Forums > Social Chat > And Ucof is Go! Go! Go! to Australia

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
bounce2
uh-huh uh-huh! biggrin

Just booked the tickets, my new passport should be with me within a week and when it arrives I can apply for the online visa.
Details are as follows:

Leave London Heathrow 24th September 22:30 - Arrive ADELAIDE on 26th September 11:30
Leave SYDNEY 27th November.

So its two months of seeing you lovely lot ubblove

My plans are as follows:
Go to Australia.
Work way up SE coast staying with as many friends as possible.
Return to England 2 months on.

and thats about it, Ive spent ages thinking of what to do, then realised you would all know anyway. So, like Lightning did in London, im leaving myself in your hands ( umm ) If you reckon something would be good to do or see then tell me and I'll see if I can.

I want to go to lots of spinning meetings.
I want to meet as many of you as possible.
I wish to chase Bender naked through a field of corn. umm
I want to spend some time doing nothing on a beach.

Im going to this Common Ground thing too. Is there a spare tent/ space anywhere for me to squeeze into please? The JonCof International Tent Errecting Service, Mobile Skinning Up Workstation and Hug Distributor should also be fully functional. ubbangel
Can I get some sleeping space on the floor/ sofa/ spare room/ compost heap at your house please? *flutters eylids*

My questions:
Is CG like Play (99% HOPpers only)? or is it more of a public event where the average Joe Human will be walking around? umm
What will the weather generally be like for the duration of my stay?
Is there cake in Australia?
Can John Howard collect me from the airport in a monster truck?

Would it be worth me bringing my laptop to put all my pictures from my phone onto and to change the music collection on my phone? Reckon you this is a silly idea and I should just get a digital camera and a MP3 player instead?

Can I meet Crocodile Dundee? Can I? Can I?
Who is Bruce? confused

I assume I will need a plug convertor for any electronic equipment I bring. Can this be confirmed? This is a code red situation. I dont want to bring my white noise generator with me only to find out I cant plug it in anywhere.

I will probably have more questions at a later date of a serious nature, but I think thats all the major ones I need. Thanks everyone hug2 kiss

Oh, and by the way, I have NO interest in watching the Ashes in November ubblol

bounce Im very excited! bounce

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
ooo cool...I don't know you ..but soon I will smile

hug me!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Jonny you lucky boy!! bounce hug will miss you over here boyo!! bounce2

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I did have plans to come to Oz for a Year in October but that has been postponed for at least a year (other things need doing before then)

Shame Jon... could've been 'roomies' rolleyes

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey jonny!

ill have enough tent space for you at CG, and ive got a bed if u need it in melbourne.

do u want me to organise a CG ticket for you?

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Hey Mister! I can answer a few of those questions

It depends what you're into really....Talk to Dave about climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge!

You're welcome here although it's not very exciting and I'm the only HoPper in my town! (It's 2 hours from Melb) But yeah I can totally come hang out with you in Melb if you have the time. I'm assuming you'll be coming to a Sunday spinning meet? ubbangel

I reckon last year's CG was about half and half.

The weather will be on the warmer side I think...you may melt.

Yes you will need a powerpoint plug converter thingy

smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
due to hot weather expected at this time of the year, it is suggested you dress like this

smile

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
That was bound to come up at some point in this thread... ubblol

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
figured id put it in sooner rather than later rolleyes

there is alot of cake in australia, and ill get working on that john howard thing tomorow smile

hug

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
So I guess Perth is not on the agenda, it being very Westish... frown frown

We have wombats, imported admittedly, that you can stroke and not get bitten by. If it didnt bite Ben I reckon you are safe from being peed and bitten. ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

We do have a house full of small people who will mostly ignore you unless they find you interesting and then they will plague you with childrenity.

Maybe Ry can take a pic of you and we can photo thingy you on a camel and with a wombat ubbidea

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
bounce

right! so you HAVE to come to moonfest!! october moonfest is saturday 7th - that would probably be a great one to get to!! biggrin the november one is a sunday (5th). weekend moonfests are always BIG! & you will get to meet LOTS of hoppers & other random lovely people at moonfest! smile

& the beach isn't far from here...there's the gorgeous sunshine coast which has plenty of beaches for you to lie on & do nothing & it's only an hour from brisbane! biggrin or you can go to the fake beach at southbank in the city! ubblol or there's the gold coast, but we won't talk about that.

bruce is my uncle. he's a very large, very smart man who lives in sydney & has interesting friends. ubbloco

you will melt when you come to brisvegas. that's why we have air conditioners. you thought the heatwave in the uk was bad? that's a mild summer here! ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
I'd say mostly hoppers at cg, maybe not active ones though, but prolly 70% ish i'm just guessing though.

the weather will be hot. today we had a high of 25 degrees in whyalla (400k's north of adelaide - where common ground is) and it will only get hotter.

there is lots of cake in australia, we even have our own national favourite cake - the lamington.

John howard won't talk to rove mcmannis (host of channel 10's rove live), i don't think he's going to talk to you.

i'd say bring the laptop. but i'm a geek. and yes, you'll probably need a converter.

don't know about dundee.

bruce is the shark from finding nemo. or alternatively a good friend of my mother's.

MiG and i have plenty of couch space for you out here, as i'm sure i've stated elsewhere. we love hoppers to visit us!

We'll have miss rouge for the week before cg, that still leaves two futon's open.

we are the only hoppers in town, but we have a 12 foot sail boat from which it's quite likely you'll be able to see some dolphins and some awesome beaches to do nothing on.

we're also alot closer than adelaide is to the flinders ranges, a beautiful mountain range that's always worth a look smile

pm or msn if you're interested.

EDIT: Oh, and we also now have a really cute puppy.
EDITED_BY: FoxInDocs (1157455684)

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
You can buy plug converty thingers in australia, so fret not.

You have alreadyfreddy been booked into chalet flynt (wherever that may be by the time you get here...) so accomodation in melbourne = sorted.

I should have tent space for you, I'll confirm that after I buy a tent on friday. Are you bringing any sleeping gear (sleeping bag, mat ect) with you, or do we need to organise that for you for CG as well?

Now for some of my own questions:
Do you have your own toothbrush?
Will you bring me hugs from Bovril?
Who will be naked, you or Bender?
Do you have any weird dietry needs?
What are your exact physical dimensions, incase we decide to keep you and need to build some sort of keeping pen?

xoxoxxoxoxo SEE YOU SOON!!!! ubblove

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Oh.My.God.I'm.So.Jealous. wink

bounce hug sunny

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
*jealous*

Written by: Roarfire

The weather will be on the warmer side I think...you may melt.

O he needn't worry about that, his uber white body shall reflect any harmful rays wink tongue

ubbangel

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
*adds 8 litres of sunscreen to checklist for cg to share with ucof as she also has reflectively white skin*

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
*adds sunglasses to CG checklist to protect her eyes from all these reflective people*

actually I think I am a bit reflective myself smile

hug me!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Tent space from me.
Floor space from me.(May hopefully have a couch by then too)
Random sillies from me.

Not that I'm offering anything that the others aren't offering anyways.

Altho if you would like to get your gear off and put on a wig and hula skirt, I will most willingly arrange another party for you to do it at! wink

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
we have a happy small spinning meet in Hobart every tuesday evening that you're more than welcome to come along to. and Tassie is the perfect place to sit around on a beach/in a shack just kicking back and relaxing. weather will be SUMMERY! biggrin Bruce is my dad.

come to TASSIE!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Jon,
Want to do a shark dive? smile

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
whee! shall be awesome to meetya sir! hug

*crossing fingers for the awesome CG weather we had last year*

ubbrollsmile

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Plug adapters are available in your friendly neighbournood ASDA for about £1.50.

If you're going to Sydney, I thoroughly reccommend climbing the bridge (you might even get to do it in the dry, unlike me) its all bookable online here.

If you happen upon Steph's place, you can make use of the summer dress sense displayed above (assuming she's not thrown it out by now).

When you apply for your visa online, make sure they actually sort it for you, so you don't turn up at Heathrow only to be told you've got no visa on your passport, like I did. It'll save you censored yourself. ubblol

You're gonna love it!

biggrin

Most importantly of all:

Be sure to hug people for me!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Brilliant answers, and thanks for all the fish ubbrollsmile

Update: Passport was attempted delivery but as we dont know when people try to deliver stuff (we ant see the gate to our moorings), I missed them and so I have to contact them to arrange a redelivery.

As soon as that is done, I will get the Visa, and that should leave me over about a week for the visa to come through before I fly off.

Im concocting/ compling a list of people in each place, so I can point at you and say "I know where you liiiive!" wink

Ezz- Thats the second time you have said you dont know me ubblol You may need councilling to help forget me. ubbangel I was once decribed as the London equivilent of Mech. That was a while ago now, so I dont know if its a fair comparision. I know he for one has calmed down a lot recently wink

Pete - Thanks for the offer of the ticket, but it isnt needed, I will be getting Roarfire's instead (if she doesnt go), and if she does go, its sorted anyway. hug2 I cant wait to sit on your giraffe though wink confused

Roarfire - You had beeter be coming CG missy! spank If not, I'll have to arrange a later date to see you. ubblol I willindeed be at a Sunday spinning meeting. ubbrollsmile

Gnor - Unfortunatly, Perth is indeed a little out of the way. And without being rude or inpolite, its a little too much trouble, as well as money for me to head that way to see you and your family. I would love to though at some point, so I will see whats happening towards the end of the trip and if my bank account will allow it. hug2

Gita: that moonfest thing sounds great. I didnt know there was a festival celebrating me! eek wink If I can, I will be at both, but I will have to see where Im at in terms of location. I would love to come to a Moonfest! bounce

FoxinDocs: I'll be bringing my laptop and phone then. biggrin This Lamington sounds good, whats inside it? i dont need John Howard to talk to me, just drive me from the Airport to the first HoPpers house ubblol As much as I would love to head up to you for the week before CG, I think that "doing" Adelaide would be useful, possibly so I can head off to a new place after CG. I shall have to see when I get there though. Your boat is particularly tempting smile As are the mountains. Good idea on the sunscreen!

Flynty: kiss thanks biggrin I will have a sleeping bag and roll mat, and lots of other camping stuff. I should be ok to organise my stuff myself, unless you think of something you think I wont think of. umm

Do you have your own toothbrush? - Yes confused

Will you bring me hugs from Bovril? - See above

Who will be naked, you or Bender? - Either, Both or Neither wink

Do you have any weird dietry needs? - I only eat egg and bacon sandwiches. Other than that, not really. Im not alergic to anything, so its more a question of personal taste.

What are your exact physical dimensions, incase we decide to keep you and need to build some sort of keeping pen? I have height, width and depth amongst others. On my own, Im nothing.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Rouge Dragon: Thank you for the offer of space. Thankfully you wont be far away as I can see the stars from here wink I may have to pass on the wig and hula skirt though! wink Depends how drunk I get I suppose beerchug

Mr majestik: I'll get back to you about the Tazmania. I think we would get on rather well... biggrin and I can meet Bruce!

Patrick: Hell yeah! biggrin *nods head violently*

Adya Miriyana: I will indeed be a pleasure meeting all the people I have known for years, but never met biggrin hug2

Bird: Cool, thanks for all that info. I'll have to find an asda before I go. You Bristoling? Can I borrow yours if you dont need it?

Thanks once again for all the help and info guys ubblove

I will be putting lots of my music and video files on my website for me to have access to when I get to Australia, so please make sure to poke me to have a look at what I have to offer biggrin

ubbrollsmile

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
huzzah! i just cant wait to hug you!! xoxoxoxo

Currently on the right side up of the world.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Ooo, oo. Go tropical.

It's worth getting a couple of nights on a maxi yaught around the Whitsundays; you can book a three night cruise for about $400 in any of the Airlie Beach backpackers (don't stay in them though; bedbugs. I know from personal experience).

Go and see the platypus frolic at Broken River in Eungella National Park, you can cool off in the rockpools and waterfalls of Finch Hatton, where crayfish nibble at your knees, and if you're very lucky you can sit on an eel (personal experience again).

On the last friday of the month you can get a free tour around Peak Downs Mine (which is fighting Goonyella for the title of Oldest Coal Mine in Australia), and see the the world's biggest dragline.

Ever wonder how sugar is refined? Wonder no more with a mill tour in Mackay.

Go chase the cassowaries up at Mission Beach.

But don't go in the water; it's stinger season. Ouch.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hello UCOF!!! wave

you know you are sorted for Brisbane. hug
Everything Gita said plus you can stay at mine if you like, and Gita and lots of other friendlies live just down the road..

See you soon!First CG then here.

HUGS
Gabe

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Oh wow! this is like totally exciting, n stuff!

bounce

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
jonny? Me too? come stay with us for a bit? please? hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Eera, having checked the location of the Whitsundays, and have found that they are near the great barrier reef. That was something I was hoping to see..

I also need a picture of me standing next to a sign that says "Wollongong" ubblol

Newgabe: Hello Gabe! wave That would be lovely, thanks kiss This time, im bringing my music devil

Rouge: I know! bounce How do you think I feel?!?! ubblol

How much is an Australian SIM card? I'll need one for my phone.

Im planning on having phone connected to laptop for email access when and wherever needed.

Page: ...