Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Well, there's Wikipedia's definition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

hobgobSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
Its either:

1) a little furry creature that lives in the highlands of scotland, reknowned for having one pair of legs longer than the other so that when it runs around the sides of the hill it still stays upright....

Or...

2) sheeps stomach stuffed with barley, oats, heart, liver, and lungs boiled slowly until cooked through...

Or...

3) A plastic pack filled with minced lamb, offal & barley (as found on supermarket shelves)

Whichever you choose it's absolutley gorgeous served with tatties and neeps.

Hob

life is like a roadtrip.... The idea is not to arrive at your destination in a pristine showroom model, but rather to slide in sideways in a battered jalopy hanging out the window screaming "wow what a ride..."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
First time on the Internet Mike?

confused

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
lo, its option b

sheeps stomach stuffed with barley, oats, heart, liver, and lungs boiled slowly until cooked through...

its a scottish delicacy and apparently nice as my nan keeps trying to get me to eat it
my family are scottish

it is centurys old recipe

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm more interested in the second part of the question. I know that it's all the bits of a sheep that nobody really wants to eat stuffed in another part of a sheep that nobody really wants to eat served with some overboiled vegetables.

This explains why the Brits tend to prefer Indian food to their own. Have the Scots not figured this out yet?

-Mike

hobgobSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
You've obviously not eaten Haggis, It's absolutley lovely.

rolleyes

life is like a roadtrip.... The idea is not to arrive at your destination in a pristine showroom model, but rather to slide in sideways in a battered jalopy hanging out the window screaming "wow what a ride..."

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
scotch eggs are better ubblove

i make homemade patties to cover them that have minced onions and carrots and peas instead of just the sausage meat, and then you eat them while they're warm ubblove

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

hobgobSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm, scotch eggs, definatley one of my favourites.... you ever tried Black pudding fritters?

hob

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
black pudding? blech! the thought of it makes me wanna puke.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I love haggis when it is well done. There is such a thing as shyte haggis and it just makes you ill to smell it.

Mike, when people are cold and hungry, any part of an animal and left over grains will do. Let's face it, it doesn't take long to come 'round to that. I also feel this is why tripe, several forms of seafood (who the HELL figured out to get past all the spines of an urchin???) and blood sausage were eaten.

As far as scotch eggs, I love them. My friends actually have the most awesome recipe that they share willingly but no one can duplicate it cause they won't give out the sausage recipe! Ugh. I've been at a festival with them the past 3 weekends and have 3 to go...that adds up to ALOT of scotch eggs!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Bloody sausage isn't actually that bad. As long as I didn't think about what I was eating, it was ok! It's very rich though so I couldn't eat my whole serving.
(yay for not understanding Spanish! ubblol)

And beef liver isn't too bad either. However chicken liver is disguting and kidney is worse.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Scotch eggs aren't so bad. But Pele, sea urchin is DELICIOUS. It's worth the spines.

Liver...isn't. Neither are kidneys, which taste like a firmer version of liver.

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Oh, I know it is Mike, but seriously...who the hell thought to pick that up and eat it?

*Imagining a raft with a solitary floatee in the baking sun, he sees fish beneath the water and tries to catch them. He misses. He weaves a twine from his hair and breaks a fingernail to use as a hook. A piece of his own skin for bait, still no luck. He eats his own skin and is repulse, but look...land is nearby! YAY! He paddles as furiously as his little arms can muster until he is close enough to jump off when he lands on a spiney, thorny, sharp, nasty bit of pain. "F$%K!" he cries as he rips it from his foot, and throws it on the shore. He hobbles onto the sand, collapsing next to where it hit a rock and broke open. Bananas and coconuts swaying in the breeze over head. But wait, hmmm..."This spiny thing pissed me off. I should eat it as divine retribution!" So he opts for urchin rather than banana and history is made.

Yes. I'm bored. So what!

Oh, btw, I had a client at work who at pig part jello. Not kidding. Poured white vinegar all over it. Ground up the hooves to make the gel base, boiled the parts with no real meat to them and slapped it all together. Wait one day and pig part jello is made. Serve sopping in vinegar.
No Thanks!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Sea Urchin, delicious? *puke* forgot to add that to my list of "tried and will never ever eat again" Seriously, it has spikes and bright orange flesh! Isn't that one of the rules of the animal kingdom? Bright bold colours mean its poisonous, so stay away?

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Rougie, spikes mean "I'm good to eat but if you want to eat me, you've got to earn it." Poisonious things generally don't need to bother with spikes...unless they're the poisoned part.

-Mike

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
just cos you went to medical school and i'm only an arts student redface

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Callate, hija. hug

-Mike

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I used to love eating chinese roast/fried intestines and hoi-sin dipping sauce. Until I found out what they were... carried on eating it until I found something in there.....

ugh.

Tripe is rather nice in chinese cuisine. Never had any done english style...

I've yet to try proper haggis but I don't think after eating chinese for years anything will phaze me. Except maybe insects. And sea cucumber (which I have had the misfortune of sampling at a wedding banquet...)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
did i hear somebody mention SCOTCH EGGS!?!?!?!

man i love those things. much more appetising than haggis, which my the way i dont dislike.

only a scott would look at an egg and say
"I know what this egg needs...meat and batter"

all we need now is some iron brew a few kilts (minus the underpants) and we are away!

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
yes what is it about far-up northerners and batter?

In fish n Chip shops I noticed they ask you if you want a serving of batter with your chips. When I say batter I mean the excess crispy bits that break away from the fish n scallops during frying!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

1,007 posts

Posted:
mmmmmm! that actually sounds good

have you ever had battered mars bar? or pizza? both are tasty, but a sure fire way of getting a heart condition..ubblol

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Not a pizza (because I think it'll actually ruin it) but a Battered Mars bar is nice... kinda tastes like profiteroles...(sp?) ubblove

Not too keen on battered sausage.

offtopic

Can we get back to talking about the origins of stuffed animal innards as culinary delight?

1,007 posts

Posted:
sure. like.....sausages? are they just mini haggis' but with nastier bits in?

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Aww.. c'mon.. Sawdust is perfectly healthy...

ubblol

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
mmm haggis - the secret's in the oatmeal and the spices. Makes you stink to high heaven after though. Aint had haggis for ages. May have it the weekend. Yay for dutch ovens! lol

Walls do a lovely haggis. Cook it in the microwave for about four mins, use a knife and open it, scoop out the mix, lay it on a plate. place a grilled chicken breast on top, pour peppercorn sauce on it and serve with baby potatoes, broccoli, peas and corn. Delicious!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Grilled Chicken Breast? Defeats the purpose of whole 'starving in in the highlands' mentality doesn't it?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I do believe that Tink just managed to use the words "Haggis," "Lovely," and "Delicious" all in one post... eek

-Mike

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Scotch eggs aren't so bad. But Pele, sea urchin is DELICIOUS. It's worth the spines.

Liver...isn't. Neither are kidneys, which taste like a firmer version of liver.

If you want good liver or kidneys you have to soak them in milk overnight in the fridge first. Give it a try wink

English food has to be read out of a 90 year old yellow'd cook book, home made/grown or come from a farm somewhere up north where the nearest thing to modern technology is one of those new fangled traveling contraptions called bycicles, or a cast iron bathtub and an outdoor toilet!

Now thats where proper english recipes come from.

Ooo arrh

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

DragosaniGOLD Member
sunset seadragon
679 posts

Posted:
ye get up in the morning, stretch, take yuir spear from tae wall, and start hunting fer supper.
that's where haggis comes in... sheep don't run that fast biggrin

“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” - Oscar Wilde
Jointly owned by FreyaJ, Birgit and Aurinko

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
To shockingly stay on what I think is Lightning's topic...

I don't think the Scots are really an 'eat out' culture. Even Edinburgh and Glascow don't seem to have the person:restaurant ratio that New York (or even LA) does. I think that results in eating at home and therefore sticking with the local recipies more often. I know I've got more sushi and thai restaurants on my block then they have in all of Edinburgh.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: