Page:
ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Hey, i've said this a dosen times to myself and my friends, i'm going to get fit. Personaly I don't like doing exercise, apart from swimming(But not liking people seeing my body puts me off). Right, question is what would be more effective to get rid of my man boobs and gut, jogging or swimming. Which one would be more rewarding, personaly I prefer swimming as I can keep swimming for almost 3 times as long as jogging. But I feel more physicaly drained and tired from jogging then swimming.
Can anyone give me some advice, if i decide to take up swimming i'd go about 3 times a week for 90minute sessions at a time(i've found the perfect times which means I don't waste my 3 hour breaks in between college lessons at the coffee shop). I'd most likely be swimming with a friend of mine who's getting fit for the RAF.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Hi, I'm currently going through the same thing you are, although I'm a few weeks ahead now, I ve wanted to shift some excess weight for a while it seems the last 4 years of my life ive been on diets that just fail and fail and fail, why? like of will power I guess.

Firstly the key to getting fit starts in the mind, fit mind fit body, and also if your in the right mind zone when you workout not only will it be more effective but you will be less likely to give up.

Drink LOTS of water, it will rehydrate your body and will often curb those hunger pangs, you need around 8 pints a day. Is it at all possible for you to join a gym?

Buy yourself one of these

Non-Https Image Link

Its called a speed rope and costs about 3.99 from any sports shop I think even argos sell it (dont get a plain skipping rope) I bought one and it has already done wonders for me, if you can skip for even 20 mins you will around 400 calories, and you can do it in your own home, stick on a film or put some music on and try it, I didn't even know how to skip when I got one, now I'm a regular rocky wink. Also if you think you acnt bear going for long jogs or anything try this other option, 10 minutes, go for a jog for 10 minutes but bring your speed rope with you in your pocket, when your knackered sit down for 5 mins then pull out the rope and skip for 10 mins, rest for 5 then jog 10 mins back home, it shouldnt feel overly stressful and when you get back you can look back on what you just odne and your heart will be thankful! biggrin

Also I'd suggest getting a monthly magazine called 'Men's Health' It is packed full of useful tips for getting fit, improving mental well being etc, it isn't solely a fitness magazine or anything like that, just think of it as FHM only a bit less girls, more on looking after yourself.

Good Luck, hope I've helped, like I said I'm going through a similar thing like you are and I recently almost gave in but this thread has reassured me, if you wanna chat about anything send us a PM

Take it easy

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
I started Muay Thai about 2 months ago and the warm up is the most tiring exercie I had done ever I was nearly sick at the end it was that bad. (the fact I had done no proper exercise in 5 years could have been a factor as well.)

But after a few sessions I have got used to it (sort of wink ) and I am really really enjoying it. But yeah if your looking for somthing to get rid of those man boobies and have a fun hobby than this will definatly help.

just a thought

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

278 posts

Posted:
First session over. I didn't think I would actualy say this, but I feel pretty alright. Besides from the sore lower back and shoulders I feel good. I didn't swim for aslong as I would have liked (30 minutes to be truthful). Also on a truthful note, people 3 times my age were overtaking me in the pool. Gutted. I'll stick with it though, I'm going tomorrow morning and wendesday morning. Possibly friday afternoon aswell. Keep ya posted. I was thinking about getting a Jump rope, but never got around to it.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
You should take your time and build up how long you spend anyways so what you did was good...and soon enough you will be overtaking all the old codgers in the pool...

278 posts

Posted:
How long can I expect to wait before I see changes in myself, if i dramaticly improve my diet.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
If you have a set of scales and you stick with the diet (not a crash diet but just eating healthy) and the exercise you should start seeing that you are losing some of the fat within about two weeks (maybe sooner depends on how hard you work yourself though I don't think working yourself really hard when you first start is a good thing!)

You will start to notice physically probably about week three mark...again depending on the above it may be sooner....

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Hey Thumperabbit, the BBC site is good for nutrition advice:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_weight/eatingwell_index.shtml

I need to watch it too! Since I moved in with Mot (only 3 months ago) and stopped doing the 20 minute cycle between his house & mine at least once a day, my tightest pair of trousers has started sending me warning signs.... eek

everyone's unique except me

278 posts

Posted:
Right now I actualy seem to be gaining bulk. Over the last 2 days or so I've noticed that my gut has gotten bigger since I started eating better and exercising :P Is this normal?

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Dont think so, but if youve started pumping out crunches everyday, your abs will be getting bigger (especially if you havent properly exercised them in a while).
Talking about crunches though, these wont really improve your finess or even cause any weight loss. For fitness you need cardiovascular exersice, although crunches are excellent for gaining core strength which will improve your overall ability to exercise, so keep them up.

In your first post you mentioned how you can swim for longer but jogging gets you tired quicker, this is probably because you're swimming at a pace equivelant to a walk. Obviously its hard to tell with swimming whereas there is a clear difference between walking, jogging and sprinting. Push yourself just a bit harder in the pool and you'll notice the difference.

I know you said swimming is the only exercise you really like, but rowing will get you fitter than any other sport, so if you have access to a rowing machine give that a bash (make sure your technique is good though or it wont be nearly as effective, when done properly rowing exercises everything). And theres the added benefit of seeing your efforts on the little screen in front of you so you keep and eye on your improvement and it'll make you push yourself harder.

One last thing: short, high powered bursts will get you fitter than long slow ones, ie a few sprints will benefit you more than a long run. I dont know what exercises you do in the pool, but try something like a gentle 500m warm up and then some 50m sprints, just a few with 30 sec rests (that'll definately get you knackered)

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Page: