Masqueradenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I just started staffing, currently ive got a 4 foot staff that im practicing with. Ive noticed that it gets tiring really quick, and I was wondering if there is a training regiment anyone could recommend.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
slow it down and stop spinning like a mentalist ubblol

i don't think there is a training regiment really it's just something you build upto

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
erm....... keep spinning smile

4 years down the line you will go for days biggrin

ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

slow it down

prob the best advice ever

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No, surely the best advice ever is "Dont play leapfrog with unicorns"? umm

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Practise everything in both hands, in both directions. It will help to keep you balanced and you wont develop repetitive stress as much from always doing the same thing, in the same hand.

Whats the staff made from? I have two 1.4m Aliminium staffs and find the weight ok. Though I do remember my arms getting tired in the beginning.

If you feel your muscles getting tired then try working a differrent move that doesnt hurt for a while...

Try doubles smile That'll learn ya wink

Love is the law.

DavidJNolanPrecision instrument of speed and aromatics
240 posts

Posted:
Get yourself a stupidly heavy staff and train with that for a bit. It will build up your muscles so your normal staff is easy.

Hurts a bit if you hit yourself tho

Not a spinner!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I agree, my staffs are quite heavy and that helps, but I agree with ravehead *shudder* slow it down and go for precision more than speed.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

jackyneoSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
sometime u should be keep moving and your hand will not get tired so easly...if you are keep doing the same thing your hand will get tired for sure,just keep doing other patten that will make u spin much more longer..

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Just going to chuck my 2p in...

Personally if I was new to staff I wouldn't use a heavy staff until I'd been spinning for a while and had good technique down. - otherwise you risk doing serious damage to your wrist as the muscles won't have built up...

Don't forget, staff (and poi) are both pretty physical, so if you've not been doing much other exercise before you'll find it pretty knackering smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

blazed_scoobynewbie
16 posts

Posted:
slow it down find a few local staff spinners then watch and learn

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Spin faster!!!!!
Really really fast biggrin
For longer!
Twice as long!!!
Push yourself!!!
Beat the pain!!!!!
Be the best you can be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Zolgar_the_InsaneSILVER Member
22 posts

Posted:
Well, I am clearly no expert on this matter:

But I agree, get a heavier stick to work with when practicing, you'll build up more muscle and your light staff will feel like nothing when you're working with it.

Do make sure to stay in practice with the light one too. Because it will respond differently..

Also a plus, is when you've smacked yourself with a heavy stick alot, you'll find the light stick doesn't hurt as much. wink

There's a fine line between genius and insanity.

.... I ran away from the genius side.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

Practise everything in both hands, in both directions. It will help to keep you balanced and you wont develop repetitive stress as much from always doing the same thing, in the same hand.

Whats the staff made from? I have two 1.4m Aliminium staffs and find the weight ok. Though I do remember my arms getting tired in the beginning.

If you feel your muscles getting tired then try working a differrent move that doesnt hurt for a while...

Try doubles smile That'll learn ya wink

this is what you should listen to wink

just practicing more doing different moves and you'll build up the muscles. if you get a staff thats too heavy you can risk straining something or injury by hitting yourself.

most importantly SLOW IT DOWN. precision makes it less tiring.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
be slow and if you get stuck on something move on, otherwise you'll tire out those muscles and then feel worse,
use both hands (stupid me my right arm hurts)for equal development, maybe even practice with your weak hand more

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Some good advice here. I would advise against going straight to a heavy staff though, i did this when i first started spinning and caused some fairly serious back strain.
Also its a really good idea to warm up before spinning so you are less likly to pull/ strain anything and you will keep the muscles you are excercising suple and not get all achey after.

"Don't do it naked!"

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ditto good call
and don't do1move too often as you will overwork 1muscle group andmaybe strain yourself

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

3,556 posts

Posted:
oooh but that is how i get the muscle memory

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
true but you should work other muscle groups whilst you rest the ones you used repeatedly. building 1 set of muscles with the detrimrement of others can cause disalignment or if you Build the muscles unevenly (we are talking large) then you can look like a weirdo wink )

3,556 posts

Posted:
me and large muscles, now that is funny ubblol

Faith

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
2 peices of advice,listen or ignore them at your will

dont work in advertising it will eat away at your soul(sorry dude my mum is a hippy)

pick your own speed and style of twirling

good luck
tim

3,556 posts

Posted:
i shouldn't work in advertising...i was planning on working in advertising? but it's fun telling people what to buy, and since i have christian values... *insert evil laugh*

do they sell foam tape, my head hurts

Faith

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
on a more serious note,
i strongly advise stretching and some cardio exercises befdore you start practising and more stretches and slow movements to warm down after training

3,556 posts

Posted:
i was being serious...do they sell foam tape, i panic duck and hit my head often

Faith

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
lol
pain is a great teacher,but you could try pipe lagging or carpet pieces

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
Faith, Home depot or walmart should have foam pipe insulation, actualy I'm shure I have some laying around my garage you could use for that.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.