Forums > Social Chat > Drunkeness Fun or Not?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CarcassBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
I find i have more fun when im drunk some people disagree, whats your view {and tell us all those hilarious stories}

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I can honestly say that I am not a big fan of being drunk.

Now, having said that, I wouldn't be spinning poi if I hadn't gotten drunk one evening at the start of a spin practice here in town. I had been spinning staff for a while, but my friends knew that I wasn't interested in poi in any way. So, when they saw my state, they decided to stick some racquetball poi in my hands. 3 hours and many, many bruises later, I was hooked.

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I've only been really drunk once and it was fun. I found the after effects not worth the experience. But I'm glad I gave it a shot.
I will admit that I'm always amused by people that don't know how to drink without getting hung-over. I guess it's how you know who went to a party school and who didn't.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I find that on the rare occasions when I do drink a lot, I get some weird but profound insights.

Example: One night we were all just back from the bar and decided to watch American Pie 2. The scene where Jim glues his hand to his wang-wang got me thinking - would my friends be supportive of me if I did something so insanely embarassing? Or would they make fun of me for the rest o fmy life? Take the first type of friend, the kind that will be there for you in your worst times of crisis and not make fun of you for doing something incredibly dumb, and you have what I now call a "Superglue Friend." Ahhh, insight.

Than again, another time I somehow managed to obtain Buddhist prayer beads (a friend put them on me) and in my altered state I was telling everyone the prayer beads were my "bling-bling."

A friend of mine got so drunk he passed out on my bathroom floor and woke up to the "Chinese Water Torture" - his puking clogged up the toilet and it overflowed onto him.... it gets better too, because when he took my bathroom rugs down to wash them, he decided to take his own laundry and wash it too. He ended up returning with someone else's laundry ("Where did all these white socks come from?") and I ran into that guy later on in the day (turns out it was someone I knew) and he was all upset because someone stole his laundry... hehehe we returned it and it was all good though. I also got an excellent picture of my roomie bracing the bowl... haha we are merciless to each other sometimes.

I guess it depends on the mood going in - if you're happy, it will enhance it. If you're sad, it will also enhance it.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

James Bmember
44 posts

Posted:
I find that after a drink or two some people do find that some rules don't apply to them. I myself have to be in the mood to get pissed, when I do get pissed (3 nights a week) everything seams alot more funny.

Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
When I drink more than 1-2 within an hour, I feel poisoned. I feel sick, lethargic, nauseated, and dizzy.

Yeah, gimme some of THAT...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Spending nights out on the lash with friends is one of my favorite things to do, and while I don't neccessarily have 'more' fun I tend to have a much more chaotic, madcap sort of fun. We tend to tell cruder jokes, be funnier, smarter and more attractive to the opposite sex when we drink. Almost like what God must feel when He's drunk.

But seriously, we're just a little looser, and are more likely to have free flowing conversation. We tend to go on more adventures and and play pranks and stuff. Like one night I climbed three stories up the outside of a brownstone apartment building to steal a badass american flag that had corporate logos inplace of the stars. Since I had consumed several beers, carbombs, and bourbon shots I was only concerned about getting up and not coming down. I made it up fine but, I got stuck after making it a little ways down and had to jump the last 25 feet, and had it not been for my years of martial arts training I may have very well broken both of my legs.

So, Yes, Drinking is fun.

Jesus helps me trick people.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Drinking.....

hrmm....

it's a horrible thing, but i enjoy it at times.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Of course it's fun. Too many funny stories to share. I dunno drinking is very much ingrained in our culture over here. Even the place where I work is constantly pumping us full of free beer to keep moral high.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

JollyGreenGiantmember
44 posts

Posted:
::Cautiously ventures out of the Introductions forum::

I'm a U.S. Marine so drinking is very engrained in my culture. There are some people who if they aren't flat out wasted 5-6 nights a week they aren't happy. Me personally, I used to like to get wasted but then I had a bad experience with alot of Wild Turkey (bourbon), a toilet, and spending the next 18 hours in bed. Since then I enjoy drinking on the weekends but I don't like to get drunk anymore, just buzzed.

-Eric

-Eric
A wise monkey never monkeys around with another monkey's monkey...

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
well, there is drinking, then there is getting absolutely maggoted. I like my share of both, though the day after the night before can be a bit nasty. Take my 18th. I had a few beers, then nearly an entire bottle of whiskey (sam cougar xs). everything i can remember was awesome, and the only part i forgot was the bad bits, like me throwing up into a bin, then saying 'no, thats the recycling bin', and staggering off to throw up in the other bin. That was me absolutely maggoted, and everything i can remember was great fun.

Having a few drinks, on the other hand, is another story. There is, in my mind, very few things better than coming home after a particularly bad day at uni, and having a nice, cold beer. or, having a glass of port just prior to bed. gives one a wonderfully warm feeling, that does. But not all drinking need end up in absolute maggotedness.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I don't like being drunk. I think it's because my liver doesn't metabolize it well. I probably build up a chemical called acetaldehyde (which is made by the breakdown of alcohol) and it makes me feel ill after as few as 2 drinks.

So no, I don't enjoy being drunk.

Which is just as well. A single shot of hard alcohol has 100-200 Kcal in it. Just keep that in mind if any of you are watching your weight.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I don't drink. I hate not being in control, I abhor the absolute twattedness that drunk people display. I cannot stand having to walk to the station at 8 on a weeknight and have to put up with drunken verbal abuse from a bunch of morons steadily getting their braincells fried.

But most of all, I hate people not respecting my right not to drink; I do not moralise about it, I don't tell others not to, I'm always going to be the sober one who can drive you home, and yet I've found I cannot trust other people not to attempt to spike my drinks because they think that's funny.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
sometimes being drunk is fun.

you can end up doing some funny things or silly things which are funny later, but bad at first.

im a happy drunk person though which is good.

smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

OnionGOLD Member
30 posts

Posted:
its a careful balance of having fun, but being sober enough to remember the stupid things that everyone else does biggrin

alcohol makes me more extroverted, which sometimes i dont like...
i like to be a hermit.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I agree with Eera, i dont drink and never really have but i also find that even though my friends know that i am the one to drive them home etc. they still think its funny to try to force alcohol on me and spike my drinks (they stopped after i had a bad reaction to whatever they put in my drink and ended up in hospital frown ).

When people are mildly tipsy then they can be quite amusing but if you get a bunch of people who have all had too much to drink, it will usually end badly and personally i dont see the point. I like to remember my nights and not feel like total crap the morning after!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I drink because its something to do. Im not a huge fan of being drunk and even less a fan of the after effects but I still do it fairly regularly because a lot of my friends go to bars on the regular. Id much rather sit around having a smoking session whenever possible but I only have a few friends who smoke the cheeba now days...

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i dont like losing control. however fortunately, ive never been drunk enough so that i couldnt control my actions. (drunk enough to throw up however, and i didnt like that at all!)

i like to drink socially and for a bit of fun, but theres a point where i stop. i dont like being stupidly drunk (even tho ive only been that maybe once). relaxed drunk is alright.

but for me my drunkenness can be really blurry. when im surrounded my my friends i go insane anyway and people think im drunk. at my party on friday night i was bouncing off the walls after only drinking coke! and then after a few drinks i was still bouncing off the walls! so i really have no idea how much of my behaviour was alcahol and how much was me being surrounded by all my friends!
THAT was extremely fun!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:

Drinking - Love it!
But not to excess - Its a great way to loosen up in tense situations - ie a room full of unknowns, a good way to enjoy those tedious work dinners, a good way to get up the nerve to hit on a fella you'd usually be too shy to approach....

Also not something you can do too often - It gets expensive, you feel rotten afterwards, and its always good to also bond with people while sober.

But sometimes theres nothing better than drinking games, cocktail parties, wine & cheese nights, going wine tasting in the vineyards with old friends, or ordering shots at the bar on a girls night ubbrollsmile

But as long as its all in moderation, not to fix something else wrong in your life, and social (i seem to draw the line at drinking alone as a lead into alcoholism) i think its all fantastic - And remember, there are a lot worse things you could be doing with your time rolleyes

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I've had a LOT of fun whilst drunk, and a LOT of fun whilst sobar.

I only ever drink when I'm having fun already and in good company. Personally alcohol makes me talk lots, kinda silly and these days I know my limits/have never failed to make it home. I hardly ever drink alone (when i do its generally a couple before going out, because I'm cheap like that). If you drink to compensate for the place you're in being crap instead of calling it a night and going home, then I think you're missing the point.

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
I have to admit I do really enjoy the odd can of strongbow!! Kind of calming down a bit now on that front though...

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
when i get drunk it's only to wake myself up.

i don't like being drunk and i don't like the tase of alcohol. makes it quite cheap really!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
booze is ok, I guess. The odd bender does you good if you can remember (at least some of) what happened. More than once a week is a waste tho. But there's much nicer/enjoyable/happier/safe drugs out there than dirty liqour wink legal and not quite so legal ubbangel

Let's relight this forum ubblove

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
< post deleted by GLI >
EDITED_BY: GottaLoveIt (1087219256)

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
jeez, that sounds like the hangover from hell. if you can, get water and some berocca into you.

get better soon hug

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
yeah, sorry it's getting deleted

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Actually I'm really useless with the internet and Durbs put that picture on for me! I'm not completely obsessed with Strongbow, honest! beerchug

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Drinking is indeed fun for moi! I've generally got a really chilled attitude to everything so thankfully I've never been in a situation where alcohol has aided depression, although I've seen many mates crying through drunken upsetnesses. I usually pace myself, but when I decided to get really drunk, I get reeeally drunk, which has led to entire days (last day of school for instance) being wiped from my memory by vodka redbulls before 10am. That is a bit of a waste if you ask me, but if you manage to get drunk enough to be a dumbass but not to drunk to remember it, thats sweet. Even the times I've puked have been fun - theres just something hilarious about having to empty the contents of your stomach while other people get worried.

Spiking drinks is reprehensible however. The first time I puked was because someone was diluting my wine with vodka. I noticed pretty quickly and didnt mind, and my mate would have told me quite quick if i hadnt noticed, it was just banter - but doing it slyly or against the persons wishes is just sick.

Also recently while too drunk I took a pill, which I would never have done sober. Again it was fun and I really enjoyed it, but something COULD have gone wrong, thats the point. Actually it did! I fell over and couldnt play poi for weeks because of the sprained wrist, forgot about that. So yeah, I don't want to get that drunk again because I wasn't in control, which is frightening.

Do people abide by the under21 american drinking law? I've heard they really do, but surely that is dangerous on your 21st birthday? Here, people get stupidly drunk on their 18ths, but they have generally been drunk alot before, so can kinda handle it. I can't imagine what would happen if they had really never drunk before.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
Written by: L i g h t n i n g

I don't like being drunk. I think it's because my liver doesn't metabolize it well. I probably build up a chemical called acetaldehyde (which is made by the breakdown of alcohol) and it makes me feel ill after as few as 2 drinks.

So no, I don't enjoy being drunk.

Which is just as well. A single shot of hard alcohol has 100-200 Kcal in it. Just keep that in mind if any of you are watching your weight.

i think just knowing chemically what goes on with your body and alcohol would take the fun out of it anyhow ubblol

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I think my body's started reacting really badly to alcohol... I lost half a stone due to 5 cans of stella this weekend.
Tis not good!!!
I know everyone says "I'll never drink again" when they're experiencing the effects but I have more respect for my body than to lose weight everytime I drink.

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Do people abide by the under21 american drinking law? I've heard they really do, but surely that is dangerous on your 21st birthday? Here, people get stupidly drunk on their 18ths, but they have generally been drunk alot before, so can kinda handle it. I can't imagine what would happen if they had really never drunk before.

Not really...most kids somehow manage to get ahold of plenty of alcohol before they are 21, just not necessarily in bars. I think that in general the type of person who wants to go get drunk on their 21st won't be doing it for the first time. It just bugs me when kids get drunk just because they aren't supposed to and its "bad", like these kids who got drunk in 7th grade at this girl's Bat Mitzvah. I mean, fine, go do whatever you want other places, but not on someone else's special day. mad spank

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

Page: