Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > need some help/advice if possible

Login/Join to Participate

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Okay.. ive been raving for about eh... 2 and a half months.. its been fun and all, really enjoy the rush. The only problem im stuck on alot of moves which start to frustrate me.. majority of the BTB moves are kinda nagging me here.. i just need some help. Any of you help will be greatly appreciated. the moves i have gotten down are Weave, Reverse Weave, Butterfly (and wrap), neck wrap, foward and backward spins, windmill, and alot of other things im too lazy too explain. hopefully a video im working on will show it to you. thank you again. PLUR

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
Richie?...is that you?

addict
567 posts

Posted:
nah this is john. new member.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
#It's kinda hard to give advice when there's no real questions....

Have you been through the lessons on this site? If not see if you can do them, and if you can't search the moves forum for advice before posting. There reall is a lot of info in there and I'm sure you'll find a lot to help you out smile

For BTB, you need to find the extra flexibility in your shoulders and wrists and this can only come with practice. You are probably able to do them long before you're flexible enough to keep the planes nice and pull off the move itself smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

addict
567 posts

Posted:
noice... thanks bro. i have looked at the lessons section but it comes out weird for me. I believe theres a move called chasing the sun, i cant tell how exactly you do it. I may sound so dumb here, but i have seen it done in performances, its beautiful

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Take a look at the first post of my intro thread for a buch of useful links, including video tutorial links. They are poi related, so nothing specific to glowsticking in there, but may be useful to you.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
I find that things are easier to learn if you have something to look at and learn from. If you don't know people who do poi, try looking up videos online, there are loads of them. Personally, I have trouble learning without real people, so you could try tracking down others who live near you who do poi. However, for two months, it sounds like you're doing okay. Don't sweat it, I've been doing poi for ages, and I haven't touched BTB. I'm not really that interested in doing so just yet, There are loads of other things that you can try. Try looking for variations on moves that you already know. There are loads of variations on the butterfly, for example. But again, don't sweat it. It sounds like you're doing fine.

addict
567 posts

Posted:
Yeah, thanks saskeah. the thing is, there are certain moves like a 5 beat weave or btb weave that just dont register through my head. hah, unfortunatly, im 13, im rather hesitant of meeting other people... so ill be doing this alone. and i just got a hold of the butterfly barrel roll, kinda happy.. also, i havent done any spinning with sock poi. so tangling isnt that easy. but i recently ordered some L.E.D. sock poi and ultra poi items on this site. Thanks again for the help, Party down, Light up

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
btb weaves and 5 bt weaves are both easier with heavier poi. as with alot of tricks. try to learn them with something heavier than glowsticks... I know how you ravers are. but you're 13? good lord. I wish I was swinging poi at 13... I'd be the man by now. keep it up.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
Being thirteen is no reason to think that you're at a disadvantage meeting other poi spinners. I'm eighteen, and I'm terrified of talking to jugglers and poi spinners that could help me out, but I find that for me, it's the only way to learn. Videos and stuff, however, can be really helpful if you really don't want to put yourself out there too much. I would have a search for online tutorials and things like that, they could definitely help you out. Try to notice where arms are crossing and stuff like that, puzzle tricks out before you try them. That usually helps me!