Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Awesome moves that amaze the audience

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ElectricStaplernewbie
33 posts

Posted:
Ive been doin poi for ahwile, it all seems pretty easy, but lately ive been getting bad cuz im all lazy about it. it would be cool to have a list of all the extremely cool moves that amaze the audience. i really need somehing new to practice. If you have something a cool move to post, name it and describe it. add a vid if possible.
Thanks

oh and sorry if there have been threads about this.

Life is a box full of chocolates. Its full of the gross coconut ones.

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
in all honesty, do a 3bt or 5bt weave really fast.

it seems to amaze people more than anything else!

chris19SILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
Unfortnuately that's true. If you want something a bit mor difficult you can try to swing your Poi in all possible ways through your legs. If it's light enough for the audience to see it, that will also amaze them. Bringing fire near to the body without hurting you is the thing (spirals or wraps for example).

twirling greets

chris

Think but never worry for tomorrow will come anyway

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Burnoffs! ^_^

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
1. be a girl
2. wear less clothes
3. wiggle lots

tongue

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

1. be a girl
2. wear less clothes
3. wiggle lots

4. Beware of Fraggles. ubbangel

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
buzzsaw isolations seem to go down well.

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Isolated weave. It is one of the few technical moves that a normal audience will be able to see, and it boggles their minds. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Speaking of which... I can do Isolations pretty damn well, and weave up to 5 ( 6 and 7 with wraps )... I still don't quite understand how you keep the poi isolated when you cross your hands over each other. confused

Tis might not be the best thread for this question sorry... I just didn't really find a good reason to post a new thread. And search didn't actually do me much good. Any tips?

Anyhow, faster is one and unfortunately one of the best ways to catch their attention... Also incredible choereography and flow of moves will definietly help... That practially means loads of practice...

Cheers

ElectricStaplernewbie
33 posts

Posted:
wont spirals kill your hands? and spirals mean wraps right?

IocaineSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
I get a really nice reaction outta the crowd when I do a turkish drop while maintaining a 3-5 beat weave. gotta love having a bellydancer wife to steal moves from hehe.

Io

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
A Turkish drop? confused

Is that anything like a French drop? ubblol

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
buzzsaws. people love them.
also involving any acrobatics will make people go crazy.
im doing buzzsaw rolls, and working on buzzsaw kip ups.
giant moves are always good.
and there's always what cole for girls wink
and obviously, spinning 3bt really fast.

ElectricStaplernewbie
33 posts

Posted:
Whats a kip up, i know ive seen it somewhere, but i wasnt paying attention. and how do you manage a buzz saw roll?

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
buzzsaw rolls- first try without poi, hold your hands infront of you like you're doing a buzzsaw. put your hands between your legs, and push your head between your legs untill you roll naturally. (do it on a mat or something soft because it hurts your shoulders if you dont)
kip ups- here click on one of the squares to see the movie. search google for kip ups to find help on doing them. if your legs are strong it should be pretty easy. after you can do it using your hands try without using the hands and then try with poi.

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
i tend to think that audiences prefer dynamics to moves.

spin something very slow, then something very fast

something small like inversions wrap combinations or airwraps, then something longarm and big

something with your body fairly static then something with lots of movement

the aesthetic contrasts you can create look much nicer than the moves-in-themselves.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Bringing fire near to the body without hurting you is the thing

Corkscrews, but be careful if you are a scantily clad girl, and well endowed wink

How about continuous fountains.

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
Continuous fountains are good, especially if you can turn them into circles by adding windmills and emphasizing the movement.

Also, people go wild for really fast 2-beat weaves. They look a lot different from 3-beats.

And anything you do to change the sizes of circles the poi do will make people bug their eyes out, even if all you're doing is wrapping the chains around your hands.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
really fast antispin flowers tend to do the trick.
also, spiral wraps get some "oooooh"'s

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
set yourself on fire rolleyes

seems a lot of the time people only wanna watch fire to see if you will mess up

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

FlameGoddessnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I have a friend that spins with me - we so a weave on our knees and lean back facing each other - so we're doing a forward weave on top of our bodies. It's pretty cool to see - we always get a good cheer after that one.

Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they lead

Ravenhillmember
47 posts

Posted:
To follow up Poiboy, buzzsaws are always good.
Through the legs has a nice mix of danger/silliness and gets even a tough crowd going.

Try just stretching right up high, on tip-toes, buzzsawing infront of your face. I know, feels dumb, but in my experience audiences love it.

And BTB buzzsaw (one of my faves), so soddin' easy and looks fab if you lean right back over it and stare at the sky.

Dream hit the nail though, with dynamics over moves. Imagine you are playing an instrument... hitting the top and bottom notes (and all between) at varied speeds with varied patterns.

When an audience isn't clued up on spinning, it's all about the show. Get right up to them, stall out at the kids in the front row 'n make 'em shriek, jump, dive, laugh...

They are guides. They are teachers. They are like Yoda, only smaller and on strings.

--Meenik on poi

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ravenhill

And BTB buzzsaw (one of my faves), so soddin' easy and looks fab if you lean right back over it and stare at the sky.

doing this with out a top ha to be one of the best moves the audience react to. although it is easy the danger is arrerently higher than most other moves.

oh and the straight jacket topless. i have only done this once infront of a friend of mine who is hard to impress and he loved it. ubbidea

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Fire snakes are the way to go lots of flames = wow!!!

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

CousinITBRONZE Member
man with a BURNING passion
6 posts

Posted:
wow i barely have any idea what yall are reall talking about....ive been into poi for about half a year and i only know how to do the weave, butterfly, and some wierd stuff i made up but hit myself while perfecting...if anyone lives in humble texas i would love help

When All Else Fails, Burn It.

fairyfireeater1member
55 posts

Posted:
try doing two in one hand!!!!!!!!
then if ya really tricky (and have put ya hair up properly) try doing it over your head

Tehehe.....Fairy 'old me....

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
isolations, btb tricks, one handed tricks, tosses (sometimes), wraps, through wraps, the butterfly, spins and/or jumps, "impossible" combinations, such as; from the underhand thread the needle, a stall with your right hand under your left arm, and as you're pulling your right poi out, you do a through wrap under the outside of your left leg while spinning a half circle to the left. smooth transitions, holding flaming poi in hand, but the most important crowd pleaser of all... don't stop. if you make your whole routine into one manouver without any pauses to switch tricks, or obvious mistakes, the crowd will love it. and on occasion, light yourself on fire and put it out without stopping. going really fast is well complimented by going really slow. and tis very important that sometimes, instead of finding a new trick to please the crowd, you work on the ones you already know, or think you know, so that you can make them look so easy, that everyone in the crowd thinks that they can do it. audience participation so to speak.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Duh...

Everyone knows it's not about pleasing the audience. It's about learning tricks so complex the audience can't tell the difference between the moves and you just catching yourself on fire. If your audience isn't staring at you like you have 3 heads by the end of your performance, you're obviously not very good.

That said, big fire and fast spinning is the way to go wink

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Poi's not about moves... :P

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i didn't know poi was 'about' anything wink

ooh, if i'm here i should say a move that amazes the audience...

4 petal split time antispin butterfly flowers (so the petals are at the corners and the pattern whooshes from side to side)

i'm rubbish at them, but i've seen meenik, rossco and matty b all make people go WOOO! when they do them.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
fec, have you tried that horisontal stall of nic's in thoes flowers?

fec.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Page: