Forums > Help! > My PC won't recognise my MP3 player, no music makes me sad :0(

Login/Join to Participate

jimiwhiteheatnewbie
12 posts

Posted:
Just hoping any of you clever computer chaps might be able to help. My computer wont recognize my creative 20gb mp3 player. The creative help-line, only suggests to up-grade my BIOS and or chipset - which I have no idea how to do!. I have also been told it may be because I don't have the service pack2 update. I can't download this because I have a copied windows XP pro * hangs head in shame*. So please can anyone help me (in really basic terminology) how to get round this problem, or do I have to do the right thing and buy a licensed XP package. Thank you for any advice. redface

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Get a copy of Notmad explorer (the free version can't copy files from mp3 players, but can copy to them).

Windows Media Player relies on SP2 things to work fully, and the version recommended for Creatives is 10.

I've got a Zen Vision:M, and it can be a PITA trying to get Windows to recognise it, even with SP2.

Just make sure you've got it plugged into the motherboard USB ports, and not a hub, and if you can't get it to work on USB2, it may work on USB1, just a lot slower.

Creative recommend BIOS and chipset upgrades because some of the earlier USB2 chipsets don't work properly, so the mp3 player won't be found. I've got a cheap USB2 card for my laptop that refuses to work with the Zen.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hi Jimi

If it's the 20gb zen touch I might be able to help you (I don't know if this advise applies to other creatives too) as I had this problem when I got mine.

The zen touch doesn't work as a remote plug in drive unless you have either:

a) Loaded the software (Nomad explorer) that came with the player onto your computer, in which case only your computer, and others with the Nomad Explorer, will recognise it.

or

b) have downloaded the latest firmware for the player.

I'd recommend downloading the latest firmware from Creative, it's free and easy to find with a quick google. Then you can just plug it into any computer as a extra drive through USB2 (and probably USB1)

And you won't have to worry about upgrading to service pack II either.

Yey I get to give geeky pooter advice!! eek bounce

Let's relight this forum ubblove

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
ooh.. i had this problem with my zen micro and i even had a fully installed windows xp with service pack 2, and all the latest updates, the whole shebang... turns out i was missing some stupid plugin, which i can't remember what it is at the moment, it's on my computer at home.

But tip: if you download anything, make sure you completely uninstall the player in the device manager, because it won't update until you do that and then reinstall with the software provided.... that frustrated me for a while cos nothing seemed to work... if i find anything else whn i get home i'll let you know

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

jimiwhiteheatnewbie
12 posts

Posted:
Thank you Polarity and Dunc, I'm off home to try out your kind advice. wave
Athough, I'm a bit grumpy now as I upgrade my USB1 to USB2 because I got a warning message saying the Zen would run slow on the USB1 - and I thought perhaps that's why it wasn't recognizing it as my putar is oldie -oldie-old - so that was 15squid down the drain! censored

The Zen is a photo sleek. I reinstalled the software sooooooo many times!
I felt like getting out the ol' vinyl and cranking up the turntables - but couldn't work out how fix them to the bike! umm smile
Will let you know how I get on. Thanks!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i u paid for USB2 speed, and u want to work with lots of muzak more, quickly, then the USB2 option is best.
cheep USB2 upgrades give u at least 2-4 ports for so little money it's not worth weeping over.
mp3 players are the shizzles

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

artindorilmember
117 posts

Posted:
don't worry bout the usb 2 upgrade, it'll make the world of difference

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I had the problem of my zen microphoto being compleatly wiped and then no longer being recoqnised by my computer, even after software reinstallation. I then found the firmware and installed that and it solved all my problems, it seems to be the best fix. Glad its not just me that seems to be messing up their player though!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
ubblol if you look somewhere in the mp3/ipod woes thread there is the legacy of whole debacle with my micro, which i managed to wipe and reformat in the space of a week of getting it. Sounds like you had the exact same problem as me smile

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
it could be a gyppy battery, had problems with a friends that vanished completely when they changed to their spare battery.

alternatively , hopefully it's just cluttered ex hardware drivers, had it several times with creative kit, this is rather techy but can be dealt with thus, please be careful :

add an environment variable in advanced system properties

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"

set it to "1"

have your creative thinger NOT connected.

load up the device manager, turn on show hidden devices. I'm going to say this now as it's really important : DON'T TOUCH GREYED OUT DEVICES IN THE "NETWORK ADAPTERS" section unless it's a physical network card you KNOW you've removed.

same goes for anything in "Sound, video and game controllers".

most other greyed out things can be safely removed as they're not hardware or drivers you use any more, and they would be re-detected and reinstalled automatically if you did.

any greyed out graphic yellow question marked devices can be safely deleted. anything in the "Universal Serial Bus Contollers" section that's greyed out can go unless its for hardware you know you still use, that just isn't connected at them moment.

turn the environment variable to 0 so no one else messes up your PC.

reconnect creative thinger, it should detect it and prompt you to reinstall things as necessary.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Or just put this in a text file, and rename it to devmgr.cmd

Code:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start %systemroot%\system32\devmgmt.msc

Saves pushing loads of buttons and hunting for the device manager.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I have right click my computer - manage on autopilot :-/

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin