we do in oz?

smile

thanks for the water links Rouge

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
You are exactly right Ade. Very little new water comes into the system, everything we drink has been through the backsides of a million different organisms before we get to it.

Desalinisation creates super-saline water which is pumped back into to oceans, usually close to shore. It doesn't do the wildlife a hell of a lot of good. Recycling is effectively what nature does, is we speed up the process with reverse osmosis or whatever, what's to worry about?

Apart from the heavy metal. Recycling doesn't remove metals from the water and we get a build up, principally of copper (found that out today, while working on a new recycled water facility).

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Eera

Apart from the heavy metal. Recycling doesn't remove metals from the water and we get a build up, principally of copper (found that out today, while working on a new recycled water facility).

Personal filters help with that.
We have hard water and it is very drinkable with a filter. smile

Pele

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

I don't know about them much.

Well, Searching via Google can be helpful for finding information about factual topics.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Can drink bottle water from an iceberg. Can drink milk, juice, etc.... tongue

'fraid that's still "recycled" Pele. Going through an iceberg, cow or fruit doesn't unrecycle water.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...