Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Do YOU hit yourself alot while practicing??

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
xomspinnernewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hiya people!! This is my first thread in this Forums, and I thought this subject should be in here. If that isn't the case, I'm really sorry and please correct me smile *Gives fire staff* have fun!

Anyway, to get to the point, while practicing I usually hit myself in the head, leg and belly lots! Lol, it's something I have to work on.

When you are practicing.. do you hit yourself a lot? and if so, and you found a cure for that, this could be a good place to share that information to save up on bandages.

Post away !! biggrin

-- Support Creativity, Don't Steal It --

BrokenLeavesSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
Loads

regually it seems in my nose

which just hurts
alot...

haha

xomspinnernewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Haha ^_^

When I try to do the weave it seems that at one point they just get attracted to my leg, like a magnete!!

Also I've made many mistakes with the butterfly, but I seem to have it under controll now ^_^

At first when I did the butterfly I started to turn my palms like in the lessons, but when the pois were turning with my hands they usually hit eachother. So I now hold my hands further from each other untill they are spinning properly, and then move them towards. That way they don't hit that much, haha.

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
I hardly ever hit myself. Probably once every practice (practice time varies from 2-3 hours). I shut my eyes when i rave and let the music collapse to my body, i love a hard bass. Whenever i hit myself, its on the corner of my eye or the cheek bone. When i was a beginner... holy crap.. lol. Ill explain my pain. I got real cocky once i learnt the reverse weave. So i was like, LES DOO IT FASTAAAAA!!!! One happened to go straight to my nose causing a pretty harsh nose bleed, i turned my head to the right as a reaction to the thwack, my left poi hit the side of my head. Funny as hell though. i also hit my shin with a whip sort of thing, when i first attempted poi i used this long whip kind of object. Smacked my shin and fell on the floor. but.. not many hits anymore. But its when i get real cocky that it hits me. Dont take advantage of your object to spin, keep control. My advice to stop hitting yourself, probably a common response to such a question, practice that individual move, the more you make the flow smoother, the easier its going to spin in your control

ubblol nice thread btw ubblol
EDITED_BY: RaveRepresent (1148844157)

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
used to hit myself a bit, but with practice and experience it will stop.

it will take a while for you to get your own style (see what i did there, it rhymes)

all i can say is when you feel confident enough try a few moves with your eyes closed so you get a feel for when a move is going right

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I just made my poi softer so I couldn't feel it ubbangel

These days it doesn't happen so much, but then it's worse because you expect it less when it does happen! ubblol

Let's relight this forum ubblove

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I used to hit myself a lot, then two things happenned around the same time:

one-- I found out that I have a blood disorder, that means sometimes my blood does not clot properly, so hitting myself became a very, very bad idea!!! I either had to stop poi, or figure out how to not hit myself, even when learning a new move. Extreme bruising was quite the incentive to slow down and be gentle!

two: Thankfully, Meenick taught me the concept of planes, and in addition to that gave me an adorable set of fuzzy soft penguin poi! I learned to work with the planes, and used his method of gaining control of my movement through understanding where the poi were in relationship to my body. It was fabulous!!

I still hit myself sometimes, of course, but way way less, and not so ery hard. I have far more awareness and control. I even have a heavy set of poi now, and that acts as an extra deterrent when I am not paying enough attention!

So, I suggest you get yourself a copy of Nicks DVD, the Scales of Poi,from HOP shop- it is great- , and some soft poi to work with!! I think if you practice plane control, you will find it all becomes easier...

Good luck!

~A

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

addict
567 posts

Posted:
andreaaaa... you still got that penguin poi? if you do. mind if you post a pic? angel angel they just sound cute and i wanna see'em, if not, no worries.

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
no never. umm (sic)

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

Dangerousmind66Member
90 posts

Posted:
Crotch.

addict
567 posts

Posted:
LMAO! thats genuis Dangerous... lol... my god... i dont understand why i find it so funny... all you said was crotch.. id expect. "i usually hit myself in the crotch, yeah it hurts, like this one time - etc etc etc.." But you just say crotch... Yes, i am retarded...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I do alot more now because this last year I've started inadvertently poi-ing whilst closing my eyes...

It wasn't a conscious choice but I grown to like doing it with my eyes closed. I think I'm doing pretty well as it helps to improve body memory than depending on my eyes to pull off a move...

Plus now it feels more like meditating...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
I've been trying to do the windmill with wrists together and my nose has been hit alot!

Also when I try and do a one-handed butterfly one of my poi goes out of plane and comes around eventually to hit my arm. I'll seriously need to work out what's happening there.

Wengridnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
I switched my cobra poi for softer bean bag fluffy poi instead for that reason! still hit myself but at least it hurts less!! ubbrollsmile

addict
567 posts

Posted:
Chimney, if this may help, when you switch your hands while doing the windmill, do it much further, as you grow confident of it, get it smaller, a but smaller, then youll just need to move the wrist, sorry if it didnt help. Ive been looking for cobra poi wengrid, did you order yours online? they look very sweet.

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
Used to hit myself loads and loads, but not so much anymore unless Im teaching myself something complicated and new.

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
the first poi i bought were hacky sack ones-not a good idea i know. I hit my nuts a lot when trying to get the butterfly right so i used my mates plastic container to protect them! then i bought one of those cricket cups.

I just use sock and tennis ball (rainbow glow poi when they arrive) at the moment

addict
567 posts

Posted:
ah, geeza, the LED sock poi? i havent got the rainbow, i bought the blue. Its very fun, i havent worked with something to heavy though. But ive gotten used to it. AND! they seem to be ripping, so its either A. it hates me or B. just dont spin too fast/much. And tell me, when you use the rainbow poi, does it change color? because the picture shows a yellow and red light, and thats not really a rainbow... tell me when it comes in if you dont mind, im planning on buying more poi.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
one word: YES

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

hippywiggynewbie
4 posts

Posted:
LOL I hit myself in the head the other day and nearly knocked myself out lol

I've just banged my head on the kitchen table

DenGadGOLD Member
45 posts

Posted:
Poi: I don't hit myself that often anymore, used to hit my legs a lot (used to miss both legs in the beginning - ouch)
Staff: Never hit myself (started staff 3 years before poi), used to hit myself a lot in the beginning (when I used my aikido jo - solid oak staff, made nasty bumps on the shins, nearly knocked myself out when I clipped myself on the side of the head).
I remember when switching to a firestaff I was thinking - 'this is so much softer to hit myself with' :-)

xomspinnernewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Woooooah looky at all the replies ^_^
Woah yeah Neon_Shaolin, I do it with my eyes closed now as well smile It does help actually... that way you don't rely on your vision but just the feeling... thanks for the tip smile I'm sure it will help others too biggrin

Lol geeza, I got the same problem with the butterfly.. I just thought I shouldn't put it that way in here haha...

But errrm.. could anyone help me with the Windmill.... I mean.. I just don't seem to understand how it works, it's like.. when I try to do it... uhhm.. well... it's a long story lol.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I rarely hit myself unless i'm trying to learn waist wrap or doing stuff behind my back. My sock poi have a money bag of sand in the end of them so my body seems to have decided it prefers dodging to being hit.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

esmokahSILVER Member
journeyman
75 posts

Posted:
when i'm practicing i hit myself a lot because i'm trying new movements, or expanding existing movements. i also try transitions into different moves. when i perform (usually w/ fire) I try and stick with the tried and true, yet vary it up with the music as i go.

the only time i really mess up performing is when i am too self concious that people are watching me. my best spinning is done behind closed doors with no cameras or spectators!

I've never seen a supernova blow up, but if it's anything like my old chevy nova it'll light up the night sky!

IntruderBRONZE Member
stranger
21 posts

Posted:
Everyone does, its only natural when you force your body into doing things its not used to wink

pain is your friend!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I still hit myself loads when I practise (which is very different from when I just play, I very rarely actually practise), but that's because although I'm better than I was when I started, the things I'm practising are harder - there's always going to be something new and difficult to be trying, regardless of spinning ability.

Written by: RaveRepresent

Ive been looking for cobra poi wengrid, did you order yours online? they look very sweet.

You can get cobra poi here.
Personally though, I find Erik's Poi to be much better than cobras.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ZeeIndifferentOnenewbie
11 posts

Posted:
'Neon_Shaolin' I go to college in Leyland, Runshaw Infact, take it you do/did too? Ya' know living there and all, I live in Wigan.

& as for this topic, of course we hit ourselves while practising, sort of stupid question to be honest.

rhi_bmember
51 posts

Posted:
err i hit myself alot whilst practicing and get strange looks at college cos of the neumerous bruises from poi and staff, managet to hit myself in the ear with my poi yesterday and had bad hearing for the rest of the day and a dull ear ache today but you do seem to hit yourself less as time goes on, then again maybe im just imagining that! rolleyes

EpsilonKiasNote to self... Fur + Fire = Hurt.
107 posts

Posted:
I still hit myself all the time. Though I mainly knock myself in the legs now with all of the work i've been doing on UTL stuff.

That is to say... My crotch is aslo a major magnet for stray poi

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i never hit myself, i hit the silly blighters that spin poi tongue

*run back to the staff section* wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

i never hit myself, i hit the silly blighters that spin poi tongue

*run back to the staff section* wink

Good answer biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Page: ...