Page: ...
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I've been busy designing recently and I'm happy to report I've made some serious progress! I've very nearly got the final prototype board fleshed out and a design I reckon ought to work very well for the casing.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

I'll send off for the first set of prototype boards some time next week (still needs some tweaking and double-checking). I need to investigate a few more companies to find someone to make my polycarbonate balls. Just need to get the software up to scratch now. As it stands you'd need to have some special hardware to add new light sequences etc. into them... once I've got my head around a few things, you'll just be able to plug your hyperlights into a USB socket, fire up your software and tell them what you want!

Watch this space biggrin cool

Cake or Death?

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
*walks in and sits down witha cattle prod*

wink

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
*picks up his soldering iron and tries to look busy* ...nothing to see here, I'm working hard, move along! *nervous laughter*

Cake or Death?

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I've got one issue that I've not been able to sort out from looking at this thread or the pictures. Will the entire poi be lit, including the very base? In at least 2 pictures I've seen, the bottom couple of inches is dark...

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Currently (and in previous prototypes) the base has not been lit. HOWEVER.. the final versions will be made of transparent plastic and although it probably won't be as bright as some parts of the sock, it will be lit up enough that you can see it smile

Cake or Death?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Has your accident with the bolognaise affected progress with these...?

Maybe you should invest in a dishwasher and a cook... biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I can still type and use a mouse okay, but hand-written stuff and soldering sting like a censored wink

Cake or Death?

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
I'll send a nurse around Jon! wink tongue

This has probably been asked before, but this thread is fairly long now, and I can't seem to see it anywhere.

Whats the durability of the casing going to be like? Also will it stand up to/ be possible to do stuff like wrist wraps etc without breaking yourself or your toy?

smile

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
so will the hyperlights be making an appearances at the WEBM

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Sweet biggrin

They'll be made of polycarbonate which is one of the toughest plastics you can get so I'm hoping they'll be fairly indestructable. The socks that I'll ship them with will have padding around the ball so spinning them should be fairly painless smile

Cake or Death?

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
WHoohoo! Almost invincible, uber bright, programable, multi coloured sock poi... for £120. I'll take a pair! Well once they're finished at least.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Update?

If you haven't done anything on this Jon you deserve a hardy spank

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
So What I could find in terms of technical specs on this thread:

At the moment are you able to store more than one sequence?

Absolutely! A rough back-of-an-envolope-I-may-be-wrong calculation suggests there's space for ~6000 instructions. Now bear in mind that any sequence you make can be called by other sequences and we have provisions for up to 64 built in effects (that number could be increased as and when we think of more!)... the possibilities are rather staggering

What you call 'pattern banks' I would call sequences... and everything revolves around them. So for a 60hz rgb strobe, you'd set something like this up:

Written by:

Sequence "RGB Strobe"
SetAll(0)
SetRed(255)
Wait(20)
SetAll(0)
SetGreen(255)
Wait(20)
SetAll(0)
SetBlue(255)
Wait(20)
Return

Timings are in milliseconds so can change colours 1000 times per second if you really want to! To make that same sequence repeat 10 times (for example), you could put a while loop around it:

Written by:

Sequence "RGB Strobe"
While(10)
SetAll(0)
SetRed(255)
Wait(20)
SetAll(0)
SetGreen(255)
Wait(20)
SetAll(0)
SetBlue(255)
Wait(20)
WEnd
Return

Bear in mind that that's the crude / techy interface. There will be a simple mode as well which won't involve writing code like the stuff above. I'm hoping it will be easy enough to use that even a complete technophobe will have no problems

It will all be drag and drop to make things easier. It should work on just about every popular platform too; Windows, Linux, MAC etc.

It will interface directly with the toys so any toys that are plugged in will appear in the GUI. Programming them will be as easy as selecting which sequences you want and hitting the upload button. It takes less than a second to send my current sequences

Not sure what you mean by transition effects plugins? They may be what I'm thinking of as macros.. which I'll add at some point although they'll be a tricky thing to implement and probably only used (or at least created) by the more technically minded!

It's not much to work on for a gui...
is there anything further you want to add mr hyperlight? Things that would be useful: BNF or grammar for the 'plain text' commands to be 'written' onto the hyperlight.
What the two channel stuff you were talking about before meant.
Specifications in general.

Doesn't need to be right away, I put mo-seph's project in subversion and mavenised it. But I won't have a proper chance to work on it till the end half of october.... If anybody wants to have a look at it, tell me and I'll post up guest account details here.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Fear not young Chutney.. I've been very busy indeed. I should have 10 of the final prototype boards arriving next week and have already received all the components to populate them. I've also sent off the designs for the housings to be checked... and if there are no glaring errors, I'll be looking into getting them made into the real thing!

As for the GUI, I had started preparing something for you, but then realised we could do some really cool stuff if we re-wrote some of the HyperLight firmware. Until that's finished, there's not a lot of point in getting going on the GUI. This weekend is the first in a long time that I've not had about a billion things to do so I'm hoping to have a fair crack at the firmware. Once I've got that sorted I'll put together a better description of the way things work, what's possible and how we might put a GUI together.

Hope that answers some questions smile

[Edit]The 'channel' thing I was talking about was the bit you can scroll through. I mean that for each Hyperlight you'd need a strip set up in there.. does that make sense?
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1160158385)

Cake or Death?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: *HyperLight

This weekend is the first in a long time that I've not had about a billion things to do

Don't forget you need to talk to me ubbangel

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I'd not forgotten ooooops wink

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
come to synergy in london for kev's birthday and bring a load of hypers for us to spin =D

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

wyndsurfrnewbie
18 posts

Posted:
Dude!!!! This will def. make you semi-rich!!! I think everyone who does glow or fire poi will want a pair. Everyone I know here in america will buy some, arrrrghhh i just heard about them and i'm already excited....

btw... for me dude is an asexual word (in case you aren't a dude ;-)

Dude... my butt's on fire again... bummer...

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
lol, Jon is a guy smile

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
......someone better tell chutney....... i heard they were getting married...... wink

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Damnit, I thought people were bored of that rumour?!

Well I'm hoping to have 5 pairs of prototypes very soon and if there are no major issues, my current plan is to then build 250 pairs in time for christmas and see how well they sell smile

Cake or Death?

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
*poke* wink

Gayle.....!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Hey that tickles! No need tongue

Cake or Death?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
*breaks out the feather duster* devil

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
ahhahahhha *gasps for air* please no mor.... ahahahahhhhhaahaha ubblol ubbcrying ubblol ubbcrying ubblol

Cake or Death?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
umm

Jon, I'm over here, I haven't touched you yet.... confused

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Well then what the heck was tha... *turns around* ...CHUTNEY!!! I should've known eek redface
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1161365545)

Cake or Death?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:

Please.

No more.

Finito.

Das end.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
...and to change the topic, I've just had the new boards delivered. I've got two (out of ten) soldered up ready to test already. Things are a little hectic at the moment though as my grandad died last tuesday (aged 88!) ...hopefully things will get back to normal in a week or two and I can start showing you all some of the stuff I've been working on smile

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
sorry to hear about your grandad mate :-/

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
awww I'm sorry to hear that mate hug