Forums > Social Chat > ban on tobacco advertising.

Login/Join to Participate

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
wow as of midnight tonight in the UK there is a ban on all tobacco advertising.
maybe this will cut teenagers taking up smoking, i dont think it will but i do think it is a very good idea....
any thoughts?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I think it's a good idea, but I'm not holding out any hope of it actually lowering the number of people who start smoking.
Every little helps though I suppose, so if it means only 1 person doesn't get lung cancer or anything, it's worth the ban in my eyes.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Canada did this ages ago. I think the US recently did it. Ill see if I can find you any information on how effective it was for us.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The positive part of a ban on cigarette advertising is that cigarette companies can no longer place the ads near schools or in places where youngsters go.

I oppose any restriction on freedom of personal speech. Corporate speech is another thing entirely.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Does this ban include merchandise and team sponsorship?

I know in the US bilboards around schools are band and no comercials but racecar teams are still sponserd and you can still buy Marlborol backpacks and what not.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've always thought of the Tobacco companies as one of the biggest evils in the world today. It cracks me up that so many anti-corporate liberals smoke. Tobacco companies have to be some of the largest, most irresponsible and dangerous corporations on the planet.

I find nothing more ironic than a hippie preaching the evils of "Starbucks" or "The Gap" with a Phillip Morris cigarette dangling out of his mouth.

Tax it to hell I say. Why should I pay for your cancer treatment?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
cigarettes are all ready taxed sky high here in the UK, NYC. no wonder there is a big underground smuggling ring going on.

i'm not sure on whats happening to race sponsorship from tobacco companies, i need to see the news again, they were showing race cars with advertising on them, but i dont remember if it said that they will be banned there also, if so then i think F1 will have to look for big sponsorships from else where.

i agree with any ban as a smoker myself i am all up for free speach and any ones objections to smokers.

i think that shops shouldnt have a display behind the counter, for kids to see when going to and from schools when they call in at the shops, as that is pretty much getting away with a ban on advertising.
most shopping precincts and malls banned smoking a while back which i think is a good thing.

[ 14. February 2003, 15:34: Message edited by: - ]

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
quote:
The Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act 1992 allowed for a handful of major international events to be exempt under Section 18. From 1 October 2006 there will be no tobacco sponsorship of any international sporting and cultural events held in Australia.

Tobacco advertising has been long gone in Australia for many years, and it will be phased out entirely in international sporting events too.

Don't know that it has had the desired affect. I think the tobacco companies just make their targetting far more subtle.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by -:
[QB]
i'm not sure on whats happening to race sponsorship from tobacco companies, i need to see the news again,

I think I saw on the news that tabacco sponsorship is continuing for another 3 years......

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
I reckon all advertising should be illegal - a world without billboards, commercials, etc would be a wonderful thing. At the same time, I can't see anybody not smoking just because there isn't a sign saying go for it, or changing anyone's life in any way.

Don't worry, be happy...

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I think it's a good idea - I've had an idea for the counters where they sell tobacco stuff.. I went to the Bodyworks exibition (done by the guy who did the autopsy recently) in London the other week... ever seen and held a smokers lung? I did - it's gross! Made me think twice about smoking myself... but hey I smoke - I enjoy it, so maybe if they have lungs in the shops it may stop ickle kids thinking it's cool..

When I see young kids in the street if they ask me for a smoke I tell them they are stupid to want to smoke.. I ask them why and they sometimes say it's cool.. I then ask them if they think I'm cool.. I usually get a no.. 'there you go.' I tell them.. don't do it or you'll end up like me..

These tobacco bans will hopefully have an effect.. My dad has worked as a tobacco merchant for nearly all his life (hey it's one of the only ways to get out of Zimbabwe back in the day.. and it's allowed us as a family to live in a few different counrties) but nowadays his compamy is starting to trade other goods... cobalt, industrail diamonds and alcohol.. so there is a downward trend in the sellers market that traders have to source other goods to trade..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MisStix:
When I see young kids in the street if they ask me for a smoke I tell them they are stupid to want to smoke.. I ask them why and they sometimes say it's cool.. I then ask them if they think I'm cool.. I usually get a no.. 'there you go.' I tell them.. don't do it or you'll end up like me..
LOL

Tobacco advertising in sport is scheduled to be banned in 2006... I'm sure Bernie Ecclestone and his millions of pounds of donations to Labour had nothing to do with this

"Moo," said the happy cow.