Forums > Social Chat > Chalk up one more for the dreadlock crew.

Login/Join to Participate

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
I finally made the jump to dreads. Hooray for me. I've always liked dreadlocks but have only recently explored what means it takes to grow them. Bought some Knotty Boy dread wax and soap on the evening of Friday, Jan 31st, washed up my dome on Saturday, Feb 1st, my extremely patient mother backcombed (yes, it hurt quite a lot at times) the top and a bit of the sides (all of my hair wasn't long enough to knot, so I'm doing that later on) and waxed it all up. Took about 3.5 to 4 hours to get them all in. Today, Sunday Feb 2nd, I shaved my sideburns completely off for the first time in...heck, since I could shave (I turned 19 on Jan 27th, so that's about 3-4 years). They're only about 3 inches long for the longest ones on the crown of my head but that isn't stopping me from being quite pleased. I can't wait for them to mature over the coming weeks and months and to start knotting into real locks.

*edit* I hope my boss doesn't chew my face off.

[ 03. February 2003, 08:27: Message edited by: NickC ]

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Neither my department manager nor store manager said a word about my hair. Score.

beezle_bubmember
28 posts

Posted:
Good for you man...i've had my dreads for a year now...and i refuse to get rid of them i love them ssoooo much

It's a bit weird being a chick with dreads.....societies standards for females with dreads are quite different to males..but im 18...manager of a novilty store..and am able to have dreads my labrette pierced and stuff at work so its kewl!
My dreads took 10 hours to do....OUCHIES! but i just had a metal comb...no chemicals tho.

ps......so a socialogical experiment.......
people become so much more open and pleasant people to me compared to before...thats if they're not scared of me

RRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *booo*

Deep into the darkness peering, long i stood there wondering, fearing!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I am in the process of getting my dreads. Since I have 'dread hair.' Having spent 2-3 years pondering getting dreads I thought it was about time I started. So three days ago my beloved friend made two for me. I am waiting to see my mother so as to show her what they will look like so she can be prepared when I come back with the whole head.

Anyhow... How does it feel?! I would love to know!
I will have mine by the end of next month. Due to my anal desire to keep everything 100% natural I am not using any wax or products on my hair and am letting it matte up naturally.

Funny what you are talking about beezle_bub... I have been wondering how society in general will treat me after the dreads. Will there be a change?

I would love to know more about the social aspects of this endevour if you guys would fill me in I would be ever so happy.

love, hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Drome Sweetie -

there is nothing unnatural about pure beeswax. like the stuff you get from bees?? go to a local honey store or something and they'll sort you out - no cheating, just nice waxy nurturing i promise

And swimming in the sea knots them up real nice too - though you may just be a bit far north for that one

I have 109 of the buggers and it took my lovely C@ntus 18 hours! but well, well worth it. I love each and every one of them completely - except the little shit at the back which refuses to be tied up - just a tiny, little bit too short at the mo.....grrrrrrrrrrr!

My dreads give me more confidence, which makes me more at ease, which in turn makes people respond a lot better to me. Once they get past the initial 'You mean you're not homeless??' thing then everything's good.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

beezle_bubmember
28 posts

Posted:

I so completely agree napalm fairy! Dreads gave me such confidence. ....and it does radiate!

Drome...there is a change...but its not gonna be bad at all! People become alot more open and will just come up and chat in the street (mostly about your hair)...in comparison to my pre-dread period!

Im never going to be able to go back to having *normal* hair again....at first its a bit strange, not being able to run ur hands through ur hair....but now its just so natural! you will love it

Deep into the darkness peering, long i stood there wondering, fearing!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I just dont like the idea of wax!

I was suggested tree sap as well but I just dont really think tis nessecary... I have to work hard for my hair not to matte up sos I just think that leaving it be should do the job just fine! I did say I was (ommiting word for fear that it might trigger search engine and we might have to use ice cream instead!)

If anyone understood that last one... I salute you!

I cant wait to get them all done... Not much I can do though as I am just letting them come. I am sure a little someone will be willling to help

Oh and the sea! My friend told me that its one of the best experiences!

love hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Uh do you forefeit all medecine, alcohol drugs food preservatives, synthetic fibres etc etc... in your quest for 100% natural stuff? Also do you wash yourself with soap and detergent and brush your teeth? Flouride certainly isn't natural and there is a some debate that it might be bad for you.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Astar... Its a lifestyle change not something you do overnight...

Anyways why do you ask?

[edit] pretty much entire deffensive post deleted... I figure I should first see the objective behind the comment before being a total bizzatch...

sorry astar...

[ 05. February 2003, 16:15: Message edited by: dromepixie ]

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
In the dread wax there's only bees wax, hemp seed oil and a couple other natural ingrediants. Same as the soap, peppermint, tea tree and rosemary oil.

Dread wax isn't necessary but it speeds things up. If you knot your hair up and just let it go, it will dread, just slower. All the wax does is hold the hair together to give it a chance to tangle without falling apart.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Umm.... I just dont like the idea of putting gels, potions, waxes, liquids etc in my hair! Is that so hard to believe and if I was in it for the speed then I wouldnt be getting dreads... Once I have them I dont believe they are going to want to go away for a longlonglong time.......

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I wasn't implying anything I was just curious how far you took it, because it seemed strange to me you considered wax to unnatural when it's basicly just a form of fat.

But hey if you want to be defensive and think im flameing you go ahead.

[ 05. February 2003, 16:19: Message edited by: Astar ]

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Dude I changed the post sorry....

I just constantly get shit for all this 'hippy' thought... Look at the time of the edit alright I edited ebfore your reply so I am sorry and didnt mean to be a cunt....

M'kay...

sorry just tired...
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
No problem. I can see where my original post looks kind of hostile. I can totally understand not wanting to put crap in your hair.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I think I'd look silly in dreads..

Raph

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I think you'd look silly in dreads

Drome - have you never been swimming in the sea???? ??

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Kristy-Leemember
26 posts

Posted:
just wanted to say that I think dreads are sexy, if they're kept clean. My eye is always drawn to them... mmmm

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I think dreads are sex too.
Oh Drome, I got it and I salute you too

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Drome..Mate...

Dreads very rarely just form into tight neat straight dreads - MOST people have to do a fair bit of work to get them looking neat. I roll and wax mine at least once between washings, thats the only way to keep em neat (oh and Kate also plays a big part in crocheting them - but you dont neccessarily have to do it that way)

I dont think there are many people out there of non-african hereditry that just 'get dreads' Even a lot of Surfers use board wax on their dreads. If you dont mind them being all different sizes and shapes and stuff - sure just let your hair go...but personally, with something that is going to be a part of you for a long time, I'd strongly recommend you to do all you can to make sure they turn out the way you want...

Its very hard to neaten them up after you let your head turn into one big birds nest.

Wax is good - it will also make your dreads less scratchy.

I could talk about dreads all day - I love em, but I wont.

Josh

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Forgot to post the link: www.knottyboy.com

Lots of info, LOTS of pictures.