Forums > Social Chat > Peter Jackson's KING KONG

Login/Join to Participate

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
Well I can die happy now.

Come on, tell me this movie doesn't have the potential to save the world. Go ahead and try. But in 2 weeks we are all going to wake up to a perfect world thanks to Pete.

That beautiful moment...

Seriously, I think this movie will hopefully bring some people to realise the nature of consciousness. Or rather, the
consciousness of nature. You internalize the action when it is so poignant and relevant on a worldwide level. Or am I just a tree hugger? Well, I think this great work will be the new beacon for the naturalist and environmentalist point of view.

And the fight scene with the T-rex... UNTOPPABLE!!!! I was squirming in my seat like a smitten schoolgirl.

biggrin

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I haven't seen it yet but who wouldn't want to see a giant monkey biggrin

(and before anyone says anything I know it's an Ape ubblol )

king mynci wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

Well I can die happy now.

Come on, tell me this movie doesn't have the potential to save the world. Go ahead and try. But in 2 weeks we are all going to wake up to a perfect world thanks to Pete.

That beautiful moment...

Seriously, I think this movie will hopefully bring some people to realise the nature of consciousness. Or rather, the
consciousness of nature. You internalize the action when it is so poignant and relevant on a worldwide level. Or am I just a tree hugger? Well, I think this great work will be the new beacon for the naturalist and environmentalist point of view.

And the fight scene with the T-rex... UNTOPPABLE!!!! I was squirming in my seat like a smitten schoolgirl.

To answer your question, yes you are a pretentious tree hugger. BUT in a movie featuring a giant ape realisticly fighting a T-rex it is aceptable to make wild and outlandish claims about the effects of the movie to get people to watch it. smile

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'll be going to see it at some point in the near future, even though I already have major problems with it.

Actually, to be more accurate, I have major problems with the advertising - we should never have been able to see Kong in any shape or form before sitting down in the cinema.
We all know he's a giant ape, but Instead of having the suspense of what he actually looks like, we get posters all over the place, merchanise everywhere and clips on the tv.

Personally, I'd have preferred to go watch it not knowing much at all about it - the T-Rex fight would have come as a complete surprise and I'd have no idea at all about the plot - exactly the way I like going into a film. Am I the only one who hates this?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
erm...bovril is the film a completely new story then? I thought most people new thestory of King kong....

I can understand what you are saying but trying to be secretive about a plot that has ALREADY been on the big screen albeit slightly different.

King Kong was the reason Jackson got into film making I can't imagine it would be THAT diverse from the original plot, the suspense and secrecy style of advertising would have been wasted on this movie surely?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
hmmm...the topic of secrecy kinda reminded me of like 1999 when The Matrix was advertised?...was the only thing advertised like a black screen and 'What is the Matrix?' printed on it?...either that or my memory's completely shot.

Sorry for the off-topic-ness but i kinda agree that it's pointless to not show Kong in the ads, since you kinda already know it's gonna be a beautifully animated CGI ape, so why hide it?

It's better to burn out than to fade away

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
??

I suppose i see your point, like with "alien," but the movie isn't really about the wonder of his appearance, it's about the story of him and his personality, and humanity. his size is more of an afterthought to the plot, not something to be hidden and "popped on us". and who goes to see it not knowing he's big? and as for the trex, the original version had one so it's only a surprise to the few who haven't seen or headr of the original.

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Glad you enjoyed it biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
hah, and here I was thinking it was going to be a stupid movie.

You win again Mr. Jackson. smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Jackson is doing the Halo movie as well.

As long as I don't see Master Cheif sufing down some stairs shooting at The Covenant I will enjoy the movie.

Hopefully...

Maybe..

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
You know that was just for the Legolas fangirls.

Comon, admit it. You wish you could surf down stairs and own orcs with elite shooting skillz. :P

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

10,530 posts

Posted:
I have elite shooting skillz.

And I can surf.

Point me to a set of steps with some orcs on it and we'll see what happens. biggrin

Monkey goes raaaaaaaaah!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
It's not just about showing kong, although that's a part of it - it's the fact that you can get almost the whole plot from trailers and advertising before the film's even been released.

It's been a while since I watched the original, there are parts that I've forgotten - I'd prefer to be reminded while watching the film instead of driving past a bus stop with a poster stuck on the side.

It just takes away all the suspense and surprise which to me make up a large part of going to see a film at the cinema, instead of just waiting until it's released on dvd and watching at home.

Maybe I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't so damned expensive, but if I'm paying the (quite frankly absurd) prices to watch a film at the cinema, I don't want to know everything that happens before I even step inside.

*shrugs* Maybe I should have held off for a bit and posted my comments into a new thread - they apply to film advertising in general rather than just to this film.
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1134763388)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
elite shooting skills????

explain please

10,530 posts

Posted:
I agree with Bov... Ads tend to ruin atmosphere that a movie can promise just by showing the thrilling bits on TV.

*Two blokes are watching TV, and an add comes on. Its a movie ad. Montage of action clips follows*

Bloke 1: Hell, I ain't paing a fiver to go see that movie now..
Bloke 2: Why not?
Bloke 1: I just saw all the best parts for free.

smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Tongan Ninja!

eek

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
I saw Kong last night. It's certainly worth seeing in theater. I wasn't all that keen on some of the themes (i'm not a big fan of romantic tragedies), but some of the moments (like the stampede and the t-rex fight) left me on the edge of my seat with my mouth hanging open.

I still think the LOTR movies were better, (better actors, better pacing, and better source material), but I think Peter Jackson is the best epic action movie producer every. If only they had gotten him to help do the Star Wars prequals...

I'm so happy that he has been tapped to make the Halo movies. The Halo games are my all time favorites, and I shudder to think that someone like Uwe Boll might have gotten his hands on the movie rights. He's been royally screwing up some perfectly good opportunities to turn great games into great movies... I can't believe he's still getting the rights to the material.

If Peter Jackson made a movie in which Masterchief slides down a flight of stairs while shooting at a T-Rex, I will be happy to purchase a ticket.

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
yay for new zealand film directors..... wink

Are you up for it?
wink;)

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
I gotta say this.

I went to the movie not expecting to really like it. i mean, king kong? WTF?
I also went thinking... "well i already know what the movie is about." I even read the full reviews before i went, to try to decide if i wanted to see it.

but this movie is way more than the sum of a few scenes.
i was SERIOUSLY fighting back the tears at the end. i was touched.

i would hump peter's leg if i could, just to show my true appreciation.

now that's a good movie. i rarely hump legs for less than epic.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I can't wait to see this movie.

Speaking of Kong, that Burger King advert that says

KONG YOUR WHOPPER

makes me giggle so much (thanks to my insatiably dirty mind) biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
you would rolleyes

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
better than "wong your copper"

unless you're a cop, i guess wink

10,530 posts

Posted:
Seeing it tommorow!

Yays and such!

biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
punching t-rex, more of it please!

kong was one neurotic ape, man, the big dude makes woody allen look calm.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
we went and saw it for part of our work "do" and i thought it was awsum! part from the ending. i almost cryed.

thats all i have to say. i thought it was brillent biggrin

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*