Forums > Social Discussion > Your nickname, and you, your feelings and your friends!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I've been using Yakumo for games, and online since I was 15, so.. lets just say over 10 years now wink

I never really particularly liked or felt attached to the nicknames I'd been called by others at school etc.

I'd felt at the time, it's not the nick that counts, it's what you make of it, choose something you like, and make it yours.

I chose Yakumo on a whim, I needed something, and didn't want to use my real name to play a game, I quite liked it and liked the character I took it from, it was years later I found out it's true meaning (eight clouds) which I also liked, but don't really feel it represents me any more. I really beleive in 'make it yours' but right now I guess I feel it's a little out of place, for the first time I feel perhaps it's not right for me, and where I'm going (wherever that may be..) and maybe I should try something a little different, I still sometimes attach 'unr' (from my old quake2/3 clan) to the end of it if 'Yakumo' is an unavailable choice, or if something requires a surname, but that is really a life I've long left behind now.

So that brings us to this topic, how did you chose your nick, how long have you used it? have you/do you change it? are you happy with it still? do you feel it represents you?

And to make more of a conversation of it,or if you don't want to talk about yourself, please comment if you can on how you feel about the nicks of other posters in this thread, (or any other HoP'er) and how well you feel their nick represents them smile

maybe I just feel I need a real, complete fresh start, bundled in with thoughts of maybe finally leaving where I've lived for 7 years. But with Spinners is where I want to stay smile

EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168351104)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
All my nicknames are:
Andy-what i call myself anyway
morris-my last name
mozzar-taken from my last name
mozzy-don't ask me why my science teacher decided to call me that
short guy-because that's what I am
bouncebounce
I like all of them biggrin

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
I chose yoni because it works well as a nickname, and also is my middlename. And someone had taken Max. Although have come to learn that there are many many ways to mispronounce it and confuse me :P

yakumo: personaly I always think of you as fraser which seems to suit you well, and when I do think of your display name I think it's yakumono as I seem to have trouble reading names I don't know and then having what I read stick in my mind.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Well, my original logon name was AngelPhoenix: Not out of any real previous use, but because I thought it sounded cool and fiery. But then, after a month or so of lurking, I decided it was a bit pretentious and reverted to LazyAngel. I'd been playing with that name since I was living in Angel Islington and considered myself to be a bit of a slacker. I enjoy making 'tag' versions of peoples names when a bit toasted, I can sometimes get really into it! Anyway, hence my avatar (which I've had for years, made it a year or two before I joined HoP)

And I haven't really been bothered to change much since: sig and title go through the odd metamorphoses but thats it! Although I have been accused of not being slack enough, but see my sig for my objections to changing my name..

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
He's been an angel for me ubblove

And so has his missus ubblove

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MolochSILVER Member
Shirt-Cocker Extraordinaire
47 posts

Posted:
My name is Moloch, out here you get a name "christened" unto you, as a raver name, my friend and I are both in to ginsberg's poetry and he called me Moloch, and i thought whjy not, i'll take it, most my firends have raver names, averyone has a story behind it, good times in colorado wink

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
87wt2gxq7: can i call you paste? it's so much easier than control v....

i always pronounced seye as si... or rather sigh, and not see, is that right? like... short for simon...

and i always pronounced yoni as yo-nee is that right or is it more of a younee? or yohnee?

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FoxInDocs

i always pronounced seye as si... or rather sigh, and not see, is that right? like... short for simon...

Yup thats it smile

I am one the million or so Simon's in the uk wink

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
well I've always pronounced it as yohnee :P

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
been called cat-cause i scratched a lot when i was younger
dupa-derogatory term of endearment (polish)
beccaa cause i like the name better than mary
mary mary, because my mother and grandmother were marys too
mother theresa or mother mary because i try and help everyone as much as i can when possible
faith because i have no fear voicing religion
in fire because ex's street name was phoenix and of course there is the hope of fire poi once i get up my courage

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Jon and Rouge: awww.... thanks guys! biggrin hug

I'll let Karen explain hers (in case I make a mistake) but I believe it has something to do with her Avengers obsession (and yes I do mean obsession) wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I was named the tea fairy by my friend Helen, who is now in China. I went to uni and worked with her and she called me the tea fairy because I make so many cups of tea, for myself and everyone else who's around when I happen to be making tea. I tend to get taken advantage of a little for it when I'm at work, but it doesn't feel right when I ask someone if they want a cuppa and they say no.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Kathain Bowen:
Because I needed a faux-name to ward against ren fest patron-stalkers (I was a rennie- and got stalkers). I needed something that, should a friend call me by my real name (*Kat), it wouldn't look weird.

Good Ol' Yarn For Hair:
My brother and I share a mutual friend and go to clubs with her. She loves it when I put yarn-y extensions in my hair and calls me this.

Pyro Slinky:
The same friend decided I needed a new name, something involving the word "slinky" on one drunken outing to the club.

Fire Fox:
Another friend is a Fire Fox browser lover. He likes my red hair (*even if it is fakely red) and my fox tail.... so... in his eyes.... I guess it just fit.

Kat (k@):
My real name is too formal (Kathryn). That, and I'm named after someone who's legacy I can't live up to. Not ever. So I decided not to bother and kept this name when my friend Bree decided in our freshman year of high school to dub me Kat. When I became a senior, the previous "K@" passed the title to me.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Pele: Contrary to popular belief it is not after the soccer player or the goddess. My friend grew up on Martinique at the base of Mt. Pele. The volcanoe tends to rumble but not really blow it's top, much like my temper (according to her) so she nicknamed me that long before I got into fire.
When I got into fire performing, it seemed appropriate and since has spanned all forms of my performing.

Lynnie: My real name is Starlynne. Most of my friends and many of my family call me Lynnie...and I *love* it. It is very me.

One of my friends calls me Sunshine. He says I brighten everyday. It's very sweet of him. Whether or not it's true...I'm not stopping him! lol

My dad calls me Angel. It used to be Pooh because when I was really little I didn't say my "L's" well and so when I said my name I called myself "Winnie" so he and all of his friends called me Pooh from that. I asked my mom to stop him when I was 11. From then he called me "Ugly" and so did his friends. Not a nice nickname, btw. In recent years, now that our hatchetts have been buried he's been calling me Angel.

I've been called alot of names (some by HoPpers at times! lol) and generally I answer to them all, however if I am not performing, in person I do prefer Lynnie but Pele will do just fine as well.

As for some of other names here on HoP, quite honestly, I don't know a tonne of the newer people to comment. But I can comment on the ones I know.

UCOF...I love the humor of it changing. That whole aspect seems to fit him very much.

NYC...OMG yes does this fit him! If I think of many of the NYC stereotypes I know of, he definately slides into several of them ubblol

Rouge Dragon...from speaking to her a bit off HoP, I can see that blush happening. wink I also thing she exibits the qualities that I think compose a dragon..strength, wisdom, honour.

Flash Fire...heck yeah! She blazes in and out...in person and in life.

Kombi Guy...if only you knew how accurate that name is! lol

Doc Lightning... You know, Doc, obviously fits but I've never felt the Lightning part as fitting for him. Lightning to me is not just something stunning to look at and electrifying, which he is, but it is harsh, quick and destructive...which is definately *not* Mike. *shrug*

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
aw, your's is a nice story too Pele. smile

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
tillymoo was a nickname given to me by a friend i worked with at woodford. he added moo to quite a lot of things, but this one kinda stuck. it is also my email address, and it's amazing how many people sometimes call me it - really random people like my trainer at work or mum's friends. but i don't mind - it's always done affectionatly.
tilly is the name i go by and it people seem very inclined to make nicknames out of it. i've had: tillymonster, tilly-biccie, tilly teapot, tils mils magills, da tillinator, tilla gorilla, tilla the spiller and many more i can't think of.
the irony is, tilly is already a nickname for matilda. being called matilda in australia is pretty harsh - i get "as in Waltzing?" quite a bit (for those not in oz, Waltzing Matilda is a Banjo Patterson poen/song which many regard as our unofficial anthem - odd seeing as though it is about a swagman stealing a sheep then drowning himself in the river when the police come to arrest him - dunno what that says about our national identity)

Written by: Mascot

(Refering to 87wt2gxq7)

Thats why people call you Control V which I find hilarious. Doesn't the name "Control V" indicate to you that people need a meaningful name to remember?

on a mac that would be *apple symbol* V!

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Drudwyn: Well, I found the furry subculture in the mid to late 90s, and chose my "fursona" *shudders* as something that was me. Something that reflected my personality and my outlook on life. So naturally I chose a dog, a mongrel to be exact (if that makes any sense). The name is taken from the Mabinogion, a dog that aided Arthur in his tasks, and me being me, a sucker for heroics, it became my online handle then. 10 years later, here I am, still the same old dog (learning new tricks biggrin), and the name has stuck.

Disco: During freshers week at uni, I partied hard, drunk lots, and danced my arse off. After a 6 hour rave at the Nexus, the guys who I lived with gave me the name Disco Dan, and now everyone knows me as that.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
awesome, that's two comments on that nick that amused me, I'm going to combine them...

87wt2gxq7, I re-dub thee "Apple Paste" ubbrollsmile ubblol hug

now lets see if I can get away with re-naming two people in one week :cheesy grin:

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
hehe i like it 87wt2gxq7 pron. applepaste

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks FoxinDocs! hug

Written by: Yakumo

awesome, that's two comments on that nick that amused me, I'm going to combine them...

87wt2gxq7, I re-dub thee "Apple Paste" ubbrollsmile ubblol hug

now lets see if I can get away with re-naming two people in one week :cheesy grin:

It's like..when applesauce goes bad! ubblol
It's awesome!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
ooo, nooo, I was definitely thinking of apple sauce, nothing bad or gone off ...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Rouge Dragon...from speaking to her a bit off HoP, I can see that blush happening. wink I also thing she exibits the qualities that I think compose a dragon..strength, wisdom, honour.

*je rougis* redface

hug

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
That's a pity, cos I love you ubblove

hug

ubbrollsmile

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Blu_valley was born out of my email address.

My real name is Lois, which my friends kept trying to shorten. Lo didn't really fit because I'm really tall and not Low at all, so they used to call me Lu...apart from one friend who called me babe( which I hated)..so it then became Babelu and then Blu...which suits me just fine.

The valley part came as I was trying to choose my email address. My full name had already been hijacked so I decided to go with Blu and I had just come back from the most amazing festival in a place called rustlers valley. I learnt a few lessons in that valley and a few truths hit home, so the valley part was defenitly me.

smile

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ooh! how cool! hug

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i started off with lost_jesta but it just didnt seem quite right for me, and i liked the combination of mr m in a name. after a bit of thought i found the word majestic (although i already knew it) and i loved the word and the grace and dignity it kind of implies, but also the fact it still contained the word "jest" which implies a sense of humor.. so mr majestic was for me. a bit later i decided aesthetically it looked better with a k instead of a c, it also meant i was less likely to find other people using the title. once when i was on msn with a friend he shortened it to mjk, which aesthetically i also like so i use that a lot too. later i founbd out mjk are the initials for the lead singer of tool, but oh well, it still means majestik to me smile

so here i am, mr majestik/mjk

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: tillymoo

- odd seeing as though it is about a swagman stealing a sheep then drowning himself in the river when the police come to arrest him - dunno what that says about our national identity)

i like the fact that he'd rather die free than live in prison. smile

waltzing matilda, she came from st. Kilda, her middle name was hilda and her daddy was a builder biggrin plue the scared littlies made an awesome rap version.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
yeah, thats the way i think the legend goes. Aussie mentality is we'd rather die than not have ourfreedom smile

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
even though we're slowly losing it anyway. smile

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Vampyric_Acid...I have never thought the name suited him, not ever, but then he tried to change it and it just wasn;t right...pretty much everyone demanded that he changed it back.

I think basically once you get to know a HOPper by a certain name, nothing else feels right.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
My nickname, Rovo, has quite a history and comes from my oh so screwed up childhood/teen years. My last name used to be Rovazzini, so friends when I was 11 or 12 started calling me Rovo for short and since it was a unique nickname I went with it. Then when I was 14 I found out someone else was my father (the story is way more complicated then that but there's no need to develope an entire Jerry Springer plot line on this forum)and my last name was changed to Bailey. My classmates and friends still called me Rovo even after the name change since it was my nickname before, and an easy one to remember at that. To me a name became just that, a name. It didn't matter what I was called because after the name change the person who I was inside didn't change, I realized my name was just a label for the being that is me.

Rovo as a nickname actually works out pretty well. Not once have I ever come across another Rovo in all my travels. It is easy to remember and spell and often enough people mistake it for Robo and I have to remind them I am not a cop and do not like to trip on Robitussin cough syrup.

The only downside is that I have to share names with this (sarcasm warning) "totally awesome and incredibly cool" band.

Does anyone think my next spinning video should have this song as it's soundtrack? ubblol

Peace, Love, Circles

Page: