Forums > Technical Discussion > wire rope/ cable-- how to attach?

Login/Join to Participate

Albonienewbie
2 posts

Posted:
I'm getting so sick of my tangly chains, I'd really like to get rid of them and use cables instead. But how would I attach my heads and fingerloops to them? Right now I just have them linked onto the chains with keyrings which works really well for taking them on & off. But a cable of course has no place to hook them to? Any tips?
EDITED_BY: Albonie (1136054706)

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Here's an example of some HoP cable cords found in the HoP shop:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/images/Pictures/fire_poi/wire_cords.gif

You would need to go to a hardware store or the like and get a teardrop connector piece that the cord wraps into (can be seen at top and bottom of pic above), then you need a to crimp the cord end to the cord body in a kinda sleeve that secures the ends. Hardware store would be able to help you out on this.

Many folks dislike cables for various reasons tho, including their bad reactions to tangles (such as perma-bend and fray). I've never used cable cords myself, so not entirely sure...

Hope that helps..

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Sorry Dude, you may find out for yourself, but to dispense my personal advice and save you a little time and experience (if that's - philosophically speaking - possible)

Use chains! rolleyes

Cables have not even closely the same spinning flexibility and once ONE string of that cable brakes you will most certainly experience some painful scratching! :ouch:

Try out for yourself if you have to and please: if you have any other experiences - let me know!

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

jublianGOLD Member
x
108 posts

Posted:
Jublian's Sleep Deprived Logic:

Maybe some thicker cables, so they wouldn't crimp, thick. Or even solid perhaps....

wait footinmouth

"Quote coming soon..."

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Indeed.. chains are a good way to go.. If your chains are self-tangling while spinning, then you'll probably want to look into getting a swivel for them. This will allow the poi head to spin with it's inertia without spinning the chains up as well.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
CHAINS CHAINS CHAINS CHAINS CHAINS...
Thou should chooseth not the cables, if it is non-tangly chains thou dost want, listen to Sui, for he hath a simple answer, that allows thee to steer clear of thine heathen choice of cables...

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.