Forums > Help! > website hosting ( beware - rant within!)

Login/Join to Participate

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Ok so after having billing problems with lycos I switched to canada based bravenet about a year ago. Recently I bought another domain and account. So I log on today and that new account has been deleted, after i spent ages uploading vids, pics, etc. so I log into the old one and it said that one's been suspended. I've opened enquiry tickets for it and am awaiting help.

In the mean time, I'm looking for reliable hosting, that will be close to the great deal I had with bravenet's premium package but is based in the UK. Can anyone recommend anything, preferably one that can take visa electron payments.

cheers,

The Tink wave

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
do you really need all that space and bandwidth?

If so, then dreamhost (https://www.dreamhost.com/) is good. they're not in the UK, but then I doubt you'll find anyone that good in the UK.

opensourcehost.com is another good one, but it offers less bandwidth and space (Play 2006 is running on them).

If you want less bandwidth then I can give you hosting from my server - just PM me smile

good luck, and report back on who you go with!

hug

(PS, I have a few providers in mind who you should not go with, if you like I can give my opinion if you find someonoe, but I think PM is a better place for that...)

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
thought of paying a little more for a local company

might cost you more, but its worth it somtimes

Step (el-nombrie)

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
The thing is, I'm planning on getting lots of vids online, plus every picture i took at school, when i get the chance to pick them up from mum's. so bandwith is more of a priority then actual space.

Sym - I was just being greedy, but it was a wicked cheap deal and i thought - "why not?"

another thing, i got lots of other peoples pics that i said i'd store online for them, and its letting them down too. eek

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
in that case, i'd say dreamhost is the one for you - they have very good reviews and you get 1tb bandwidth a month - thats loads and loads!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
ok cool Sym, I'll check it out!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
i've got unlimited space from www.streamline.net. You pay for the package by the year or for two years so it's a heftier sum initially but you get a free domain name, email accounts (five or ten i can't remember), and it works out pretty cheap, it's very basic web server though so no fancy web designers or anything, means you need to be able to code or have dreamweaver/similar.... hosted in the UK too.... i've had it nearly a year now, (although have been really rubbish with making an actual website, 'tis handy for transferring docs and stuff though) and it's been very reliable, and you have complete control over the website content, no advertising or anything. They have lots of different packages as well at varying prices, but the unlimited one worked out to be a pretty reasonable price, about £3.75 a month for 2 years....? the price they quote doesn't include VAT, but mine was £90 total.

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
Ok so after waiting and waiting i finally purchased hosting from dreamhost.com. (cheers for the link sym!)

its online now but still a bit buggy, organising a forum for it too, to act as a guestbook type thing. link for site is in my profile.

Yesssss! *punches air triumphantly*

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
biggrin no worries - I'm sure you'll repay me by adding a link to Play festival... wink

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
of course but now i cant even access it - other people can but i cant log in via my ftp prog or view the damn page. is it a firewall problem? help help! grrrr

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
mmm, that seems odd - maybe waiting an hour or so will clear it up, if not you can try going to start > run > type cmd then in the black box type

tracert everybody-loves-tink.com

and tell us what you see....

You can also try typeing (in the same box):

ipconfig /flushdns

and tring to to access it again...

hug

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
My router was being an arse - unplugged it - now its workin fine. hurrah!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Hey guys I'm in the market for hosting at the moment. How' re you finding dream hosting twink?

Anybody else got good recommendations or could direct me to a good place for hosting reviews... thanks
J wink

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
What do you want from it? Open source host is great (it's running the play site well), A2 hosting is very good too (the support is really amazing!)

I've never used dreamhost, but I know it's a good deal.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I use UKWSD.

Support is awesome and I've never experienced any problems at all.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Thanks, will look into them...

I want to run a Board, a shop, mulitple domains and would preferably want a high bandwidth to host videos.

Dreamhost looks good but they are oversold and their customer service is bad by the looks of things.

Cartika Hosting is good. Starts at 10 euro a month but only 5 Gb monthly transfer and 350 MB space....

That seems little to me though I've never run a site before... smile

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

What do you want from it? Open source host is great (it's running the play site well), A2 hosting is very good too (the support is really amazing!)

I've never used dreamhost, but I know it's a good deal.

Good deal is an understatement - I'm very happy with them. I want to marry them and have their babies!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
see above... www.streamline.net it sounds a lot because you pay it all at once, but works out not much different to other packages, you get unlimited MB, and you don't have to even think about faffing around with renewing and what not for 2 years. I don't know whether other hosting services provide you with templates or guides or whatever, streamline doesn't so i suppose it's not good if you have no clue about website hosting, but other than that, i like 'em and have never had problems with their servers going down or anything like that. not that i'm aware of anyway. not sure about the shop aspect though, wouldn't you need a secure server for that?

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Hey guys. Thanks for the advice.
Streamline's site annoyed me because they didn't make it clear how much bandwidth was in each packet.

Dreamhost worried me because of their customer service reviews.

opensource was pricey, I thought.

After scouring www.webhostingreview.com and hsreview.com a good bit I've gone with www.hostgator.com.

I got a great deal and they have brilliant review. I'lll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again guys! smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im having hosting nightmares myself at the moment.

NEVER EVER USE GISOL/ GHSOL/ GLOBAL INTERNET SOLUTIONS - THEY ARE A BUNCH OF SCAM ARTISTS AND BASCIALLY UTTERLY NASTY PEOPLE. Go google for "Gisol review" and see all the negative reports about them. frown
They are currently holding my domain hostage.

Im currently looking at www.unitedhosting.co.uk as they seem to be really good based on online reviews, and how helpful their support team has been to us, and we arent even customers yet. smile

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
IF your looking for good hosting then try contacting

www.moltenpixel.co.uk

They offer a wide range of customisable options.... fast and reliable service too.

QUOTE my name PK when contacting them.

Hosting is never trouble free, I have had my fair share over the years... always remember what you pay for is what you get.