Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
This list represents what I consider 'base' contact movements. Most other moves are combinations of these moves, variations, or these movements transfered to a different plane. [indeed some of these movements are combinations of others, but they're interesting enough to be granted their own name.] These moves can be broken down into their component parts, but the way I present them here is as symmetrical (hopefully) movements. So for instance you can end a SNES with a vertical steve arm roll, but you'd break the symmetry of the SNES, so I don't present that here.

You may disagree with this list, like it not having a palmspin in it, but the palmspin I felt was too 'small' a move, both for a tutorial, and in ... well, maybe I should have.... oh well.

They are in rough order of difficulty and impressiveness. It all depends on how you learn thou.

Hand Wraps

Neck Wraps

Body Part Spins

Shoulder Wraps

Fishtails

Halo Roll

Conveyor Belt

Angel Roll

The Pivot

SNES

Halo 360

Steve

Jesus

Matrix

any additions? Suggestions?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
:?

?

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Written by:

mcp

if you start to get all notationy and scientific on my ass, I will have to run away....

I cant afford it. Who I will talk than with? smile

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Hi Meg,

Shoulder wraps 1:43 sec - ah hem, you might want to edit that!!!

Also why do the clips seem to have sound included in the files??

I think that the teaching resource is brilliant, but I don't understand the classifications, I'm not sure what you mean by "base movement". eg Why is a "pivot" a base move when its a combination of 2 other moves?
For me I would say that most of these clips show families - like shoulder wraps
or heads of families shows matrix then other matrix variations/family members. (eg your Matrix clip)

A "fundamental" move might be a
a flat spin - horizontal on the palm or any part of the body. and other simpler movements like this
a wrap -
a roll -
a hold -
a trap -
a walk - (with the staff)
a balance
- etc etc.

Any comments/ can you explain?

Smiles and thanks again
Drew

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
I've done it again and been boring haven't I. Ummm Sorry smile biggrin tongue

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I could teach the various 'components' that make up all those 'big' contact movements, but I don't believe it would actually help to learn those big movements. It would probably only serve to confuse and force people to reinvent the wheel. (and maybe reinvent contact movements too.) biggrin

I called them base, cos a: they seem to be the bases for many variations, and they are the ones I would teach people, then tell them about the variations. (Like I do in the videos.) eek wink

I mean, I keep searching about, but I haven't found a contact move (that isn't 'static') that's radically different from them. (a new family)

I should maybe put the throat / chest / throat version of the halo 360 in there, but I've already put the word version in.... I would consider the sweep too, if it wasn't so easy. And a variation on the snes.

I just put the pivot in cos it's cool. I mean, why put the angel roll in, when it's kindof a halo roll variation, or also a vertical steve variation in some ways. It's just different enough to be worth teaching.

oh, yeah and the shoulder wraps... oh well, I'm sure people will get the idea from the twenty other times I do it properly... And if not, orange will slap them.

hug wink ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
?

I think what I'm saying is: Yes Drew you're right, but I don't want to be completely correct, proper and accurate, I just to teach people.

If a contact staff notation had appealed to me, I would have made one already. (thou the idea is growing on me.)

and I agree with richee. This discussion is rather interesting, in the otherwise nuclear wasteland of the staff forums.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Quote Meg: "I could teach the various 'components' that make up all those 'big' contact movements, but I don't
> believe it would actually help to learn those big movements. It would probably only serve to confuse and force
> people to reinvent the wheel. (and maybe reinvent contact movements too.) "

Kathy Forsyth from Twirlmania doesn't agree with you:
https://www.twirlmania.com/TIPSrolls.htm
Coments?

Quote Meg: " I keep searching about, I haven't found a contact move (that isn't 'static') that's radically different
> from them. (a new family) "
You should search harder or think more sideways. there are loads more biggrin ubblol angel

Not really about notation, I agree that would be a waste of time, more about classification/understanding.

As for my first comment above, "Shoulder wraps 1:43 sec" it a revese/forwards being reversed. I was trying to be subtle for you smile

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
megs a question - why can i do horizontal neck wraps and not vertical ones?

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
er... cos vertical ones are faster and tend to fall off quicker? Have you got the centerpoint in the right place, and you're not just throwing it over your neck?

Non-Https Image Link

glass: Well I would like to think I had done some of those things: "Sometimes "catch" is a naughty word" and: " Correct position of hand, arm, or elbow Balance point of baton"

thou maybe not: "Maintain a positive attitude when teaching rolls" and "Break the roll down into its elements so that the athlete has a complete understanding of what will make it work."

I think maybe you are taking elements to a lower level than I am. I would have 'assumed' those elements were the two elbow wraps and the hand transfer in between. (I'm sure you know the movement I'm talking about) I take it you would break it down further?

Anyway, I'm not training atheletes, I'm training HIPPIES! wink

Oh is it? I thought it was that it rolled down my arm instead of just wrapping my shoulder.

>You should search harder or think more sideways. there are loads more

this is the kind of annoying gimpiness that annoys me. Examples, explainations? Or just annoying silence? hug

I know maybe five times the amount of movements that are shown in those videos. But I would decribe them all using names from those videos. (Or in reference to them) (apart from the lynx, but maybe I would refer to the elbow wrap...) Hmmm, maybe pinches could be added....

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

er... cos vertical ones are faster and tend to fall off quicker? Have you got the centerpoint in the right place, and you're not just throwing it over your neck?

That type of answer belongs [Old link] wink

god knows what i'm doing wrong. i do keep dodging the cooker though, as i've already chipped off a bit of the ceramic eek

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
look! I gave you a nice gif to examine!

I mean Really!

analogy:

"Hey I keep falling off my bike! What do I need to do different?"

"grow some arms and legs! You can't ride a bike without them."

y'know? Anything could be wrong, how am I supposed to telepathically understand what's you're doing wrong, when you're only description is that it's going wrong? eek confused no offense like. hug

Oh and I might add Kathy Forsythe can kiss my ass! wink

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
but you're the all-knowing all-seeing meg!
I'm rather disenchanted now... wink
and your lot made my staff - maybe you jinxed it! eek

but seriously - i think i'm spinning it too fast. should i slow down? or spin faster - for that element of danger? ubbangel

you don't have to reply to that, i'm just talking jobbies again.

*looks at gif intently*

oopsie i see what i'm doing wrong now.

*goes off to practice*

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: TinklePants

*looks at gif intently*

oopsie i see what i'm doing wrong now.

*goes off to practice*

now that's enlightenment. cool

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
maybe i should tie my hair back too!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
CUT IT OFF.!!!!

I am on saturday biggrin

what your doing wrong tink is not coming to southampton for proper lessons from some-one good biggrin

(i mean strugz....well meg...he's not THAT bad... wink )

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
well at least he has a name that you can pronouce! Mincey, I mean REALLY!

OooOOO, I've replied too many times on this thread and it's gone off topic. I'm going to wait for droooooooooo.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
*rises above it*

I like your matrix tutorial...my mate simon put in a 180 degree turn between each half of the matrix...some times it looks bloody good. because of the way the body turns away from the stick seems to prolong the rotations

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
lol,

if you ever get out spinning miss tinkle I will teach you old school style.

no need to go as far south as edinburgh to recive serious bruising...

tho megs bruising is more impressive, its cos she hits herself with buildings as well as sticks.

hug

T weavesmiley

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
Me? go out spinning? without permission? oh god thats terrible!

Mynci - don't cut your air! its tre coolio - you and meg could be twins lmfao ubblol

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

well at least he has a name that you can pronouce! Mincey, I mean REALLY!

That's how I've been pronouncing it too! biggrin

Welsh git...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
roflmao

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Henry...your cruisin' for a bruisin' wink

me and meg twins eek no way...she doesn't pout enough tongue

besides Her doubles are better than mine frown

are there any elbow contact tutorials in that lot (work PC crap for watching the vids) coz i really wanna work on elbow lock and elbow fish tails...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
If you will listen carefully there is one moment where Meghan is answering question and say:

"Im making little tutorial"

When I heared it my heart beat twice faster,

love and light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mynci

Henry...your cruisin' for a bruisin' wink

What, from old Mincey Poofta Daffyd?

Piffle... Straighten that wrist ya dandy!

I have a love and hatred for Meg. Her videdos are fantastice to learn from. But they make me feel so terrible at spinning (Mincey, shaddap! tongue )... makes me almost wanna give up...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
But you too can spin like me! Or better! With my new product: Practise! Garanteed to make you a 100% better spinner! Or your Money back!

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
We have to pay to practice now? eek

I'm only a student... I can't cope! ubbcrying

ubblol

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
First class mcp

cheers smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i'm going to not download an of these, and say:

well done meg *hug*

and stick my hand up for brownie poins cause i've started practising again biggrin sinnce VandO

biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Page: