MadDogMikemember
29 posts

Posted:
My son and I were discussing a Luau coming up in July for a friend and said "Why can't we do fire spinning for entertainment, that sounds cool!" So at ages 47 & 19 we've started spinning. We ordered Charles Dolbel's "Art of Staff", reviewed lessons on this website, made a couple staffs, and have been practicing the basics.

Need to start doing choreography and are looking for some tips and ideas for 2 spinners. 1 spinner lefthand and the other righthand (mirror image)? Staff passes between spinners? Light one end of one staff and pass the fire around until all 4 ends are flaming?

Also need some suggestions for Polynesian music suitable for spinning. And how do most people extinguish the flames at the end of a performance? Wet towel? Sand? Water?

Thanks for your help

"Better to burn out than it is to rust" - Neil Young

EwokkiBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
For putting the staves out i would recomend the towel over the other two, they would just damage the wicks.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Personally I wouldn't recommend wet towels or water, as they will damage the wicks. Use a large old rug or blanket, lay it flat on the ground, and then double it over to cover the flaming wick. Cut off the oxygen with the blanket and the flame will die instantly.

As for choreography, get yourselves set up somewhere with a big window or mirror nearby so you can see yourselves, and just try stuff out. The simplest moves often look the most effective if they're executed smoothly. Mock fight sequences can look quite nice (swinging staff at your partners ankles, they jump it while swinging theirs over your head, then vice versa.)

Best of luck! Let us know how it went.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
This video (if it's the one i think it is) should have some really nice pairs choreography with single staff near the end

(link points to www.fieryarts.net/video/FlameOz.wmv)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

MadDogMikemember
29 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your tips. The video is perfect - nice 2 man set at the end. I don't expect to perform at that level by July smile but it gives me an idea about what can be done. Most of the videos I have found are singles, know of anymore team spinning videos?

The FlameOz girls are HOT! Nothing like leather and fire to get a man's blood boiling. "The smell of burning leather..." The Tubes-Don't Touch Me There.

"Better to burn out than it is to rust" - Neil Young

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
hey guys, firstly I would recomend dropping the "one left hand, one right hand" thought process... learn both and do both!!!
have you tried any acobalance? there are some nice moves you can do standing on thighs/shoulders etc. please don't try any of this without someone who knows what they are doing though, check out a local circus space and they might be able to help you : )

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Eveish

hey guys, firstly I would recomend dropping the "one left hand, one right hand" thought process... learn both and do both!!!
have you tried any acobalance? there are some nice moves you can do standing on thighs/shoulders etc. please don't try any of this without someone who knows what they are doing though, check out a local circus space and they might be able to help you : )

i've seen it done just sitting on shoulders with pretty impressive results. biggrin girl on top with poi, guy on bottom with staff. good tip too. i like it as -- "learn to fall before you learn to rise."

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
shoulder stands are easy its all about the balabce....just make sure you have someone spottingyou til you feel comfy also just google acrobalce itl come up with loads of tutorial videos, as for doulbles moves i really like the basic ones (basics done well are hard to beat) face each other and do a figure of 8 around each others back (one with staff in left hand and one with right) good luck hug

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
ah, just a word of advicem shoulder stands are easy, but they can also be DANGEROUS when not done properly!!! do some research, and dont break your partners neck!!
some hints, Flier (person on top) stand with your toes pointing at 90 degs, heels into the back of their neck. Base - Hold down on the backs of their calf muscle, press down for more stability... but serioulsy guys, look it up or find someone to teach acrobalance or adagio.

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
try some of the circles of light videos,all the more recent videos have synched staff and poi sections,
stopping and starting to achange in rythm or melody can be cool,
good luck
tim

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
as the flame decreases i speed up until my staff has only one lit wick ,i then using a backhand tennis motion i swipe the stick round pirouetting my body360 ......... the flame is extinguished.i find putting the "put out" onto you act work better than wondering off to a towel somewhere.it seems to be a good crowd pleaser
tim