Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
anti-spin doubles patterns.

Parallel:

Parallel Same-Time. (like reels but anti-spun) + turns etc.

Parallel one high one low. (hands go out come back on opposite level to start, all anti-spin then isolate back round to start position. - You can try and anti-spin this entirely, but I think an arm has to pass through the other to make it clean. Isolate for the win.)

Parallel weaves. Forwards and reverse, 2 and three beat versions. Perhaps simian has some higher order weaves.

Parallel high/low turn. Turn to the other direction, or turn all the way around.

Parallel 'flowers'. Both staffs doing anti-spin on either side of your body, out of time. (on hand is up while the other is down etc.)

Parallel flowers with 2 beat anti-spin. Doing parallel high/low one hand starts to do a beat behind you, the other one does the behind the back beat when it gets to it's side of the body...

Butterfly:

Butterfly Same-Time Anti-Spin. Arms want to almost go through each other but don't.

Butterfly anti-spin one high one low: where you form a 'point' and pull it horizontally from one side to the other. Turns easily. You can also pull this point diagonally, or vertically.

Butterfly weaves - 1 beat weaves can be pulled around in circles and one staff will anti-spin, the other won't. Works with other weaves also.

Butterfly flowers with 2 beat anti-spin. Coming out of high/low, the two ends of the staff split apart and one goes behind you to do an extra beat, the other does it's own thing for a bit, before going behind you.

Things you can do with anti-spin:

* practise with the various different hand positions: the staff has two ends, you then have four 'ways' of doing each anti-spin pattern. thumb ends pointed toward each other, pinky ends, or the two versions of pinky and thumb pointed toward each other. Some patterns feel really different with pinky ends in I find, but aren't much harder. (harder only because I haven't practised as much with that end.)

* Then you can flick the ends by doing a quick half 'spin' (yeah a spin!) and be in the same pattern, but with the opposite ends pointing at each other.

* do a BTH beat / anti-spin instead of a normal one.

* find a nice place to transition to other forms of anti-spin, isolation or change direction into bfly anti-spin / iso.

* snaking up you hand and then doing anti-spin is occasionally fine, sometimes quite difficult.

* doing a quarter (or half) or anti-spin then isolation then anti-spin then isolation etc. You don't need to snake your wrist or go btb like normal anti-spin with this, so it has a lot of new possibilities. Putting a half spin of isolation into many anti-spin patterns makes for many many many new patterns.

* Do different shapes of anti-spin, triangle pentagon... etc...

* Do different timeings, quarter time for example. Quarter time weave, or whatever.

Interesting patterns people have already found:

* Switching ends is fun! Particularly in bfly high/low, switching the ends that make the 'point'. But you can also do it in parallel high/low. Probably in same-time anti-spin also.

* Most of these patterns can go BTH. But BTH has it's own set of rules, like it has to go BTH on the high side of the anti-spin, it can't go BTB and still do a one beat anti-spin. (Since your arm can go over your head.) This constrains some of the patterns you can do. Plus you have to sometimes 'set up' for a BTH anti-spin. (for reverse anti-spin at least.)

* I believe the french guys like doing parallel weaves with BTH beats. I've only practised this a little.

* Instead of having the isolated transition in parallel high low go from vertical to vertical, you can do it from horizontal to horizontal.

* atomics! and other plane based fun fun fun.

Things I just thought of:

* Switching just one end should take you into a different pattern. Maybe from same time to high/low...

* Doing BTH butterfly anti-spin with switching ends BTH.

* Doing anti-spin flowers and switching ends. That'd be fun.

* You can also do anti-spin flowers and go BTH.

bit rough, I'll tidy it up in a bit.

EDITED_BY: mcp (1165938749)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Sorry Mum...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ubblol *screeches* I am andwew lloyd webbbber

sorry that was on TV last night and I nearly wet myself.
oops derailing...

I did like your Triangles vid meg. although a bit complicated for me.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Which malaman video confused

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
f*ck off meg, don't be so gay wink

all i was trying to do was point out that you have released lots of videos showing relative isolations and calling them antispin variations.

now go and make my dinner.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
well done, you've wound me up.

They contain relative isolations, but also, both staffs are anti-spinning, so how are they not anti-spin variations? Tell me that.

then you can eat my hat.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
no. they don't.

they're only apparent antispin: relative to the other staff, not to themselves.

i'm not saying they're not cool, or good, i'm just being a fussy eater and reading the label and getting confused.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmm. your hat tastes of... badgers.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
incidentally, malamans video is, as you say, awesome, and has made me want to learn stuff....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
no they're not 'apparent' anti-spin or anti-spin in relation to the other staff. (how would that work?)

They are anti-spin. The staff is spinning one way, your hand is making a circle in the other direction. It may not be making as big a circle as normal, but it's both making a circle, and the circle is going round in the opposite direction to the spin of the staff, hence ANTI-SPIN.

I personally don't think my arms are long enough even with short sticks to do some of the patterns as relative isolations but not anti-spun. I'm gonna give it a shot in wall plane thou.

eat my hat bi-yatch.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i think antispin can start to become a misleading definition once you start moving an antispun pattern around. I think cole called it third order antispin patterns or something like that.

Also saying "antispin" has this assumption of a repeating regular pattern built into it that can make wobbly definitions start falling apart if, for example, you don't complete a full rotation of the second order.

i've started trying to include the words "kind of" and "sort of" into all my definitions, as inbuilt fuzziness brings a simple end to this kind of disagreement, sort of.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
The only example I can think of your (undefined) 'third order' antispin patterns is you moving the bfly anti-spin pattern in a big circle, on LAB WoW.

Which you'll notice, I cunningly didn't mention in the first post.

Cunning, i know.

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Damnit, the ww antispin's been done before frown When will I EVER make up a trick that's historically original!

Great video, thanks for the link biggrin

3,149 posts

Posted:
thats an example, but... well... erm
BAH! i don't like posting about antispin. i can't make myself understood even when i'm actually waving sticks at people, so using words only makes matters worse.

this is one reason that your pattern list is ace :yay:

You've left out messing with 'phase', eg what direction a staff is pointing at the start of the pattern - what turns crosses into boxes etc...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you're right, I haven't tried setting bfly anti-spin phasers on 'box'...

I also like this:

fear the giant picture!

Non-Https Image Link

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

thats wicked (as is the list, incidentally, please note that i do appreciate it lots hug )

so. not antispun anti spins.

all the time when the arm is travelling in a straight line, not an antispin circle.

staff looks like its antispun, but does not follow the definition of arm in one direction, staff in the other. hence 'apparent antispin'

*regurgitates hat*

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

so. not antispun anti spins.

all the time when the arm is travelling in a straight line, not an antispin circle.

staff looks like its antispun, but does not follow the definition of arm in one direction, staff in the other. hence 'apparent antispin'

*regurgitates hat*

This is what I call 'trammel' after Archimedes trammel. and yes, it does look a lot like retarded anti-spin. If you watch 'THE LAB' again you'll see it labeled as 'trammel'.

But more to the point, NONE of the moves in the first post ARE trammel / apparent anti-spin / retarded anti-spin.

Put the hat back in and try and get it into your second stomach this time....

The only move in this thread that is trammel is the buzzsaw plane bfly anti-spin, and only when the staffs are the correct length for it.

3,149 posts

Posted:
that IS nice - who did it?

bloo - i reckon your definition of antispin is unnecessarily hand centred.
if the hand is travelling in a straight line to produce a linear wick isolation, then the point of the staff between hand and isolating wick is moving in a circle in the opposite direction to the rotation of the staff, hence there's still antispin involved.

thing is, you may have a point in that most of my "antispin" stuff doesn't move the staff centre in a circle, but instead in the shape of polygons with sides that curve inward (curvy diamonds/circles cut into sections and turned inside out)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
it says on it: Ge from light-motion and feuershow.de

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

but you've never explained anywhere else what a trammel is. so i rest my case.

i never once said that the things in this thread had anything to do with my point, muppet. in fact i think i specifically said that they didn't, and that i liked them.

offtopic and proud biggrin

monkey: possibly, yes, but in a sense i'm just playing devils advocate to make meg explain herself better ubblol

*takes hat from head, and forcefully jams it into the nearest mcporifice that presents itself*

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I made a video showing it! Was that not enough explanation! ubblol hug

read the anti-spin weaves thread with all the pictures and tell me if trammel isn't explained in that.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

*takes hat from head, and forcefully jams it into the nearest mcporifice that presents itself*

DO be careful...

Non-Https Image Link

Hmmmm, could you antispin a black hole?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
no. shan't.

ubblol

i shall remain ignorant and indignant, in the style of NYC. ( wink )

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
will at least quit trying to get that hat in my ear! It won't fit I tell you!

not even with bambi eyes:

Non-Https Image Link

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'm sure me strugz and blue cat were discussing some of your antispin definitions the other day and they didn't SEEM to be any anti going on....

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
we've just discussed that, foolish lee...

and, mop? i'm gonna kick yo ass for not producing a dvd.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
since when did I have to produce a DVD, mr uberstaff thorburn?

I'm not going to make a video, but I might list times for various ones in imakokode's and malamans videos. And maybe mine too.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
redface so I wasn't imagining that convoluted discourse you 2 were cogitating over, I just couldn't understand a word you were saying wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Saw this, thought of you.

Non-Https Image Link

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
ooooh... I want one...!!

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Page: