Forums > Social Discussion > Now Illegal To Link To Other Websites.

Login/Join to Participate

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Illegal Linking

confused

rolleyes did i just break the law confused

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
That makes no sense. All they need to do is make it illegal to link sites with pirated content, which is pretty much how it is at the moment, eg most forum moderators will delete any links related to piracy.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
No, you didn't just break the law, but I could understand how you thought you might have, seeing as you get your news from paranoid, conspiracy theorist websites wink

It's really a case of the law being stupid, and hopefully judgements like this will remain in the realm of the absurd like the American RIAA suing children for vast sums of money for simply downloading songs.

It's just another publicity stunt from the bloated and overly self important music industry trying to scare us back into the record stores, nothing more....yet.

But if the authors over at Prison Planet want us to believe that this is the beginning of the end of the internet as we know it, then they'll have to factor in the idea that guys like me, won't stand for, and pay for, an internet that's solely comprised of advertising

another veiwpoint
EDITED_BY: Stout (1167332377)

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stout

then they'll have to factor in the idea that guys like me, won't stand for, and pay for, an internet that's solely comprised of advertising

ubblol i second that motion! .. well said smile

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
pk.... that article's awesome

Written by: prison planet

anyone who stuck a link on MySpace or on their bogs could now expect a knock on the door from its briefs

more toilet imagery to be found in all forms of internet journalism please...

as for the wild claim that

Written by: prison planet

The skids are clearly being greased for the mandated introduction of Internet 2, a tightly controlled, surveilled and regulated cyberspace police state run solely by telecommunications giants in consort with the U.S. government and the United Nations.

i can only presume this is the manifestation of someone's crack induced paranioa

Written by: wikipedia

Internet2 or UCAID (University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development) is a non-profit consortium which develops and deploys advanced network applications and technologies, for education and high-speed data transfer purposes. It is led by 208 universities [1] and partners with 60 companies in areas from the networking (Cisco Systems), publishing (Prous Science) and technology industries such as Comcast, Intel and Sun Microsystems.

I think internet2 started out in about 1996...

Written by: CBC News

Australian courts have attempted to claim jurisdiction over U.S.-based websites before.

ubblol ubblol ubblol

No one told me that the US has been invaded and subsumed by Australia...

Seriously though. The US is not subject to Ozzie laws, just as is isn't subject to the laws of Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan or North Korea.

Equally, and much to the dismay of the US Motion Picture Association of America, sites such as Sweedish bittorent tracker The Pirate Bay are not subject to US Digital Rights Management laws. For an interesting documentary about the US MPAA's attempts to shut down the Pirate Bay check out

steal this film

for some highly entertaining Sweedish rebuttals to (mainly US-based) corporate threats check out

pirate bay - legal threats

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
found this information for the UK

ooo they want to be like America.

This is what wikipedia had to say on the DMCA

DMCA according to wikipedia

Some of the following page made me laugh...

copyright myths... according to this guy pictured.. he looks like that guy from the jedi video on youtube.

[Quote]Postings to the net are not granted to the public domain, and don't grant you any permission to do further copying except perhaps the sort of copying the poster might have expected in the ordinary flow of the net.[/Quote]

My question... so if one person posts a Dreamworks movie to the net... i can then make unlimited copies and distribute them? that in MHO is the general and normal flow of the "net"

not that i have ever participated in such doings or condone them smile just a theoretical question.

rolleyes

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
PK, the answer to your question may be relevant to jurisdiction more than anything else. I'm not sure about movies though.

A good example is YouTube..when they first started up, they were willing to host almost anything, but as the copyright/trademark holders caught wind of what YouTube was doing, their threats of legal action forced a change in YouTube's policy. As it is now, if a copyright owner asks YouTube to remove a file, YouTube will gladly comply.

And really, that's where the liability for sharing copyrighted files should lie, with the website that hosts the offending files, not somebody merely linking to the material.

Another interesting question regarding copyright is ' Who owns the copyright to posts made here on HoP ? " If I took the OP on this thread and used it to start another thread, on another board. would I be liable? and who to ? the poster, or the board ? or both ? Now suppose I copied the post and reprinted in a book I intended to publish and sell ? Would that be different? I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is there'd be a difference in the two cases. ( one being for personal use, the other being for commercial )

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
this is the thing duristriction is a big key factor.. how many websites such as youtube have international visitors, specifically due to the lack of text information to translate...

secondly forums are a whole other part as it is dealing with text.

As far as i would understand it, my post is my personal expression and i can control that given the means by the site owner to do as i choose, they how ever can do as they please also and by terms and agreements that i as the poster have abided to give them that use, with or without monetary gains.

(forums normally state that posters comments remain theirs and not the sites).

see myspace terms and agreements... what you post they can use!... looks at all of the bands on there, if they are the real bands say for instance " boy hits car " .. i'd have thought that the " record label " owned rights to their songs?? confused
That i do not understand... but i do understand that they have just " by posting " given myspace unlimited rights to their music, IF it was the " band " that posted and not some 14 year old in so cal.

Not sure how laws work internationally i know that if i dont pay my LOAN to the bank in ENGLAND whilst i live in ITALY they can take me to court here... or so thats what they told me when i didnt pay it for 6 months and then sent it to debt collectors with out notification and told me after i had made a flight back to the UK to deal with it in person. confused

oh the confussion. confused